KBoards.com banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I ordered graphite because I do think it will look good enough that I won't need a skin, like I have on my K2 now. I had a Sony Touch last year, which was black, and I wasn't tempted to get a skin for it. For some reason black looks fine, while my white Kindle just needs to have a skin. But who knows -- after a few months with the graphite I may change my mind. I didn't get a skin for my K2 until I had it 4 months so that may happen again.

The black also does work better in my opinion for framing the reading screen and making the contrast appear better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Patrizia,

Patrizia said:
Try as I might it just looks dingy and very masculine to me.
I agree with you.
I love how the K3 white looks. Unfortunately they don't seem to offer it for my country, so I had to order it graphite.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I recently took my dark skin off my K2, and was shocked at how grey (dark) the screen looked against the white case. I like the white kindle in theory, but since the new screen background is only a tiny bit lighter than the K2, I think I'll still feel the white case makes the screen look darker than with a dark case.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Personal preference....

Because it looks so much better than the stark white.

Just like with Oberon's -- why would somebody put such a bulky overbearing cover on such a sleek clean device -- just can't see it. 

It all comes down to personal preference....

·
Super Moderator
67,218 Posts
I don't personally think it looks any more masculine than the white.  I just think it looks more classy.  I put a skin on my K1, 'cause I was not in love with it's 'retro' vibe. . . .I chose a woodgrain pattern. . . .never did skin the DX 'cause there's just not that much that shows, but it did make me realize I preferred a darker color. . . .so graphite it is! :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Patrizia said:
Like many of you I ordered the wifi 3G and I was looking at Leslies poll and saw most of you ordered graphite.
Try as I might it just looks dingy and very masculine to me. I am curious.. what am I missing.. why did you go for the graphite.

I keep looking at it but can;t seem to get on board with it..
I like a dark frame around the Kindle screen. On my current K2, I have the matte Solid State Black skin. It's very elegant looking, actually - like a 'little black dress'. :D The graphite allows me to have the black frame in a nice clean skinless look. Very sleek, in my opinion. I can indulge my love for color with my covers - Red!!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I love the white. The graphite just didn't appeal to me. It doesn't matter anyway, it will have a skin as soon as they come out. I just love changing skins.  ;D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm getting graphite with an orange cover to match the colors of my most prized possession. :)

Seriously, though, I am getting a graphite for the perceived contrast boost and because I'm getting a cover with light and I think the graphite will reflect the LED less so it will be more comfortable to look at for long periods of time.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
malligator said:
I'm getting graphite with an orange cover to match the colors of my most prized possession. :)

Seriously, though, I am getting a graphite for the perceived contrast boost and because I'm getting a cover with light and I think the graphite will reflect the LED less so it will be more comfortable to look at for long periods of time.
Cool! Way to personalize your Kindle!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My K2 was getting dingy from me eating while reading so I bought a skin for it.  To keep it clean.  With graphite, I do not have to worry about it any more.  ;)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
If they had fuschia, I'd order one!

I just put a new dark skin on my K2 and thought of how much better it would have blended into a dark kindle. Wish Decalgirl made the skins to cover all the white.  It's Monet Waterlilies.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks all for the great responses.. a few things I want to comment on.

First of all I never said masculine is unattractive but I admit it, I am a girly girl so masculine things don't appeal to me (was not trying to offend anyone, it was just a question)

I agree with many of you that mention the all black.. I would have gone for that, I love it on my I pad and I won't put a skin on that because of it.

It seems that those of you that have seen the graphite in person like it. I do find the white stark but I am like many of you and plan to throw a skin on it.

Brats.. you make a good point.. since I am an Oberon girl that does make sense with the straps.

I wish I knew what skins decalgirl was putting out.. maybe that could help me decide which route to go.. you guys are great and I really appreciate all your views on it! This board has changed my mind on more then one accessories.. Lord knows I have the covers, skins and bags to prove it :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the Graphite DX and I find that it really disappears more than the white casing on the K2. Even with a skin, the white buttons and edge around the screen on the K2 were always there, and were just bright enough against whatever I was reading that I always "saw" them, if you know what I mean. With the dark color of the graphite, even without a skin, it really does just go away, and I find it much more comfortable and less distracting to read on. (Plus a dark skin looks REALLY good, see my avatar pic or gallery thread with my DX Graphite photos.)

In person, it's a very nice dark gray color, not dingy at all, and while I'm not as much of a girly girl as you  :D I would consider it more sleek than masculine.

Then again, I've always preferred black electronics to silver.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
meglet said:
I have the Graphite DX and I find that it really disappears more than the white casing on the K2. Even with a skin, the white buttons and edge around the screen on the K2 were always there, and were just bright enough against whatever I was reading that I always "saw" them, if you know what I mean. With the dark color of the graphite, even without a skin, it really does just go away, and I find it much more comfortable and less distracting to read on. (Plus a dark skin looks REALLY good, see my avatar pic or gallery thread with my DX Graphite photos.)

In person, it's a very nice dark gray color, not dingy at all, and while I'm not as much of a girly girl as you :D I would consider it more sleek than masculine.

Then again, I've always preferred black electronics to silver.
It's your Kindle that convinced me that I needed the Graphite. It looks AMAZING with that skin on. You don't even notice the buttons or anything.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Patrizia,

The graphite is indeed rich-looking and classy, one could even say elegant. It is a nice choice by Amazon being less ordinary, or stark, as black might be, IMHO. Big thumbs up.

Having the DXG now for a while, I have decided not to skin it (or my upcoming K3) as I have my previous white Kindles. I prefer the look of the graphite, as it really enhances the beautiful Pearl e-ink display and hence my reading experience. With the interior of Amazon's cover, it completely "disappears" while reading (as I expect it will with any gray or black interior, i.e. Oberon).

It is a color that is equally appealing to male or female.

Personally, I am really tired of looking at white anything, thanks to Steve Jobs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Most of the reasons that I chose black have already been mentioned but wanted to bring up a new revelation.  I bought my K2i four weeks ago and put the DecalGirl black and red Bullseye skin on it only a week ago, but it bugged me that the white showed at the edges.  Since I was within the 30 day window when they announced the K3, I immediately ordered a graphite.  When I pulled off the skin to send it back, which had only been on for a week, I was astonished how different it looked when it was bare white again.  It almost looked ugly!  I may or may not skin my Graphite K3, but the same skin will look much better on it than on the white.

My wife on the other hand, had the DecalGirl Orange Crush skin which fades to white from right to left.  It really looks good on the white.  She went and looked at all of the DecalGirl skins again and decided that for the designs she likes, they will look better on a white, so she ordered a white K3.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Electronics and appliances go through phases of colors being popular.  When I bought my microwave, silver or stainless was the most popular, although they were still selling white.  Apple made white popular with it's first few generation of kindles and then they went to black.  They change the various colors of their nano with each new gen (sometimes they come up with some ugly colors, in my opinion).

As far as dinginess, it's not an issue.  Whether black , white or skinned the dirt is still there and the kindle should be wiped down now and then.  Germs are still there too no matter what the color.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
so those of you that own it.. its not a dull dark grey? thats what I am seeing but those that have the color would you say its richer in person.

also GOOD point about the keys under the skin THAT I had not thought of

21 - 40 of 70 Posts