Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I assume from the lack of buttons that the designer intends for it to have a touch screen,  in addition to the obvious color and back lighting.  Perhaps this person would be happier with another device.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let's hope it isn't a basis for the K3 design.  I honestly prefer the K1 design but the K2 beats that concept.  I don't mind ditching the keyboard per-se (true, the keys are faster to work with than touchscreen for typing notes or annotations -- I can't be the only one using this extensively -- but I could deal with touch-screen if my life depended on it) but as for overall design arrogance I pray this Gregory Raiz gent never designs anything I'll need to use one day.

The device is meant for reading so it should be comfortable to read in any position, part of that is easy access to the controls, esp forward/back.  True, some decry the large buttons on the K1 but frankly they make the experience of reading far easier for the minute downside of oopsing yourself forward or back a page or three:  it's a more than fair trade off imho.  I'm not sure how the smaller buttons on the K2 will be, have to see when my wife's comes in.

Overall, though, why does every designer think that "proper design means everything looks like an star-trek prop or an iPod"?  K1s have personality...K2s look like should be applying to star fleet on it.

Gruntman, if you follow through the link you'll see his assumptions. 

·
Registered
788 Posts
Whenever I track down the person who decided that everything needs a touch screen I'm going to give him a good hard look at my Nintendo DS. I use a licensed screen protector to keep it from getting scratched by the stylus, and I have to clean that thing EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to play my DS because it clouds up.

I don't want to deal with that on my Kindle, my cell phone, my computer, or any more of my devices.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Hate touchscreen and only someone that wouldn't actually use a e reader would put the page buttons on the bottom of the device, assuming those are page buttons.

How about instead of touchscreen a voice activated thingy optional. Say next, or just set it to change page at a grunt  ;D.

·
Registered
493 Posts
V said:
Gruntman, if you follow through the link you'll see his assumptions.
Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I was right about him wanting touch screen, color,and back light. I've got to disagree with him on this. I have yet to enjoy a touch screen and battery life is important to me. It is apparent from reading his comments that he isn't likely to change his mind, but then neither am I.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I checked out Sony's touch screen -- hated it.  Although K1 had some design flaws, they were flaws that were easy to deal with.  And what, may I ask, is wrong with having a keyboard?  It seems to work and is even handy.  Keep that guy away from the K3 Design Team!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am one of the few who would love a touch screen (although i would still want the page turning buttons). I want it to be able to navigate the menus, highlight things, take notes and play puzzles. Unfortuanately, there is yet to be a good touch screen sysem for eInk although they are working on it (zTouch which will be an underlay and not kill batteries).

·
Registered
677 Posts
No thanks, I'll keep Kindra. Those buttons would be a pain to use. I actually like the buttons on my K1. I never even have to look at them to turn pages. And I hate touch screens. Fingerprints would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
493 Posts
tlshaw said:
No thanks, I'll keep Kindra. Those buttons would be a pain to use. I actually like the buttons on my K1. I never even have to look at them to turn pages. And I hate touch screens. Fingerprints would drive me nuts.
I agree. No love for the touch screen.

·
Registered
339 Posts
And what is up with the backlighting??  I realize this is not an actual concept mock up, but still...I agree with all that have said that this guy must not actually use an ereader.  Who wants to read for hours with a back lit screen??  ???

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it's possible... that thing is even more hideous than K1!!!  ;D

There, I said it.  Kindle 1 is butt ugly!  I love it and I never want to be without it but it's just so weirdly shaped! 

·
Registered
679 Posts
ElLector said:
NO TOUCHSCREEN! The Sony E-Reader in itself is getting horrible reviews for it. No touchscreen, please.
The problem with the Sony is they used a scren over the e0ink one too get touch... with ztouch, it is behind the eInk so no changes to the readability like they have with the Sony...

I do imagine if they ever go to touch in the Kindle, they will also offer a non-touch version.

Neversleepsawink;) said:
So far the design of K1 I like the best. Wish they wouldn't of changed it.
I actually perfer version 1 so far as well... i like the big buttons and the wedginess gives it more personality...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thing about e-Ink is you can't back-light it (it's not that hard to understand the technology) it'd have to be a side-light if anything, and to do that well you'd have to do some pretty odd things to achieve an even look across the viewing field.

Why does every device have to solve every possible problem native to the device? Are we so bloody incompetent as the dominate life-form on the planet that we can't think "hey, let's buy a multi-use device that I can use to light books and a kindle and, gosh, anything else that needs to be lit up"? I was almost expecting him to accost Amazon for not including integrated, retractable headphones (or ear-buds) since it could play music.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.