Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Other (in the comments)

Votes: 17 34.7%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you want Amazon to improve in the new kindle? The top two contenders are a touchscreen or color display.
EDIT: and yes, guys, I do mean the color will be e-ink or mirasol, same with the touchscreen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Color would be nice, but only if it is an eInk color screen.  I would not want a kindle that has an LCD screen.  That would defeat the purpose, IMHO.  Outside of magazines, few things I read need color.  Picture books and easy readers would benefit no doubt, but I don't buy those.  Coffee table books would benefit, but they'd be much less enjoyable on a small screen.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Personally I don't want either.

Touch screens have a tendency to annoy me over time; even on my iPad there are times I have to press multiple times before it will listen to me and I would hate to have that happen while reading. 

As for color, it really isn't needed for 99% of the books I read so I see no reason to pay more for something I won't be using all that often.  Besides color eink at this point in time is really bad, the one device I have seen looked like a watercolor that had been left out in the sun for too long; far from impressive IMO.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think that the next Kindle will be available in:

- Child-lockdown version (where a parent can set restrictions, like gift-card use only, or set aside certain books on an account as OK to download to that Kindle)

- Touchscreen (possibly the child-friendly model could be touchscreen too - probably easier for little hands)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Definitely color.  Magazines, sci/tech literature, etc.  16-shade grayscale just doesn't cut it!  As for the touchscreen - if it is touchscreen, I would at least want it to have page-turn buttons similar to what the current kindles have in addition to the touchscreen page-turning.  I'm not a big fan of greasy smudged fingerprint magnet screens. :p

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
From all the talk in other threads about the possibility of touchscreen and color, I may just pass on the K4.  I've had the K1, K2 and still have KDX and K3.  I have the Sony PRS-350 and that's enough touch screen for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't want touchscreen and I agree that color only works if its e-ink.  For me the only improvements would have to be technical stuff like faster loads (especially on the web browser), an easier way to catalog titles (would be really nice if you could do it on the computer in USB mode), maybe an mp3 player interface, better contrast.. that's really all i can think of.  I'm very curious what improvements and new features will be on the K4 though.  From the rumors it sounds like it'll be very different.

·
6,032 Posts
I agree with the other posters. I like a touchscreen on a tablet, but not on a reader. I wouldn't mind colour so long as it was still e-ink. Even better screen contrast, more font choices, the ability to edit metadata directly on the Kindle, a proper folder structure, user manageable sleep pictures. All these would be great and for me, more preferable than colour or a touchscreen.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I agree with the other posters. I like a touchscreen on a tablet, but not on a reader. I wouldn't mind colour so long as it was still e-ink. Even better screen contrast, more font choices, the ability to edit metadata directly on the Kindle, a proper folder structure, user manageable sleep pictures. All these would be great and for me, more preferable than colour or a touchscreen.
This 100%

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
NightGoat said:
I want a touch screen, eink of course.

The whole idea behind eink is to imitate the experience of reading a real book. How many real books have buttons to turn the pages.
??? Well. . .but. . .the print doesn't magically change just by touching the page either -- unless it's one of the Hogwarts school texts and even then I think you need a wand. ::)

For my part I'm happy with the Kindle as it is. . . can't think of any additional 'features' I really need. . . .

·
Registered
882 Posts
Even better screen contrast, more font choices, the ability to edit metadata directly on the Kindle, a proper folder structure, user manageable sleep pictures. All these would be great and for me, more preferable than colour or a touchscreen.
Definitely!

I'd like a touch screen, particularly if doing away with the keyboard made the reading screen larger. I'd want color, but only if it's e-ink.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Touch screen.

That way, say bye-bye to the keyboard. Wouldn't mind this at all. A touch screen keyboard could be CUSTOMIZED so you can have the 'keys' be the size that you want. It'd be nice. Also, that would be a better way to scroll down the book. Using the finger to TOUCH it and push and pull the screen, not pressing the side buttons. Nice.

Color? Yes, that's the next improvement. So you can have nice photographs in the Kindle. Even make a special large screen 'coffee table Kindle' for viewing all your big photo books. At that point, kiss paper goodbye.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think the e-ink is part of the appeal of the Kindle devices, and I doubt that Amazon would move away from that any time soon. They're more likely to produce that tablet everyone is going crazy about to capture the touchscreen crowd.

I don't mind reading Kindle books on my HTC smartphone, but I don't want a TFT screen on my Kindle. I like the matt e-ink approach. It's nice for reading on and feels like a paperback to me, and doesn't strain my eyes. Reading on my smartphone with its shiny screen can get a bit taxing.

I think colour would be cool, as then we get to see the book covers as we can with a paperback, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If they could implement a good colour e-ink display that doesn't drain the battery, then I think that would help bring more users into the Kindle fold.

As for me, I've only had my K3 for less than 2 months so I won't be getting a new one any time soon! I'm perfectly in love with my K3.

I would like a better way of separating out my books and stuff so the home screen is less cluttered. I might be able to do that already but I've been too busy reading to play with the features of the K3.

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is the whole trick. The Snafu of technology. The touch screen makes your fingers do the walking = nice and convenient. But also = no more e-ink. That's a dilemma. People don't want to press buttons. When they discovered the iPhone they became lazy. They love the convenience of TOUCH. But the iPhone hi-rez screen (good for color images) is not the same as e-ink at all. E-ink is made for text. It's beautiful. Great for reading.

So right now we have to make a choice: e-ink or touch screen? Or is there a way out, something better than both? (This would be a huge investment as well.)

felicityheaton said:
I think the e-ink is part of the appeal of the Kindle devices, and I doubt that Amazon would move away from that any time soon. They're more likely to produce that tablet everyone is going crazy about to capture the touchscreen crowd.

I don't mind reading Kindle books on my HTC smartphone, but I don't want a TFT screen on my Kindle. I like the matt e-ink approach. It's nice for reading on and feels like a paperback to me, and doesn't strain my eyes. Reading on my smartphone with its shiny screen can get a bit taxing.

I think colour would be cool, as then we get to see the book covers as we can with a paperback, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If they could implement a good colour e-ink display that doesn't drain the battery, then I think that would help bring more users into the Kindle fold.

As for me, I've only had my K3 for less than 2 months so I won't be getting a new one any time soon! I'm perfectly in love with my K3.

I would like a better way of separating out my books and stuff so the home screen is less cluttered. I might be able to do that already but I've been too busy reading to play with the features of the K3.

Felicity Heaton

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
bjm said:
This is the whole trick. The Snafu of technology. The touch screen makes your fingers do the walking = nice and convenient. But also = no more e-ink. That's a dilemma. People don't want to press buttons. When they discovered the iPhone they became lazy. They love the convenience of TOUCH. But the iPhone hi-rez screen (good for color images) is not the same as e-ink at all. E-ink is made for text. It's beautiful. Great for reading.

So right now we have to make a choice: e-ink or touch screen? Or is there a way out, something better than both? (This would be a huge investment as well.)
Well. . . no. . . .the new nook and Kobo readers that are coming in the next week or so have the 'pearl' e-ink screen and an infrared touch technology as well. Reviews I've seen of the nook give it fairly high marks. Sony has had an ereader with that combination for a while.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Well. . . no. . . .the new nook and Kobo readers that are coming in the next week or so have the 'pearl' e-ink screen and an infrared touch technology as well. Reviews I've seen of the nook give it fairly high marks. Sony has had an ereader with that combination for a while.
Then it sounds like Amazon will have to give in. It seems like the people have spoken. Everyone loves the touch screen. They also love the pearl e-ink. The winning combination will include both of them in a single device. I predict that this is what's next for Amazon. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I want a sexier Kindle. 

I love the device, but the "style" leaves a lot to be desired.  I look at the Sony or even the new Nook and think they are just more attractive...I love the Kindle, I'm not going to jump ship, but they are prettier.  The Kindle, as is, kind of smacks of an old Palm Pilot. 

I think it would be so great if Amazon made the Kindles in different colors.  Let someone pick a red or navy blue or pink or green along with the white and graphite.  I also think the finish should be more like the Sony's...a bit shiny. 

If the touch screen didn't diminish the quality of e-Ink, I'd go for that.  Same with adding "color"...I saw a picture somewhere on the interest of a demo color e-Ink and it was beautiful.  If they do go with the touch screen, they need to shrink the casing of the device considerably.  Do away with the keyboard. 

Let users easily upload their own screen savers...no more dead authors, no more need for hacks.  Different font choices would be nice as well.

Make the back similar to to the iPad, so we can engrave our readers to further personalize them.  How awesome would it be if Amazon offered that?  We could add our favorite book quotes or what not. 

But, seriously, I love the Kindle.  Doesn't matter what changes they make, I'll hands down be on board to buy another one.  it doesn't get much better than Kindle!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.