Discussion Starter #1
The Kindle can save you money if you are an avid reader:

Revised table as of 11/12/08:

Table as originally posted:

;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks, Karin. I think this is a really useful comparison! Thanks for posting.

L

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice cost comparison chart - thanks.

I am not sure the Kindle will save me any money. I use to buy about 2 books a month, but I waited until I saw them on sale or I found them at Sam's. Oftentimes I never found what I really wanted to read or I would come to the end of a book without another one to start. 

Kindle has widened my selection of books and I won't run out. That is worth every penny.
Anne

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've already put tons of classics (that I probably should have read by now) on my Kindle via manybooks.net, gutenberg.org, ect., so although the initial Kindle cost was high, I definitely won't be spending $75 a month on books anymore.

Now Kindle accessories? THAT may be the death of the ol' bank account...

Nemo

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oops.  I get more than 4 books a month, however no newspapers or magazines.  Well looks like I will still come out at right out the same cost per year.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is interesting. When you put in the table, it is easy to see. Thank you for posting, Karin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmm. So if I buy twice as many books, then in 3 years I'll save enough money to buy a BMW! :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the table, Karin!

I'm actually spending more money on books since buying my kindle. lol I'm a librarian who, in the past, mostly read library books. Books I would read once were library books; books I bought were keepers (to be read more than once, favorite passages highlighted, etc). Now, I'm pretty much buying everything I can on my Kindle.

The downside: I'm a little poorer, financially. The upside: I enjoy reading sooo much more with the ability to bump up the font whenever I want to. :)

IMHO, I'm "richer", just not financially! ;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice comparison Karin. Well done in all areas.

Doesn't apply to me tho', unfortunately. I haven't purchased books or periodicals in years. Now all of a sudden I'm buying like crazy thanks to K. Perspective is everything.  :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I came up with the idea for the table because, whenever I spoke about the Kindle to anybody, they would shudder at the price. I wanted "real" data as ammunition!  ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup. Good table. Two things to keep in mind though:

1) The cost of the Kindle is $40 cheaper than you listed there. So, savings already.

and

2) This is the FIRST years' outlay. After that, the savings are MUCH greater. In fact, by your table, $399 greater.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Very nice!

If you're interested in some feedback...

The shipping charge for all used books, both hard cover and paperback, purchased from amazon is $3.99 per book, rather than the $3.00 in the chart.  It used to be $3 but they upped it to $3.99 a little while back.

-Xia

B

·
0 Posts
I buy most of my used books from abebooks.com, which generally has cheaper shipping.

B

·
0 Posts
Can a Mod please re-title the thread to replace those "C's" with "K's"? ;) "Karin's Kindle Kost Komparison Table"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thomashton said:
Yup. Good table. Two things to keep in mind though:

1) The cost of the Kindle is $40 cheaper than you listed there. So, savings already.

and

2) This is the FIRST years' outlay. After that, the savings are MUCH greater. In fact, by your table, $399 greater.
Thanks! I've updated the table to reflect the price change. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Xia said:
The shipping charge for all used books, both hard cover and paperback, purchased from amazon is $3.99 per book, rather than the $3.00 in the chart. It used to be $3 but they upped it to $3.99 a little while back.

-Xia
Thank you. I didn't know about the price increase. I modified the table to reflect this. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually, my Kindle is costing me more because I didn't read as much.  Oh, and even more since I just bought one for my mother.  That's ok though...  I don't mind the cost for the great entertainment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts