Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leslie said:
Hey Karin, welcome! Glad you made it over to join us.

L
Thanks for the warm welcome, Leslie & Kirstin. I like this discussion board. I also posted the cost comparison table as you'd requested, Leslie.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Great review!  (sorry it took so long to get back here, my mother called)

I'm going to use your cost table as amunition whenever the other half gives me the hairy eyeball for excessive downloading.  :D

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I didn't read it all, but a correction and a suggestion?

First line in "Sexy, the Kindle is not" -- word should be "than", not "then".

When you're talking about the size of the Kindle (without a cover), I'd compare it to the size of a DVD case as opposed to a paperback book.  (Maybe the size of a case for a two DVD set.)  Paperbacks vary in size whereas DVD cases virtually, if ever, don't.

Just observations.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just hope there's no problem when he finds out how much you used to spend on books!

Great job on the comparison table. Of course, in the second year of reading, the Kindle cost will be zero, and you'll only be spending around $500 a year.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I can't remember if I replied to Karin's original Amazon post. Either way, I just want to say I loved the article and found it very informative.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Lotus said:
I just hope there's no problem when he finds out how much you used to spend on books!

Great job on the comparison table. Of course, in the second year of reading, the Kindle cost will be zero, and you'll only be spending around $500 a year.
Or, you could prorate the initial expense over the life expectancy of the Kindle, say 4 years? 5 years? and consider you're saving EVEN MORE money the first year... $70 vs $350 if we expect it to last a minimum of five years.

Betsy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sandpiper said:
First line in "Sexy, the Kindle is not" -- word should be "than", not "then".

When you're talking about the size of the Kindle (without a cover), I'd compare it to the size of a DVD case as opposed to a paperback book. (Maybe the size of a case for a two DVD set.) Paperbacks vary in size whereas DVD cases virtually, if ever, don't.
Thanks for catching that typo. I can't tell you how many people have read this and missed it (or perhaps chose not to tell me about it).

I fixed the typo and added the word "trade" in front of paperback, as the standard trade paperback is the size described. I would rather compare it to a book than to a DVD.

Additionally, I updated the number of books currently available. (I had 120,000 because I'd written this back in the spring.)

Thanks to all who commented! I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Karin, Love the review! As I read I saw alot of what I felt when I first opened my box...sexy it's not, hitting page forward and back when I didn't want to all the time, and its awkwardness in my hands...but, I have grown to LOVE Kindle in spite of those little faults.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Betsy the Quilter said:
Or, you could prorate the initial expense over the life expectancy of the Kindle, say 4 years? 5 years? and consider you're saving EVEN MORE money the first year... $70 vs $350 if we expect it to last a minimum of five years.

Betsy
I really like this idea, thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, all. I've updated the cost comparison table to reflect a few of the suggestions and corrections I've received. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts