Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of the other KB members, I wish we had a sticky topic for the bargain books offered by the authors here in the Book Bazaar. But until that becomes a reality, I took a cue from Dawson and decided to create a thread where authors can list their bargain priced books. If you have a book that is 3 dollars or less including free kindle, ebooks, .pdf or .doc offers, I invite you to list them here. Your readers will thank you for it!

(Note: This thread does not in any way, shape, or form replace an author's book thread. It simply helps to streamline the process of finding the bargain books located here in the The Book Bazaar.)

Bargain Books by KB member authors in The Book Bazaar:

$3.00-2.00:

Widow's Tale

Legacy of the Ghost: Book 2: Lord of Chaos Trilogy

City of Rogues (Book I of The Kobalos Trilogy)

$1.99-1.01:

The Legend of Witch Bane (The Witch Bane Saga)

Rogue Hunter (Chronicles of the Rogue Hunter)

The Red Cross of Gold [URL=II:]II:. The King of Terrors[/url]

A Soldier's Love

Front Page News

Gold Star Wife

A Different Tune

A Truck Story

The Psychokitty Speaks Out: Diary of a Mad Housecat

The Psychokitty Speaks Out: Something of Yours Will Meet a Toothy Death

Barely Maid (A Ruby Gordon Mystery)

PARALLAX

VICARIOUS

The Cloud

The Holmes and Watson Mysterious Events and Objects Consortium: The Case of the Witch's Talisman

Belt Buckles & Pajamas

The Twenty Dollar Bill

Dreamer: A Novel Of the Silent Empire

Nightmare (The Silent Empire)

Let's Talk Honestly, One Black Man's Thoughts

The Hillsiders by George L. Cook III

The Rules: A Guide For People Owned By Cats

Rogue Wave

Charybdis

As Simple As That

Finding Father Rabbit

It's Not About The Cookies

Stalker

The Lost Secret of Fairies: The Crystal Keeper Chronicles Book 1

Wrong Number

The God Wars

The Absence of Color

From the Writer Half of My Being: Poems and Short Stories in Search of a Reader

Sumner Gardens

$1.00 and under:

Elfhunter (A Tale of Alterra, The World That Is)

Three Avenues of Escape

Celtic Evil: A Fitzgerald Brother Novel: Roarke (The Fitzgerald Brothers)

Wysard

Lord Brother

The Spells of Mrestronias (Tales of Faktranslykfarn and Victor, Wandering Warriors)

The Grove

No Irish Need Apply

Cutting the Cheese

Bobby's Trace

Turning Idolater

Surviving an American Gulag

Are You Still Submitting Your Work to a Traditional Publisher?

Advantage Disadvantage

J.D. The Plot to Steal J.D. Salinger's Manuscripts

The Academician - Southern Swallow Book I

PRISONER 392

THE BRANK OF KHOSADAM

Mighty Hammer Down (Legend of Reason Series)

A Writer's Journey in Poetry & Prose

Homo Geekian - a short story

The Colorado Sequence

Double Life

Gone, the Day

Baling

Timberwolf - A Spooky Short Story

Early Morning Trail Ride - A Short Story

Three Hidden Chicks - A Bedtime Story

A Wild Ride - a bedtime story

MetaGame

Diablo's Return

The Misogynist

Waiting For Spring

Build My World

Save Me

Shadow of the Ghost: Book 1: Lord of Chaos Trilogy

$0.10

The Caliphate

$0.01

Soul Identity

$0.00 (free books):

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
OK, Kevis, so I think this is a good idea as well and it seems to me that it should have been so long 'ere now because the readers can find us here rather than searching through a whole bunch of threads for cheap reads. I only wish you had posted it before I made a new thread for my $.99 book, but since you did, here I am as just another... ta da!!: Shameless Self-Promoter. ::)

The Red Cross of Gold:. the King of Terrors is on sale for a mere $.99.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! King of Terror on sale! 99 Cents! That's less than a cup of coffee, Ladies and Gentlemen!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Though, my work is only a short story, it is .99.

Thanks for this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Spells-Mrestronias-Faktranslykfarn-Wandering-Warriors/dp/B002C75NWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244555072&sr=8-1

Here is the product description for my story:

Two swords-for-hire take on a job to protect a wizard as she ventures into an old tomb in search of the legacy of a powerful mage. Enter the fantastic world of Faktranslykfarn and Victor, a place of wizards and warriors, villains and monsters, magic and secret societies. This short story is told in the spirit of old school role-playing games and the fiction that inspired those games. If you have spent time in dank, dark, and dangerous dungeons while huddled over a table filled with soft drinks, paper, miniatures, and dice, then this story is for you. This is a story for gamers and fantasy adventure lovers alike.

I hope it sounds like something you might be interested in and that you check it out.

Thank you,

Chad Ries

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brendan Carroll said:
OK, Kevis, so I think this is a good idea as well and it seems to me that it should have been so long 'ere now because the readers can find us here rather than searching through a whole bunch of threads for cheap reads. I only wish you had posted it before I made a new thread for my $.99 book, but since you did, here I am as just another... ta da!!: Shameless Self-Promoter. ::)
It's never too late to join the party, Brendan! :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've noticed that there are quite a number of 99 cent bargain kindle books out there and so far we only have 3 authors participating on this thread. Many KB members have been requesting a single thread to view bargain books. Wading through a sea of author/book threads can be challenging for anyone. Why not make it easy on our readers and post all of our 99 cent books on this thread? It sure as heck saves time and if the reader is interested in your books, they can always find your thread here in the Book Bazaar to learn more about your works. I invite every author with a 99 cent book to post their books here. If you have a limited-time only offer, feel free to mention it here as well.

Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
well my book is now discounted to $0.80 so it doesn't really qualify I guess. But if readers want to pay the extra $0.19 they can send me a check.

See signature for book link.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sorry to go off topic in your thread, Kevis, but perhaps you can enlighten me.  Since $1.00 books are discounted to $.80 by amazon, why would the author not want to set the price to $1.00?  Author gets the same commission, and the reader gets a lower price while feeling like they got a bigger bargain.  This seems to be what a lot of our "regulars" are doing lately.  It seems like a no brainer to me, so is there a reason not to do this?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
marianner - marketing - 99 cents "sounds" less than $1, 9.99 is "less" than $10.00

I think the thread should be for 99 cents and less - I always check those and probably spend more money buying those than I do the 9.99 ones that I know I will read, the others I don't know I will read, but when I do I find some pretty good authors and stories.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'll be happy to take advantage of free advertising. Thanks!

Links to my books can be found in my signature.

From In The Library Reviews: "A masterful fantasy by an extremely talented author, Wysard is certainly not to be missed. Ms. Kephart has created a beautiful world, complete with many different civilizations, peoples, laws, and creatures. She's given it life, imbuing it with feudal hostilities, caste grudges, religious debates and politics. Throughout the novel, we learn much about this world, but it never takes over the storyline or does more than register in the reader's mind. The focus remains on Ryel, on his quest and his destiny.
      I know without a doubt, Wysard will be placed on my keeper shelf after I finish rereading it and if Lord Brother is anything like its predecessor, it too will be a must read."

Both volumes are $0.99 all summer long. Not quite beach reading perhaps, but perfect for a dark quiet night with a bit of soft thunder afar off.

CK

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Kevis,

I think the reason most authors list their books at 99 cents rather than a dollar is because they don't realize that Amazon discounts one, and not the other. 99 cents hardly sounds better when the consumer can see that a $1.00 book costs 19 cents less.

Maybe you could change the title of this thread to $1.00 or less? Seems to me that not only $0.80 books, but Kindle authors who offer free ebooks should be listed here as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great thread, thanks...

Here's a blurb and description of my novel, The Grove:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AVU2MI

Product Description:

"Spare and evocative as a cornfield in autumn, The Grove marks the arrival of a haunting, powerful new voice in contemporary fiction. John Rector writes with deceptive grace, spinning out irresistible prose with a dark pulse between every line. This is psychological suspense at its most seductive. I loved it."

-Sean Doolittle, award-winning author of Dirt, Burn, Rain Dogs, The Cleanup, and Safer

--

The last time farmer Dexter McCray went off his medication, someone wound up dead. So, after waking from an alcoholic blackout to discover his tractor stuck in a ditch and the body of a teenage girl in the cottonwood grove bordering his cornfield, things look worryingly familiar.

With no alibi and a creeping suspicion that he might indeed be guilty, Dexter decides to investigate the crime himself. He can't tell anybody. Not his friend, the sheriff, who keeps offering to help him winch his tractor out of the ditch. Nor his estranged wife, whose love he's desperate to win back. And certainly not the Tollivers, his redneck neighbors.

Fortunately, Dexter's not entirely alone. He has some help.

In the shape of the dead girl herself.

--

Thanks again for the thread.

John

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
marianner said:
Sorry to go off topic in your thread, Kevis, but perhaps you can enlighten me. Since $1.00 books are discounted to $.80 by amazon, why would the author not want to set the price to $1.00? Author gets the same commission, and the reader gets a lower price while feeling like they got a bigger bargain. This seems to be what a lot of our "regulars" are doing lately. It seems like a no brainer to me, so is there a reason not to do this?
Marianner,

You're absolutely right. The reason why I started a 99 cents thread is because Dawson already created an 80 cent thread, which is the maximum discount that Amazon will allow authors to set their book price. I think it would be deceptive to post a 99 cents book, which is 19 cents higher than an 80 cents book on his thread.

In the case of 99 cents books, there are far more 99 cent books available than 80 cents books and in many cases are specifically priced at 99 cents so that the author can get a slightly higher royalty than he will at 80 cents. It may not seem like much, but to a starving artist who is counting his pennies, there is a difference.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greg Banks said:
Kevis,

I think the reason most authors list their books at 99 cents rather than a dollar is because they don't realize that Amazon discounts one, and not the other. 99 cents hardly sounds better when the consumer can see that a $1.00 book costs 19 cents less.

Maybe you could change the title of this thread to $1.00 or less? Seems to me that not only $0.80 books, but Kindle authors who offer free ebooks should be listed here as well.
Greg,

You are also correct that most authors don't know about that if they priced their titles at 1.00 instead of 99 cents their books get discounted to 80 cents. On the other hand, authors experienced in Kindle pricing knows that if they set their books at the price of $1.24, their books will still be discounted at 99 cents and they will recieve a slightly higher royalty than if they simply set their books at 99 cents. To the reader, this is a mute point. But I wanted to feature a thread on Kindle Boards where authors with bargain priced books could showcase them all in one place here at The Book Bazaar.

I will say this, after reading your comments, I think Dawson and I should change our strategies a bit. I'm going to change the title of this post to include all books under 3 bucks. I'll suggest that Dawson feature all books that are less than 1 dollar, that way if someone wants to find the maximum discounted books they can go to his thread.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. It was a wise one!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Kevis Hendrickson said:
In the case of 99 cent books, there are far more 99 cent books available and in many cases are specifically priced at 99 cents so that the author can get a slightly higher royalty than he will at 80 cents. It may not seem like much, but to a starving artist who is counting his pennies, there is a difference.
But amazon pays commissions based on the list price, not the discounted price. So you actually aren't losing anything.

Kevis Hendrickson said:
You are also correct that most authors don't know about that if they priced their titles at 1.00 instead of 99 cents their books get discounted to 80 cents. On the other hand, authors experienced in Kindle pricing knows that if they set their books at the price of $1.24, their books will still be discounted at 99 cents and they will recieve a slightly higher royalty than if they simply set their books at 99 cents.
That's a good point, though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
marianner said:
Sorry to go off topic in your thread, Kevis, but perhaps you can enlighten me. Since $1.00 books are discounted to $.80 by amazon, why would the author not want to set the price to $1.00? Author gets the same commission, and the reader gets a lower price while feeling like they got a bigger bargain. This seems to be what a lot of our "regulars" are doing lately. It seems like a no brainer to me, so is there a reason not to do this?
There sure is.

marianner said:
But amazon pays commissions based on the list price, not the discounted price. So you actually aren't losing anything.

That's a good point, though.
Marianne,

That's where my second point trumps the idea of lumping all 99 cents books together. The books that are priced at 99 cents receives a lower royalty than the books that are set at a higher price. Basically, it goes like this: Amazon pays 35 cents for every $1.00 a kindle book costs. Which means if an author sets his book price at $1.24, even though it is discounted to 99 cents, he is going to make 70 cents instead of 35 cents. So you are absolutely correct that amazon pays authors for the list price and not the discounted price. But if an author wants to make 70 cents per book sold rather than 35 cents, he would not want to discount his book to 80 or 99 cents, but rather $1.24. The reader still gets the book for less than a dollar and the author makes back nearly a dollar from each book sale. A mutually beneficial tactic if you ask me. ;)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
So my The Red Cross of Gold [URL=II:]II:. The King of Terrors[/url] is still on for $.99. Here's a small blurb from the book and please read with care because these are angels we're talking about here:

Meanwhile, several yards away just under the arms of the trees, the three awful figures advanced on Ramsay until he was encircled by them. He drew a circle in the dirt around his feet and held up the flaming sword in front of him as he turned in a tight circle, facing them off. He could feel the heat from their bodies and see the glowing centers of their black eyes. They stopped within three meters of him and stood swaying, betraying the ephemeral nature of their existence.

"Wherefore comest thou here, thou King of Terrors?" Mark jerked his head around at the sound of the unearthly voice. Were they speaking to him?

He did not know the answer to the question.

"Pray tell what hast thou upon thy brow, Prince of the Grave?" This voice came from directly behind him.

He spun around. The angels seemed to be moving around him in a slow, counterclockwise circle, but he did not know if it was an illusion or not.

"Dost thou put on the raiment of the Dragon, the blood of the crucifixion, thou Assassin?" Again the voice was from a different direction.

He turned again and touched his forehead lightly with his left index finger. He had forgotten about the dragon's blood on his forehead.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here is my new sci-fi novel MetaGame at 80 cents. It has recieved some great reviews.

You can get it here: http://www.amazon.com/MetaGame-ebook/dp/B002AJ88LC

/////////
Blurb:
Life is a game, literally. Winners earn immortality, while losers are condemned to aging and death. D_Light, a gifted player, knows this all too well and he's willing to do anything to win-even kill. It is no wonder then that when given the chance to enter a MetaGame-an exclusive, high-stakes, anything goes contest-he's quick to jump at the opportunity. The MetaGame starts out well enough for D_Light, the first quest being to hunt down a dangerous fugitive, but through his own ambition, the tables turn and D_Light finds himself the renegade. Now, D_Light pits himself against his world to find the truth behind "The Game" and must decide between winning it and saving what's left of his humanity.

This novel blends emerging political and cultural trends, such as gaming culture, globalization, and the ever-increasing hegemony of corporations, with technological trends, such as genetic engineering, artificial intelligence, and virtual reality. Emerging from this stew is an original world to explore through the point of view of several of its "players".
////////

Thanks!
Sam

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Under 3 bucks? I have a couple :) Thank you for the thread :D

Widow's Tale --$2.39

Rogue Wave --$1.43

Widow's Tale ---

Serena Murphy was losing her mind.
Every night Serena stood on the deck of O'Flanagans Tavern, searching Maine's rugged coast for a sign of her husband's body. Though he was pronounced lost at sea, Alan Murphy still haunted her as only his malevolent spirit could. In the loft above her tavern, Serena hears footsteps pace across her living room floor, yet when she turns, no one is there.
Alan would not let a little thing like death stop him from tormenting her. If she could just find his body, surely this torture would stop.
It had been ten years since Brett Murphy saw his sister in-law, although the separation was by design, to avoid temptation. Now Brett was in Victory Cove, not to declare his feelings for Serena, but to discover the truth about his brother's death. In doing so, he must battle Serena's ghosts, both real and contrived.

Rogue Wave ---

U.S. Geological Survey expert, Nick McCord can not account for the destructive waves assaulting the Windward coast of Oahu. The only viable culprit is the new housing development, Manale Palms and its attractive contractor, Briana Holt.
Try as he might to find blame with Briana and her site, the truth remains a mystery as yet another threatening wave attacks the coast. Now allies, Nick and Briana narrow in on the source of these anomalies and find themselves in a struggle to save the island coast and their very lives.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.