Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I've been able to learn about the KDP paid advertising program, contained in this email I received today from KDP in response to a query I sent them about a a week ago wherein I asked if we might soon be able to advertise our books on Amazon (I've got a sneaky suspicion there are some among us who may've already been asked to participte; I am not among them):

Hello,
Occasionally, we test features or updates on the website to make sure we're delivering the best experience for our customers. Right now, we're testing the Beta Ads Program.

At this time, we have only sent invitations to a few authors to test it out first, then we will plan in adding more authors or offering it to all of our authors, I have passed your information along to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for using KDP, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

So how about you? Are you up or down for such a program? Ready to advertise? Or does this only serve to further de-democratize the KDP publishing environment? Your thoughts, please.

John

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
We are in a competitive market - in as much as I enjoy seeing others succeed,  there comes a point when it's all down to you and you alone.  So would I advertise with Zon? Yes.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
That would be awesome. I would do it.

...as long as they permit payment plans.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
All the authors chosen signed an NDA so can not speak about it, and since this forum is monitored by Amazon, it would be a foolish place to break the contract. :)
(I am not in it for the record)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I would do it if I didn't have to be exclusive to Amazon. If I didn't get results it would only be once, though. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's not just a KU thing. I don't have it and I'm in KU up to my ears. And I'm NOT HAPPY that I'm not in it. At all.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know anything about NDA's or what not, but I do know I've seen it mentioned on these boards before, and I know their email didn't forbid my mention of the program. I guess what I was wondering was how the group conscience felt about advertising, since I've advertised PPC hot and heavy in a past life, where I was advertising nationwide with scores of other attorneys for legal work. I know what it feels like to go up against advertisers who have a shit ton more money to spend than what I had and I just hope any such Zon program doesn't devolve into such a system that de-democratizes what, to this point, seems to be a pretty much equal opportunity system. Unless I am just totally naive about that too.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
John Ellsworth said:
I don't know anything about NDA's or what not, but I do know I've seen it mentioned on these boards before, and I know their email didn't forbid my mention of the program. I guess what I was wondering was how the group conscience felt about advertising, since I've advertised PPC hot and heavy in a past life, where I was advertising nationwide with scores of other attorneys for legal work. I know what it feels like to go up against advertisers who have a [crap] ton more money to spend than what I had and I just hope any such Zon program doesn't devolve into such a system that de-democratizes what, to this point, seems to be a pretty much equal opportunity system. Unless I am just totally naive about that too.
NDAs are normal for beta programs and that is what this is. You are not under the NDA because you are not in the program.

As for it being mentioned on these boards - NDA is only as good as the people that agree to it, and information often leaks despite NDAs. Calculated business risk on Amazon's part. Violating it is a good way to get blacklisted from future programs, but I doubt they would bring out the big lawyer guns.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If done right, this could be HUGE for both Amazon and indie writers alike, but I am not sure it is possible to do it right. The ideal situation would be if it is a targeted ad, at a low price, allowed only once per book. For example, you write a romance novel, you pay a low price (I think anything beyond about $50 starts becoming very restrictive to those writers that don't have alot to spend, but it needs to be about that much to keep people from spamming it on crappy short books hoping to just get lucky and make a few bucks) and your book goes out in an email to readers in your genre. You get to do this once, so you need to time it out just right. Amazon is not Fivr.... you are talking about an email going to tens of thousands (if not much more) known readers of your genre. Limiting it to just once per book may not be enough, however, simply because so many people would want to use this.

This only works if there is a limited amount of books sent per email, and the emails are spread out so as to not seem like just more spam. I don't see how this will be possible, at least initially. If they announced this tomorrow, they'd have tens of thousands of authors signing up on day one. I don't see how they could limit it to a usable number of books without making the cost so prohibitive that it just screws the economically challenged indie writer and gives the big money guys even more of an advantage. As it is now, many folks can't even pay for a decent cover or editor, this just becomes another necessity that they feel puts them deeper in the hole.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm still waiting for 2 email notifications about the books I published in December and January. You know, the emails I specifically requested when I subscribed to be notified of my new releases. I think it's a little cheeky to offer something like this when they can't even get their subscriptions right. Really doesn't surprise me though.

To answer the question, it depends on the price. However, I'm more inclined to spend my advertising budget universally, to reach readers on other platforms. For me, that's now more important than ever before. 

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I suspect people who were invited to the Beta were told not to say so. :)

Don't know why I would suspect that, but it is a possibility.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you're talking about their Bookbub-like advertising program, there is a thread already going on this:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,192454.0.html

From what I can gather, it's only being offered to select KDP Select authors at this time. From that I gather, it will only be offered to KDP Select participants. There's even a screenshot of the email Amazon sends out. Some people have already begun receiving it.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
In a survey they had a while ago, I suggested Amazon offer Bookbub type ads. Sounds like they got that suggestion from a lot of people if they are going ahead with Beta testing.

If the price is reasonable, I'm in.

·
Registered
661 Posts
That's all cross our fingers that the pricing is more reasonable than bookbub and that titles are still vetted for appropriateness to the market.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts