Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am starting a draft page for my novel at KDP. I've uploaded the cover art, but when it completes it looks terrible. Is this normal? Are they not trying to run a decent resize algorithm until the book goes live?

If I resize in Photoshop, the cover looks great at any resolution, but the preview is worrying me on KDP. I've tried making the image exactly 600x800, 900x1200, and 1500x1500, 72dpi or 300dpi, but they all look terrible in the preview. What am I missing here?

Example:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hmm.  That is odd.  But never fear, I'm sure the actual cover thing will look fine.  And you can always fiddle around with it later.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I agree that you've got a great cover!  ;D It really jumps out at you. I get a bit of pixelation as well with the thumbnail. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What are the KDP resolution instructions? (sorry, new to this myself so I'm not sure). be sure your cover is the exact size they ask for, at the resolution they ask for. If a jpg is off even by a few pixels it will not look as good as it could.

Your cover is stunning, I don't blame you for wanting it to look good!

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Both Amazon and Smashwords use a HORRIBLE compression algorithm to make those thumbnails.  I have tried all sorts of things to see if there is anything you can do, but you really can't.  Even designing your large cover to compress well doesn't seem to work much because you ahve to upload to test and then try again and upload again.

High contrast images (which, of course, are best for Kindle) have the worst time of it, unfortuantely.

Camille

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug Lance said:
What image format are you saving it as and at what quality?
I tried everything that I could think of. I imported TIF and JPG images at 300 dpi that was like 5000x6000 and tried uploading that directly. I took those same images and resized them down to 72dpi and 580x800 and 900x1200. I spent hours trying to get everything to an hard multiple that would grow shrink well to 600x800 using any resize I could think of that wasn't terrible, and all of it looked bad. After 2-3 hours, I posted to this thread.

The Amazon instructions are very vague. They say that the image should be at least 500 pixels wide and then on one page say it should be under 1280 pixels high, and on the main upload page say that 1280 pixels at a minimum. I tried both sides of the boundary. It always looked wrong.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback! Very appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts