Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to setting up print copies of my books, and the first proof arrived in the mail today.

Looks great...except it doesn't. The cover image is so dark, it's practically invisible. See this link for how the cover is intended to look: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NNFYMCV

I'll post a picture of how the print looks in a minute. As far as solutions go, I could blindly crank up the brightness in the image file, and then wait for the next proof copy. Of course the cover image on the Amazon page would then be brighter as well. Kind of fine line I need to walk.

Any advice?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I really hate the fact that they put that"not for resale" over these author copies. With Createspace, you can order as many as you like as an author and do what you like. It appears that they are trying to dissuade authors from selling their own copies that they have uploaded to Amazon. The only solution I see is probably using B&N but I haven't ordered author copies from them yet.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
ericreese said:
I really hate the fact that they put that"not for resale" over these author copies. With Createspace, you can order as many as you like as an author and do what you like. It appears that they are trying to dissuade authors from selling their own copies that they have uploaded to Amazon. The only solution I see is probably using B&N but I haven't ordered author copies from them yet.
This isn't an author copy, it's a proof. The Not for Resale band isn't on author copies.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Imagery printed on paper is never going to have the dynamic range that a digital file does.  And you're starting with a very dark image to begin with.

I'll echo what a few others have pointed to... a glossy cover will have greater color depth and vibrancy.  It looks like you've chosen a matte finish.  Try switching to glossy and see if you like that better.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

The glossy cover may still be too dark.

You'll need to open your image editing software and under 'brightness/contrast' you'll need to make the slider go brighter and maybe a little contrast bump so it's not washed out. Then try printing again.

If you don't normally do graphics, talk to your artist or get a copy of gimp.org and watch a youtube video.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I published a paperback memoir in KDP with lots of black-and-white photos, I discovered they all looked pretty washed out. Must be something to do with the printing. I ended up boosting contrast on all of them to make sure they looked like the originals. I suggest you do the same and add contrast to the cover photo.

The cover art is so good, though. Awesome.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I think you're good to go. If the book were Pollyanna Goes on a Merry-Go-Round, then yeah, it would be too dark. You could try brightening it a bit, but it's unlikely to make any difference in sales.

I sell one paperback for every fifty eBooks, so for me, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the paperback. I'm guessing you want to give some away at events, etc.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the silent treatment. I ended up adjusting the brightness down until the image on my screen matched the book in my hand. Then I increased the brightness by the inverse number.

It'll be a few weeks before the next proof arrives, so I guess we'll see. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had a similar issue with a dark blue cover. Mine was due to the difference between the RBG colour system that is used by your computer screen and the CYBG system that's used in printing. If you upload a cover that's been prepared in RBG, it won't look the same when printed. In my experience, the colours tend to be darker and murkier.
The solution is to make the cover in CYBG. There are some websites that help you find the equivalent CYBG code for the existing colours. I can't remember which one I used - try a Google search.
Not all software you might use for photos and covers can save in CYBG. For example, I believe Photoshop can but Photoshop Elements can't. Serif Page Plus (which I use) can do it, but it sometimes defaults to  RBG if you're not careful.

Good luck. It's a tricky situation but you can sort it out if you persevere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a similar issue with a dark blue cover. Mine was due to the difference between the RBG colour system that is used by your computer screen and the CYBG system that's used in printing.
Don't you mean CMYK? As this is what I'm planning on doing after having the same issue, though my concern now is that the image won't look as good when displayed on Amazon

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Don't you mean CMYK? As this is what I'm planning on doing after having the same issue, though my concern now is that the image won't look as good when displayed on Amazon

Yes, it's CMYK (not CYBG). And you're right, it won't look as good on a computer screen because the CMYK color gamut is missing the really bright, saturated colors that make RGB look so good. But there's not really anything you can do about it.

Btw, this thread is three years old, so the commenter you quoted might not be back to reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts