Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just checking my stats on KP, and noticed that under 'reports' there is now a link to show pre-orders. Anyone know the scoop? Can we start listing pre-orders on Amazon now? And if so, how is that going to change your sales and marketing strategies in the future?

I am not really tech-savvy, but I am going to try and include the screenshot, but if it doesn't show up I'll also put the link to where I put it on photobucket.



That's the link to photobucket:
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/thesidhe/Pre-orders_zpse8188d38.jpg

Here's the text, in case it is hard to read:

"Pre-orders
View Pre-order units for books you have released as Pre-orders (updated periodically as Pre-orders are recorded). These units will appear in your sales dashboard after book release"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
Were you checking under author central or the KDP homepage?

Screenshot it. This might be like just before they announced KDP Countdown, it would show up on the homepage a few weeks in advance then they rolled it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I see it too, YAY!

I've always wanted to try doing pre-orders for some books. I'm super jealous of the indies who worked out a deal with Amazon to be able to do pre-orders for their books. With enough lead-up promotion you can basically guarantee your book hits the overall Kindle Top 100 on release day. This should level the playing field a bit for the rest of us little guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wansit said:
Were you checking under author central or the KDP homepage?

Screenshot it. This might be like just before they announced KDP Countdown, it would show up on the homepage a few weeks in advance then they rolled it out.
Good idea. I have added the screen shot to the original post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
I have it on mine, too. I heard a rumor recently they were thinking about pre-orders for everyone -- looks like it's true. Cool. Maybe it'll be useful. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
SA_Archer said:
Here's the text, in case it is hard to read:

"Pre-orders
View Pre-order units for books you have released as Pre-orders (updated periodically as Pre-orders are recorded). These units will appear in your sales dashboard after book release"
This is so awesome!! Particularly because they give the option of viewing the number of pre-orders taken. From what I heard from other authors who have pre-orders, they can't tell how many pre-orders they have until the day of publication. Thanks for sharing S.A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
Pre-orders do not help your ranking the day you release. I had it once. Used it only that once when I realized how it actually killed my ranking on release day.

Unless Amazon has changed it recently, your pre-order sales do not go toward your ranking on the day of release. Only the sales on the day of release will effect your ranking. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Rank newbie question: what's a preorder?  Is this just a page in which folks can order a book before it's done?  Do you typically set a publication date so folks know when they'll be sent it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Hmmm. I'm publishing my debut novel in less than two weeks. I wonder if I should make it three to four weeks and start promoting pre-orders. Hmmm.  :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
:eek: This is awesome. I'm not seeing it yet, so it's probably rolling out... or it's a tease view like KU was a couple days before it went live. This is perfect timing for me. I have a launch coming in September.  :p :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
This is awesome. I don't have it listed in my dashboard yet, but if they approve this for everyone, it could really help with several projects I've been working on. This could be great for serials especially.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
romanceauthor said:
Pre-orders do not help your ranking the day you release. I had it once. Used it only that once when I realized how it actually killed my ranking on release day.

Unless Amazon has changed it recently, your pre-order sales do not go toward your ranking on the day of release. Only the sales on the day of release will effect your ranking.
That's very true. It will cannibalize your pub day sales unless you're a big enough author to get pre-orders (and potential space on the USAT Bestsellers lists) AND get day of pub sales.

Deke said:
Rank newbie question: what's a preorder? Is this just a page in which folks can order a book before it's done? Do you typically set a publication date so folks know when they'll be sent it?
Exactly that. I'm looking at the Amazon pre-order page and it says you have to put the FINAL document in 10 days before publication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
romanceauthor said:
Unless Amazon has changed it recently, your pre-order sales do not go toward your ranking on the day of release. Only the sales on the day of release will effect your ranking.
This is a relief for those who aren't likely to get a bazillion of pre-orders (which would shoot the book to the top of the lists immediately) but doesn't this make pre-orders sort of useless?

If rank isn't impacted, I'd rather have people put themselves on my mail list to get news as soon as a new title comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
romanceauthor said:
Pre-orders do not help your ranking the day you release. I had it once. Used it only that once when I realized how it actually killed my ranking on release day.

Unless Amazon has changed it recently, your pre-order sales do not go toward your ranking on the day of release. Only the sales on the day of release will effect your ranking.
Beyond the sale rank issue, which probably won't affect me one way or the other because I'm microscope in the Amazon ocean anyway, I like the idea of drawing readers who reach the latest book in the series to pre-order the next one while they are excited. If I release only once every few months, they might forget about me by the next book. But if they've pre-ordered and the book shows up on their Kindle, it'll be a fabulous reminder that they were excited about the series, and they don't even have to do anything else (like click a link in an email, make a purchase, ect) to get it.

If we can always have the next book ready to go as pre-order in the back we can keep readers rolling along with the series, instead of losing them between releases.

Wansit said:
This is so awesome!! Particularly because they give the option of viewing the number of pre-orders taken. From what I heard from other authors who have pre-orders, they can't tell how many pre-orders they have until the day of publication. Thanks for sharing S.A.
I was excited to be able to break the news! :) Everyone here has helped me so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Quiss said:
This is a relief for those who aren't likely to get a bazillion of pre-orders (which would shoot the book to the top of the lists immediately) but doesn't this make pre-orders sort of useless?

If rank isn't impacted, I'd rather have people put themselves on my mail list to get news as soon as a new title comes out.
Good question. But I've watched more than a few pre-order pages over the last year and pre-order sales seem to impact the ranking DURING the pre-order stage. I've seen some romance novels ranked at #100 or #500 in the Kindle during the pre-order. Maybe that drives more pre-orders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts
Quiss said:
This is a relief for those who aren't likely to get a bazillion of pre-orders (which would shoot the book to the top of the lists immediately) but doesn't this make pre-orders sort of useless?

If rank isn't impacted, I'd rather have people put themselves on my mail list to get news as soon as a new title comes out.
I use it at other stores for coordinating releases ahead of time and getting the URLs for backmatter and so on long in advance. Then there is nothing for me to actually do on release day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Al Dente said:
This is awesome. I don't have it listed in my dashboard yet, but if they approve this for everyone, it could really help with several projects I've been working on. This could be great for serials especially.
This could be epic for serials! I totally agree!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
Quiss said:
This is a relief for those who aren't likely to get a bazillion of pre-orders (which would shoot the book to the top of the lists immediately) but doesn't this make pre-orders sort of useless?

If rank isn't impacted, I'd rather have people put themselves on my mail list to get news as soon as a new title comes out.
It's useful if you don't care about ranking and the potential visibility a good ranking can get your book.

Here's what happened to my pre-order book. I have almost 500 in pre-order sales when my book was released. The day it was released I accumulated another 300 and some first day sales. My ranking moved but only by as much as the 300 sales could move me. I think I may have gone below 800 but not by much. If I'd have all 800 sales release day, I would have definitely gotten into the #100s in the ebook store.
 
1 - 20 of 170 Posts
Top