Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm super new at all of this, so forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question.

I released my first novel Saturday evening. I got some initial sales from family and friends, which was awesome. Yesterday, I began running ads, 6 campaigns of about 900 keywords. Started low, edged my bids up. Got around 50 clicks with no sales showing. From what I understand, that's not uncommon because there are some verifications on sales through ads that Amazon has to run before I can see it reflected on my marketing dashboard.

Should I be seeing them on my KDP reports, though? Is it safe to assume since my rank went up yesterday that I got sales, they're just not showing yet?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
First, depending on a lot of variables, clicks don't necessarily mean sales. Having said that, if your packaging is good, at 50 clicks you should have a couple sales. Was the rank bump significant or just a fluctuation?

If you want to see sales or reads, use your KDP dashboard not your marketing dashboard. It's a lot more accurate, and updates faster, particularly when talking sales not page reads.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just to warn you, a lot of authors are reporting AMS weirdness right now. Like Amazon shutting down ads then emailing to ask "why did you stop running your ads?"

In my case, I was getting zero sales or borrows for 2 days, and those have started up again. The dashboard keeps blanking out, as well. So I would definitely recommend patience right now, as things get back on track. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ImaWriter said:
First, depending on a lot of variables, clicks don't necessarily mean sales. Having said that, if your packaging is good, at 50 clicks you should have a couple sales. Was the rank bump significant or just a fluctuation?

If you want to see sales or reads, use your KDP dashboard not your marketing dashboard. It's a lot more accurate, and updates faster, particularly when talking sales not page reads.
Let's see. I started at 180k when the book finally went live and my rankings updated for the first time. Yesterday, I think I was at 118k after my family had purchased ebooks the day before, so that was my starting point. By the time I went to bed, I was at 67k. It's dropped since then to 127k, but I don't think I've sold anything today. I scaled my budgets way back for now until later this week when the promotions start. I'm testing out custom ad text with one of my campaigns, so once that's not in review anymore, it'll hopefully lead to more sales.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
LiviaLance said:
Let's see. I started at 180k when the book finally went live and my rankings updated for the first time. Yesterday, I think I was at 118k after my family had purchased ebooks the day before, so that was my starting point. By the time I went to bed, I was at 67k. It's dropped since then to 127k, but I don't think I've sold anything today. I scaled my budgets way back for now until later this week when the promotions start. I'm testing out custom ad text with one of my campaigns, so once that's not in review anymore, it'll hopefully lead to more sales.
Your rankings don't go live until you sell something. It has nothing to do with your book going live in the store. Do you know how many sales you have from friends and family? Because frankly, to hit 60/70k is probably less than 5 sales. If you bought a copy for yourself when it went live, that 180k is your first sale--whether you bought it or someone else.

And again, check your KDP dashboard. You have a way better chance of that giving your the right info over the AA dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KU dashboard is showing nothing and last night between about 11pm and 12:30 am I jumped from 190k to 46k. I'm thinking it's KU borrows and not actual sales, it's the only thing that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this to me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts