Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to e-publish my second novel and I can't decide if I want to use KDP Select.  It seems like the best reason to use this it to take advantage of the free days.  How has this worked out for any of you?  Does anyone know of a way to list a book for free on Amazon without using KDP select?

Please help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your book looks very interesting. I just bought it for my nook and it's downloaded already.

With regard to KDP free days you know that you have to be exclusive to KDP when you go into the program. That means you have to unpublish from all other estores and they do check. They contacted me when my book was still available on KOBO and  said they would take me out of the program if I didn't get it withdrawn.

Personally I've had limited success with KDP. I did get a good number of downloads the first time I did it but it didn't get me too many sales. The second time, on a different book, I didn't do much in the way of promoting so I had fewer downloads and fewer sales after.

The key thing is to really plan when you are going to run your free days and promote extensively. There are a number of websites that allow you to promote your free days. You can also do some very inexpensive advertising on the KindleBoard's site to build interest during your free days.

There have been some posts that reveal actual numbers of KDP free day campaigns and to me the common thread was pre-planning the promotion.

There's no guarantee of success. Some say it isn't worth going exclusive because you lose other venues to sell your book. I wouldn't have been able to buy yours if you had been in the program.

I didn't use all of my free days the last time I entered a book in the program because I didn't get a good result due to my own efforts. In my case I hadn't made my book available on Smashwords at the time I entered it into KDP because I wanted to see what a new release would do in the program. I just had it published on Smashwords this week and I'm doing some other types of promotion now. I probably won't do the KDP exclusive thing again but I recommend that you try it at least once. Your book may be one of those books that has instant appeal and people will download it as soon as they read the blurb, I did.

That's another argument that some have used against the KDP program, if your book is downloaded by a huge number of people, you just lost them as paying customers. Your book may have made it into the top 5 of the free books and appeared right along side of the top 5 paid for books but that exposure is gone when your free days are over so how do people looking at the list know to buy your book?

Good luck. I think I'm going to enjoy your book.

Mitch Davies

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can try making your book free on other platforms, and eventually (usually with some nudging) Amazon will price match. The problem here is, it could take a number of weeks to reach that point.

I'm really new at all of this (much newer than you), but like you I did a ton of research, before committing to KDP Select. At the end of the day, I decided 90 days of exclusivity isn't that bad of a trade off to get the kind of exposure I expected (I've done 3 days so far, and my expectations have been far exceeded). What you have to do is consider how many people would buy your book on other ebook platforms, and if that trade off equals the marketing costs it would take you to reach the amount of people you do on a well orchestrated free book sale.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
So I never tried the program mainly because of the exclusivity clause. I feel like that is bad for readers and authors like. Competition is good for the market, so I do my best to support it. That is my personal opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree. :)

I should say a full 25% of my current sales come from outside of Amazon and I would never have gotten them if I was exclusive with Amazon. So I fell that KDP would more likely have hurt my sales rather then helped them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts