Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one book out and it's KDP Select. It's exclusive to amazon. It's been on since October.
I have probably gotten about 60 borrows in that period and 500 sales.
Should I come out of select?
What does everyone else do?
Are there really that many sales to be had on B&N, Kobo, Apple etc?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Nobody can say if you'd make more dropping out of Select and going into B&N, Kobo, Apple...
On my calculation, you've got - what? - another month before you have to decide to re-enroll/drop out? You may want to see how the new affiliate rules affect Select enrollment and borrow rates. Even if you stay in another term, it's only three months.

FWIW, Select never worked for me, so I'm not a big supporter, but your results sound pretty sweet for a first book, so something's working for you. It may very well be Select.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I can trace all the success I've had directly to KDP Select, so I'm staying in. I think there are three camps: People who have had fairly recent success and have no interest in leaving, people who hate the idea of exclusivity and won't go anywhere near it and people who jump back and forth. I think the opinions to your question are likely to break down along those lines.

I've sold 5,000 books in the last six months and I can attribute about 3,800 of them to bounces after free runs. I'll be hanging in until I see with my own book that it isn't working. If I had listened to the many people who told me that Select and free run's days were essentially over, I would have missed out on a lot of sales. YMMV.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I never had much success with Select, a few borrows here and there. Free runs never seemed to help any of my books. It's really up to you. I made enough from the other sites that it was significantly more than I made from borrows or crossover sales from free titles. Only you can make that decision though. If you decide to leave and upload elsewhere, you can always evaluate after a couple months and if sales are not being had on other outlets, pull your book and put it back in Select.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I typically make more by staying exclusive to Amazon, because I get more in Borrows than I do on other venues.

HOWEVER, I can't resist the idea I could be Ms. Bigtime Fancypants on Kobo or some other place, so I'm going everywhere now. It's a pain for updating files.

IMHO, you can go either way and it probably balances out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
IMHO ,

You can always try other places and come back if it not working.
I am glad I started witn KDP. But as the sells grew, I wondered about other places.
No one can say what will sell there but at least you would have tried it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Select worked for me in the beginning, but I'm so glad I decided to try other venues. iTunes and B&N combined equal my monthly Amazon checks now. It's not an easy decision, good luck!  :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've also had good results with KDP Select and I have 4 books currently in the program. All of those agreements are set to expire in mid-April but I'm reserving my decision on whether to stay in until after the dust settles from the recent changes. I actually have a published book that includes a big section on using KDP Select so I'm actively monitoring all the sites that previously promoted free books (I have nearly 100 on my lists) and will be publishing a revision later this month.

As far as the other platforms (Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, etc.) - between LinkedIn and Facebook I belong to maybe half a dozen different authors groups and there is no question that the bulk of sales comes through Amazon. Based on chats, B/N is especially weak.

Regardless of whether I decided to hang on a little longer with Select, I will be working to find new ways to promote my books outside of the program.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Some folks sell quite a bit more via other outlets (Smashwords and their distribution) than thru Amazon alone.  It might be helpful to at least TRY to put your works elsewhere, say for another 3-month period.  You'll still be on Amazon, of course, so that channel won't disappear, but if, after 3 months, you're not happy with sales activity you've seen, you can always go back to being exclusive in Select.  (Of course, be aware that if you do go back to Select, there's a lag period in taking your book down off the other places.)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I agree with Jena. Seriously, you ave nothing To loose. Take it off select. If it doesn't work, go back.
Unlike amazon, the other place allow you to leave them whenever. I don't see why it is one or the other. Try other places. If sales are too low, go back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm one of those with mixed views on Select. It's definitely helped me with getting some free promotions, and my book got to #16 in sci-fi adventure and #3 in sci-fi military when it went free. I also think it helped in getting my first reviews, but alas, I likely will have to pull it out after this 3 month term expires next week. The issues don't stem from Select but mostly from a failure to price match. I've got a promotional short story that is available for free on all of the other e-readers, and Amazon will not match the free price. To sum it up, I can't keep it exclusive to Amazon anymore. If it weren't for that issue, I'd probably keep it in Select. The other platforms don't sell nearly as well as Kindle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts