Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been around for a long time, and sorry if it's been discussed to death, but I swear I never saw it before. I was just grateful when I DID see it. KDP now posts (or always posted, and where was I?) a notice in your Bookshelf, if your book contains spelling errors. Threads had four. Two of these were uncommonly spelled names, but the two real errors made me go YIKES!!! Fixing ASAP!

I know some authors have had their titles removed and gotten an email saying it was due to errors. So this was very nice to see.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Huh. I haven't heard of that. Posting notices like that would be a good thing. Is it just a link on the main bookshelf page?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I never heard of this, and see nothing on my own titles. Where does one find this info? And is it just on new uploads, or all one's books?

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I've never heard of this -- heard about getting an email if readers complain, but never a note on the bookshelf.

Dang, now I've got to go check. I only look at that page once a week.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I hope this isn't a new feature. How many misspellings (or complaints) would it take to trigger it? Is it going to hit books that use British spelling? What's next? Wonky punctuation? Dangling participles?

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I loaded an update of The 15th Star on December 19th, 2012. I received a note saying my book had 7 mistakes. It was a character's name and correctly spelled. All I had to do was check a box that it was intentional and the upload was completed.

Frankly, this is a great idea. If it stops not-yet-ready books from being uploaded, it will help sales.

Also, my theory is— Amazon is getting to the point where books will not automatically be approved for sale in the store. Again, this is fantastic news. Books will have to "pass" an automated set standard or the author will have to pay to have the books edited by Amazon, kind of like what they offer now over at Create Space.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
This would be awesome, especially if you can just click away the explainable ones.

I just got a very nice 4-star (except for the part where they mentioned the book was free!  :mad: ) where the reader mentioned that there were a couple of typos.
WHERE, man, WHERE  ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quiss said:
This would be awesome, especially if you can just click away the explainable ones.

I just got a very nice 4-star (except for the part where they mentioned the book was free! :mad: ) where the reader mentioned that there were a couple of typos.
WHERE, man, WHERE ??? ??? ???
They do breed and move when you aren't looking, mind you.

If they do start doing this sort of check, it could really be helpful, though I forsee my books (and many other Sci-fi/Fantasy) having a heck of a time passing due to all the "alien" linguistics. As long as you can checkbox stuff, I'm all for it.

G

·
NottiThistledore said:
I've noticed that when uploading a file KDP does a check for potential errors, but haven't seen any other notification about it. Hopefully that means my books are clean. :D
Yeah, I saw this recently as well with my last couple of uploads. I think it is a nice "last chance" feature in case you missed something obvious. Both books got "flagged" with errors that weren't (they were typical "fantasy" type words that spellcheckers tend not to recognize).

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Huh. This is definitely news to me. The book I just published Sunday night contains some words that would fail a spell check but are totally legit in context. Nothing triggered then and I have no notices appearing when I view the bookshelf. Either this only just went into effect, or it requires some kind of trigger.

However, I also noticed I don't have an estimated page count showing up yet. I uploaded my book in (old-style) .mobi format after using Calibre for the conversion. Perhaps the upload format is a factor.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go. When you click View it gives you the option to have the results emailed to you - that's what I did. Very handy.

Edited: This book was first uploaded in 2007, when KDP was a newborn. So they're screening everyone.

Edited Again: I went back and viewed the errors, and had the option to ignore the two that aren't errors. Now it displays as "2 Possible." When I upload the correction, I expect the warning to go away.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Thank you! That's really interesting. I only upload as formatted mobi files, so I guess they must not check those until customers send enough complaints. ;D

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Good luck to them figuring out the spelling in some of my books.  ::)

ETA: Nothing like that on any of mine (yet anyway). Of course, I had to look. The thought of their spellchecking my historical novels or even the fantasies just makes me snort. THAT should work. (Picture more eye-rolling)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quiss said:

I just got a very nice 4-star (except for the part where they mentioned the book was free! :mad: ) where the reader mentioned that there were a couple of typos.
WHERE, man, WHERE ??? ??? ???
Yep, hate the mention of freebie and a typo here or there. Where?? ::)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts