Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Personally, I would never leave anything valuable unattended on the beach...but then I don't go to the beach much these days.  Not for swimming anyway.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I live in a place where beaches are the norm.  That said I never ever take anything to the beach that I can't afford to lose.  So my Kindle will never ever go to the beach with me.  If you are a one book at at time person the buy a book on your Kindle and get the same book from the library(LB) then read the Kindle and then switch to the LB when you go to the beach.  If you leave your Kindle in the room I would make sure you bury it under a lot of clothes and out of sight so it doesn't disappear from your room while you are gone.  I usually have multiple books going so I don't have your problem so I have a paperback for the beach and my Kindle for the rest of time. 
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Do not take you K to the beach unless you intend to stay on the beach with it...the same goes for your camera, cell phone, car keys, etc.  Also, don't think it is safe even in the trunk of your car.

I've lived in HI 2 different times.  The first time, I was living in Maui...my brand new 8mp camera was stolen out of my trunk while at the beach.  We were away from the car for 10 minutes...didn't like the look of the beach...immediately went back to the car and the camera was gone.  We couldn't even tell the trunk had been broken into.  This time around I'm living on Oahu...in the past 6 months, I know on at least 2 occasions my beach bag has been searched.

I have a couple of dry bags and a cheap nylon fanny pack.  All money, IDs, car keys, etc...gets double bagged and stuck in the fanny pack.  The entire thing goes into the water with us.  It might be a little extreme but I've had bad luck at the beach. 

·
Registered
368 Posts
If it is just a short trip of a week or two I personally would not take my Kindle on that kind of vacation.  It would not be safe at the beach and I try not to leave too many valuables in my hotel room either.  Some things like cameras, phones, etc. you have to take.  But you can always just read a couple of DTB,s on vacation.  That is just what I would do,  I tend to error on the side of caution.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have a vacation coming up next month....basically I'm away for one day...LOL!  I guess my Kindle will be staying home...afraid it might be kidnapped ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
if there will be times when everyone in your party will be in the water, then I would not take Kindle to the beach. I would never leave anything even remotely important to me unattended on a beach

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Anytime I have gone to the beach where I have had something of value with me (and that includes car keys), there is always one person doing sentry duty under the umbrella. We take turns and not everyone is in the water together. It works.

I like GG's suggestion of having the paperbook and Kindle version for reading in the hotel vs. reading on the beach. I would be worried about sand and water, although I gather the dri-lock bags are very secure.

L

·
Registered
869 Posts
I second Leslie's suggestion.

I have a question that's related to this one.  Does heat/cold affect the Kindle at all outdoors?  I know most electronics should not be out in direct sunlight or in the cold for long periods of time.  Anyone have an idea or experiences?

Marci

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Marci said:
I second Leslie's suggestion.

I have a question that's related to this one. Does heat/cold affect the Kindle at all outdoors? I know most electronics should not be out in direct sunlight or in the cold for long periods of time. Anyone have an idea or experiences?

Marci
This just came up on the Amazon board in relation to having the Kindle out in the cold. From the user's manual, here are the operating temperatures:

Charge the battery only in temperatures that range from 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
Operating temperature 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C)
Storage temperature 14°F to 113°F (-10°C to 45°C)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Neversleepsawink;) said:
I have a vacation coming up next month....basically I'm away for one day...LOL! I guess my Kindle will be staying home...afraid it might be kidnapped ;)
That's Kindlenapped.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I guess it depends on whether it's a public or private beach.  I've been to the Sandals in the Bahamas a number of times, and always took my iPod, camera, etc, down to the beach or pool with me.  When we were going into the water, we'd just put the stuff under our towels in the beach bags and never had a problem.

That said, Sandals is private property, and a kind of upscale couples-only resort, so no kids and no outsiders are permitted.  If I was at the public beach outside of Nassau, no way would I bring anything of significant value.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would be so afraid the sand from the beach would ruin the kindle.  I don't care how well you pack stuff seems that sand can get into everything ;D

I think even this summer when I go to our subdivision pool I'll take a book, I don't trust that someone might pick it up with all the kids running around or that something will happen to it.  I will be babying it whenever I actually get it!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Leslie said:
Anytime I have gone to the beach where I have had something of value with me (and that includes car keys), there is always one person doing sentry duty under the umbrella. We take turns and not everyone is in the water together. It works.

L
I travel alone a lot and so I don't' have anyone to do sentry duty on a beach, but Leslie's suggestion is good. I take my electronics and bury them in drawer under clothes when I'm at the beach and have never had a problem. Most of the time I have my Kindle with me in my purse or back pack when I'm on vacation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We went on vacation a couple of months ago--same thing, left the Kindle and did not bring it to the beach.  There were just too many things to be concerned about--water, sun, sand, thieves...who needs the worry LOL!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I think it is fine to bring it to the beach as long as there is someone who is going to stay with your possessions when you are in swimming. I went to Aruba with my fiance. When we knew we were going to be in the water at the same time, we did not bring anything of value with us to the beaches. When we were  going to chill on the beach for the day, we agreed that we would go swimming alone and brought IPods. I did not have my Kindle but I would have brought it with me on those days. In a waterproof bag of some sort.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Great question and lots of good answers!  We are going on a Disney Cruise in Feb and I'm still debating whether to bring my K w/me.  I worry about leaving it in the hotel (it's a land/sea package) and in the cabin where staff will be in for cleaning, etc.  We spend 2 weeks at the beach every summer too and while I will bring it on vacation w/me, I won't bring it to the beach due to sand, humidity, etc.  We rent a private house so I am not worried about it being stolen.  Any thoughts on bringing it on the cruise?
Ruby

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm taking a cruise next month as well. I was planning on putting my Kindle in one of those waterproof bags and reading it on the beach, and not taking it our of the bag NO MATTER WHAT when I'm on the beach. I'm going with my family, so somebody will always be there to babysit, and I'm not in the water that much anyway. Does anybody have a reccomendation on a good waterproof bag? I haven't done much research yet, but I'm always open to suggestions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts