Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So a few times this year my books have been launched on KDP and the KENPC is only showing as 1 page. This is when it should be showing as 250 - 350.

It's happened to 4 books I've uploaded so far, I’ve a niche publishing company and it’s really impacted the authors I work with. It's literally meant some getting thousands of dollars less than they should have.

I've emailed KDP support each time it's happened, and they always 'escalate it to the development team / finance team', and nothing has been done. I first contacted them about this end of last year, and they've never resolved this in any way.

Previously I've had to upload the books a few times until it's showing the correct page count, but when I have they've tried to tell me "there's no issue, it looks all good".

The last book I took the financial hit and left it on 1 KENPC so they couldn't deny there's an issue, but same result, gets escalated and nothing happens. Then if I chase it up they say "we'll contact that team again and get back to you". Then they go silent again.

This is extremely frustrating. On one hand they're losing myself and my authors money. On the other hand it'd likely mean a loss moving away from them, so it's not really an option.

Anyone else having this issue? Did you manage to solve it in any way?

For context, these books are pre-order books, and getting uploaded (the full book) a month or two in advance. The files are all working, it's 100% an issue on their end.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I wonder if it could be a formatting problem on your end?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds like there aren't any page breaks between chapters. That would make the program think it's one long chapter. Otherwise, all you can do is ask Amazon to take a look.
Marti's Books

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Lack of page breaks between chapters wouldn't do this.

Most think it's a glitch where someone opens the book, makes sure it downloaded properly, and then either close the book or go offline. If the page counts eventually catch up, then it's nothing to worry about. It's happened lots of times before.

It's literally meant some getting thousands of dollars less than they should have.
Except you really have no way of knowing this. It could be that someone got the book, opened it, read a page and decided it wasn't for them and returned it. No one is owed money from books just because they've been uploaded, even borrowed.

My advice is to keep escalating this with KDP through the email reply you get. Don't start a new email chain, because this just puts you back at square one and you have to keep getting through to people past the base level of customer service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Except you really have no way of knowing this. It could be that someone got the book, opened it, read a page and decided it wasn't for them and returned it. No one is owed money from books just because they've been uploaded, even borrowed.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Our company has published over 1,100 full length books and these books were part of an ongoing series which has historically hit certain numbers. Add that to the amount of pre-orders, sales, reviews we're received and loyal reader base, there's not reason to think these books won't have performed as expected. This isn't based on arrogance but instead historical data: I know 100% that we're out thousands of dollars.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm guessing no one else that's read this has had this experience, thanks anyway. If anyone has it'd be great to hear how you resolved it or where you currently are in the process. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly.

Love this community.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the same thing happen a couple of times recently. I just re-upload the exact same file and go through the publishing process again, and it's always fixed within one or two attempts.
Thanks for sharing.

As we do everything quite automated (pre-scheduling books and promotion) I've only noticed the issue a few days after launch each time. By that point a lot of money has been lost. I think I'll have to check when the book goes live, and only have the promotions go out if the page reads are ok. If not I'll put them on pause until it's sorted. It'll still lose some money, but at least not as much.

Wish there was a better solution, not sure if KDP are working on a fix but they haven't openly admitted there's an issue from when it first happened last year. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts