• Want One

Votes: 64 18.4%
  • What Is A Keurig??

Votes: 33 9.5%
2341 - 2360 of 2385 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Never looked for them in a grocery store. Going later today. Will check out info on the package then if store has them.

ETA: Back from Jewel-Osco grocery store (Chicago area). Didn't have them. Just sets of one-time use cups, etc. similar to Simple Cups sets.

·
Registered
417 Posts
So how are the reusable cups different from the one you get with the keurig? I haven't use it yet so am curious. When I decided that I wanted a Keurig, had gone to Costco and they had a discount on it that ended that day. So picked one up for $119 and was really pleased with myself ;D  Am on my second Platinum Keurig from Costco since the first one, after a month, just died. Nothing worked to revive it.  I love the english breakfast tea  hot chocolate and haven't really tried to find a coffee that I like yet. I don't like the bitter strong ones so will sample some others. I like a mild one. Have dunkin donut bag of coffee so may try the little basket that came with the machine. 

·
Registered
765 Posts
For a reusable option I prefer the EkoBrew (tip: much easier to clean while they are still warm. just turn them upside down and give them a good whack on a paper towel on the counter and then wash). Great tasting coffee every time and only one piece to worry about.

The My K-Cup that comes with the brewer, too many pieces and you have to remove the K-Cup holder from the machine to use it (at least on the old one I have)

SoloFill is a decent one too but it is smaller and has that little extra bit down on the bottom that is harder to clean, but still makes a good cup.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I bought reusable As Seen On TV k-cups yesterday at Target.  Haven't opened package as yet.  Don't think I will -- just return.  Comments on-line about it say doesn't alway work and you get coffee grounds in Keurig machine.  No thanks.  I'll just continue making my own with Simple Cup cups, filters, and lids.  I can easily use cups four times. 

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I did return reusable filters / K-cups. Anyone had success with reusable cups, filters, lids for the K10 model? Think I may try Simple Cups reusable.

Currently my coffee of choice in ready-made K-Cups is Eight O'Clock Dark Italian Roast. I've been making my own K-cups with a Trader Joe's coffee and Simple Cups disposable cups, lids, and filters. I love Trader Joe's anything. :)

ETA: What kind of grind works best in home-made K-cups? IIRC, I read some place it's better if grind is medium to coarse? Seems if grind is too fine, only a little water passes through a fine grind. Water soaks into and is held in "powered coffee".

·
Registered
765 Posts
As much as I love the Ekobrew for a reusable cup option. I think I prefer K-Cups. The flavor and strength is always the same for me, which I like. I could never manage that consistency when using grounds, even though I always measured the same amount.

I'm also happy to see so many new flavors/brands making K-Cups now.

I bought some Door County brand.. Sinful Delight, Highlander Grogg and Heavenly Caramel. I enjoyed all 3 flavors.

Barnies Coffee Kitchen in Santa's White Christmas and Cool Cafe Blues were also pretty good.

I usually buy my regular flavors and Walmart, Kohls, Elder-Beerma, Keurig.. anywhere that has what I want and either a good sale, coupon or free shipping.

Recently when I wanted to try a few new flavors without buying full boxes of them I placed an order with okcups.com they are a shop in Philadelphia and they let you buy single kcups for around $.60-.70 each. They shipped fast too. I thought that was a decent price for not having to invest in 18-22 cups of the same flavor that I might not like.

*edit to add* I have 2 Keurigs now. My older Special Edition (K60?) and I got a purple Mini Plus (K10) for Christmas, to either save to use a backup, or to take with me when I travel because I'm tired of not having MY coffee lol.

I'm also really happy to see all of the tea options now. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to boil water and wait for a steep when I have a sore throat.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I buy the Breakfast Blend for my mother-in-law. My usual flavors are French Vanilla, Hazelnut and Caramel Vanilla Cream. (all Green Mountain, I do like their coffee more than any other I've tried).. but I always keep about 5 other flavors around to rotate. especially the seasonal flavors like Golden French Toast and Island Coconut.

I do prefer a mild/light roast, with a good flavor. I don't really like "regular" coffee, but I will drink it if it's the Breakfast Blend or a Donut Shop type. and I gotta have my International Delight French Vanilla Creamer :) MIL likes the Dunkin Donuts Extra Extra creamer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the individual keurig, do not drink coffee but enjoy hot chocolate and tea. Trying to find k-cups of Chinese tea or Russian Black Tea.  Will keep looking but so farno luck.

·
Registered
765 Posts
There are several brands/flavors of tea kcups I want to try.. I've lost my list of the individual flavors, but here are some brands that I have been looking at

Harney & Sons
Higgins & Burke
Prospect Tea
Stash
Caza Trail
Republic of Tea
Traditional Medicinals
Teasia
iMatcha

I think I found most of those on Amazon (it's always the first place I look for anything lol)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So, how does tea come out, since there isn't time to steep it?

·
Registered
765 Posts
The ones I have tried have turned out pretty good, comparing them to tea bags, of course. Neither K-Cups or bags are going to compare to loose leaf.

So far I've tried Twinings Winter Spice and Christmas Tea, Lipton Indulge Black and Tazo Calm Chamomile. Also some Jasmine Lemon Green tea by Private Selection (Kroger), and Archer Farms Ginger Green (Target)

The tea K-cups work best on 6 or 8 oz.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have used quite a few tea cups and they have all worked. I also just use it to get cup-sized portions of water into mugs with tea bags in them. It makes tea-making a much faster since the water is already hot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Black tea and Oolong.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The kind they sell in Chinese Resturants.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
balaspa said:
I also just use it to get cup-sized portions of water into mugs with tea bags in them. It makes tea-making a much faster since the water is already hot.
Yeah, that's what I do for bags (but to get a mug sized portion). Never tried the tea cups; may have to get some.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks I will check it out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Tis the season for Golden French Toast.. I love that coffee. I ordered 3 boxes and they arrived today. :)

I also ordered a 40 count variety pack of Prospect Tea from Amazon. It arrived a couple days ago. So far I've only tried the Himalayan Spring which is Oolong infused with peach and the Duke of Earl Grey.  Both smell fantastic while brewing and taste quite good.

2341 - 2360 of 2385 Posts