Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't agree with the author of this article. Taking away the physical keyboard would greatly reduce the functionality of the Kindle. When Amazon goes to the touch screen on the Kindle, I could see them dropping the physical keyboard in favor of a touch one. But for me and other low vision users of the Kindle, it needs to be big enough to type on, have good contrast, and a level of brightness, to make it fully functional and usable for us. And I'm not sure that Eink is going to allow for that. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Amazon does with the next generation of the Kindle to find out.

Gene

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-08/keyless-nook-beats-kindle-for-easy-e-reading-rich-jaroslovsky.html?cmpid=yhoo

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
kb7uen Gene said:
I just can't agree with the author of this article. Taking away the physical keyboard would greatly reduce the functionality of the Kindle. When Amazon goes to the touch screen on the Kindle, I could see them dropping the physical keyboard in favor of a touch one. But for me and other low vision users of the Kindle, it needs to be big enough to type on, have good contrast, and a level of brightness, to make it fully functional and usable for us. And I'm not sure that Eink is going to allow for that. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Amazon does with the next generation of the Kindle to find out.

Gene

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-08/keyless-nook-beats-kindle-for-easy-e-reading-rich-jaroslovsky.html?cmpid=yhoo
I was a keyboard gal all the way until the new generation of touch screens came out (the original Nook's touch screen is awful). But with these new ones, on a Pearl screen, I'd think the keyboard would actually be bigger and more usable than the K3's keyboard. I haven't seen the new Nook in person yet, but I have seen the Sony readers and readability of the screen controls is excellent. And I haven't heard any complaints from the Sony Touch owners who post here.

Here are a couple more reviews I hadn't seen before, I found them looking for a picture of the touch keyboard...
http://www.marco.org/2011/06/03/nook-simple-touch-review - I'm with this guy on the "ecosystem" part, and my book $$ are with Amazon, even though I have a 1st generation Nook as well. Much as I like the looks of the Nook Touch, I'm waiting for the "Kindle Touch", and I have a feeling Amazon will do a better job of it.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/02/barnes-noble-nook-review-2011/

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The size of the keyboard in the picture is nice, but as you can see, the contrast is a problem in this example of the new keyboard.  Now if the area around the keys could be made black, the charactors enlarged a little and bolded, and the shift and enter keys changed to the same color scheme as the other keys, then it would be low vision friendly.  But theres is no reason why that couldn't be a firmware option in settings.

Gene

·
Registered
445 Posts
kb7uen Gene said:

Gene

I agree. While I don't have vision issues (I use the tiny font on my Kindle!), I've never been good with onscreen keyboards. Gotta have the keys!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I actually agree with him.

Having owned the kindle for just a couple of days now I can say the overall ergonomics of the new nook would be nicer.

But, "we", don't have a huge need for the keyboard either, it's for reading. I think the chunkier bezel would make it easier to hold for me- I'd rather hold my iPad than the kindle. I can't figure out where to put my thumb (it's naked right now). If I put it onthe side so I'm not covering any of the screen, I hit a page turn button. It kinda leaves me the area between the screen and keyboard, then I have to move to turn a page.

The touch screen would just round it all out.

My Dad got to see the K for the first time yesterday, he instinctively went to touch the screen. He finally "got" the controls, but they were a bit small for his hands, and I can see that on a bad medical day for him, the touch screen would be easier. As it was, he was riding himself accidentally pushing the 5way while doing things just because he was resting his finger there.

But as someone new to the kindle hardware owning family, I have to say the nook was hard to resist because it did meet my hardware requirements "that much better". My current feelings about BN and their Ebooks and the Audible integration on the Kindle kept me with it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
THe other part of the equation in this, as I've laid here pondering it more, is just how much time you spend doing what on your ereader.

Do you spend your time typing..... Or consuming media?

I spend most of my time consuming media on my iPad, hence the pop up keyboard is fine. I'd expect to be doing the same thing on my ereader.

I would think that if you are spending huge chunks of time daily typing on the kindle, you *maybe* aren't using the best device for the job. As I'm not you, I can't say that for sure, and I recognize that, but it is the first thing that enters my brain.

I guess just feel the touch interface is the next evolution in UI advancements. It's instinctive today to try to touch everything to make it work. It is where we are in the world....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
TraceyC/FL said:
Do you spend your time typing..... Or consuming media?
A well expressed question.

Either form of the keyboard is fine with me. I don't use a Kindle keyboard to type other than very briefly for a word or two. Thus it doesn't much matter.

Given a choice, I would take the touch screen as it means more reading real estate when the keyboard is not in use.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
One of the things I liked about the original Kobo was the blank area to hold it by. Apparently I'm in the minority, though, as both Nook and Kobo adopted very much the same design. I like physical page turn buttons, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Having just looked at the new e-ink Nook I have to say that Kindle needs to do some catch up.
It has the rubberized case, a touch screen that works really well, and physical page turn buttons on either side of the device.
Oh I forgot to mention. It also takes up to a 32GB SD card for extra storage.
The only downside I can think of is it's browser is so limited that they don't even advertise it.
Ron 

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have had a kindle since December 07. And they have made great changes along the way. I really like this new Nook.  But don't care for their store. Which is what has kept me from buying. I have an dreaded to read books, Amazon excels in that area. So I stay.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ronald said:
Having just looked at the new e-ink Nook I have to say that Kindle needs to do some catch up.
It has the rubberized case, a touch screen that works really well, and physical page turn buttons on either side of the device.
Oh I forgot to mention. It also takes up to a 32GB SD card for extra storage.
The only downside I can think of is it's browser is so limited that they don't even advertise it.
Ron
It's funny, the original Kindle had a rubberized case and an SD card slot and they were taken to task for having a reader that was ugly and too bulky. So they "iPod-ified" the Kindle 2 and made the back aluminum and dropped the SD card slot for additional internal storage (seriously, are you really going to have 32 GB of books on your Kindle or nook? That is more books than one could read in their lifetime-there is a point of diminishing returns when you're talking about storage space for files as tiny as eBooks). Now people are saying that B&N are so revolutionary for adding in features that Amazon dropped because of criticism back in 2007.

For the record, I am a huge fan of the wedge design of the original Kindle. That device was in development for 3 years, and I felt that there was a significant consideration of ergonomics and design. All of which got scrapped b/c people are too accustomed to Apple's shiny symmetry. *gets off soapbox*

·
Registered
701 Posts
On the new touch screen Nook, how do you find a comfortable holding position?  The bezel doesn't look wide enough to allow for grasping the device without grabbing the screen.  Seems like you'd have to hold it from behind with your fingers spread wide to grasp the edges.

·
Registered
951 Posts
A person on another board I post on put up a picture of the new Nook and it had the ghosting problem that some of them are having.  I doubt I would have switched over (I hate the B&N ebook store) but any temptation I had went out the window after seeing that picture.  The ghosting was way worse than anything I have ever seen on my Kindle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
laurie_lu said:
On the new touch screen Nook, how do you find a comfortable holding position? The bezel doesn't look wide enough to allow for grasping the device without grabbing the screen. Seems like you'd have to hold it from behind with your fingers spread wide to grasp the edges.
I have the new Nook ereader and it's comfortable to hold without a case. All my ereaders have cases though. This has worked for me so far- haven't broken one yet. ( looks around frantically for wood to knock on..)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.