Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of advice to any self-published authors who think it might be a good idea to include so-called "comparison titles" in their own title, PLEASE do not do this!

http://www.amazon.com/SICK-CK-tradition-Attraction-ebook/product-reviews/B004MME3X2/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

By listing a more popular author's name and title in a "subtitle" to your book, you are simply clogging up customers' searches, particularly when the author has not authorized such a use of their name and your book is nothing like the other book anyway.

The book I linked to is merely one of many by a particular author, who has made a habit of randomly choosing popular authors and books and including them in his own title, so that when a customer searches for the popular book, his books come up. This is referred to as "keyword spamming" and he has been reported to Amazon for inappropriate content. I don't know if he removed the authors' names or if Amazon did, but his actions are pretty much unacceptable. I'm guessing he may have removed it, because the authors who complained are now gone from his titles (Cherise Sinclair and Mel Schroeder), but others are now in their place.

This is a form of false advertising. It's one thing for a reviewer to state that fans of a popular author's work might enjoy your work, but simply putting that author's name and books in your own title so that it will come up in searches is co-opting their brand.

PLEASE do not do this.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
This is a form of false advertising. It's one thing for a reviewer to state that fans of a popular author's work might enjoy your work, but simply putting that author's name and books in your own title so that it will come up in searches is co-opting their brand.

PLEASE do not do this.
Agreed. How silly. (and low) :(

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The good news is that with five one-star reviews complaining about the tactic and a sales rank of 99,000, I don't think this is a scheme that will tempt many other writers.

I've seen random names pop up as tags of other books and I can't decide if this is an author trying to get picked up in a search of a popular title or a fan saying, "This kind of reminds me of X's books." In any case, I've decided that tags are pointless in finding books. I've seen enough low-ranked books will zillions of tags and plenty of top 100 books with only a handful.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MichaelWallace said:
I've seen random names pop up as tags of other books and I can't decide if this is an author trying to get picked up in a search of a popular title or a fan saying, "This kind of reminds me of X's books." In any case, I've decided that tags are pointless in finding books. I've seen enough low-ranked books will zillions of tags and plenty of top 100 books with only a handful.
I wasn't even talking about the random names in tags, but that is another good point. In that case, of course, you can't really tell whether it was done by the author or by a fan, but in the case I mentioned, it was clearly done by the author himself, solely to be get picked up in searches of popular titles. He included it as the subtitle to his book. Tantamount to false advertising.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I was just going to add that Amanda, some people quite often say please vote down tags as I've not added them. It could be that some fans are comparing books to their favourite authors.

I know you said it hasn't happened in this specific case, but I still think you should point out it's not always the authors fault.  ;)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mel Comley said:
I was just going to add that Amanda, some people quite often say please vote down tags as I've not added them. It could be that some fans are comparing books to their favourite authors.

I know you said it hasn't happened in this specific case, but I still think you should point out it's not always the authors fault. ;)
I'm NOT talking about tagging. I'm talking about instances where an author actually lists the other author's name and title" IN HIS OWN TITLE!

For example, the one I linked to:
SICK F*CK (In the tradition of Bret Easton Ellis, _____)

That's what he has as his title. He's actually put Mr. Ellis's name and book in his own title.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
The things people won't try! *shakes head*

Fortunately, as a tactic, it is one that doesn't appear to work anyway, so I doubt it will be copied much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.