Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd put "chick lit" as one of the 7 keywords you can add to your book.  So tonight, being incredibly bored, I searched for "chick lit" under kindle books.  I got up 45 pages and could not find my book on any of them.  So I did it again (I was really bored), and got about 63 pages - still nothing not even down the bottom of the pile with the books that have placeholder covers and are written in languages other than English. 

Do those keywords actually do anything?  Am I doing something wrong?  I'd put in the term without quote marks around it, not sure if it needed them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am fairly new to all of this myself. But - I would say that 'chick lit' is a tag that is used by lots of authors, therefore it might almost be a waste of a tag unless your book is one of their best sellers.

Since Amazon is all about the money I would assume there is some sort of algorithm that determines which ones show up higher in the list. That would be my assumption anyway. If thousands of people use that tag, they would have to have some sort of algorithm to determine the order the books show up in. Hope that makes sense. But like I said - I am new to all of this myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
kathrynoh said:
Thanks. I wasn't expecting it to come high up but did think it would be somewhere in the results :eek:
You're welcome. I know what you mean, but the problem is there are probably a gazillion books using that tag.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Interesting. I write about drugs so I tried typing in "heroin" on amazon.co.uk. Not surprisingly the top books all had the word in the title *or* they were amazon prime books (I wonder if Select gives you more visibility here?). My books came up mid-way down page 2, fairly high in the fiction lists but what surprised me was that the second book (which has only been out a couple of months) came a few books higher than the first book (which has been out a couple of years).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. When I search for the keywords I used on my book, it doesn't appear either. Makes me doubt the keywords I picked for my book are the right ones. Or maybe I just don't have enough sales yet to make my book show up?

Perhaps the keywords are another of those Amazon mysteries, not meant to be figured out by mere mortals like us!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, it has to do with how saturated your keywords are - and how popular your book is. Ideally you want non-saturated keywords (that are still relevant) AND have a solid ranking / rating / whatever Amazon uses to make you stick out. Having the keyword in your title helps, but that can be a tricky thread to pluck. In a way it's basic SEO mechanics.

For my books, they all have the tag "lesbian". Now, lesbian isn't as big as chick-lit, but it's still pretty big. There are thousands of books in the lesbian tag at Amazon. But because my freebie has a consistently high ranking it shows up on the first page of the tag. Of course, it's also a part of my title. But on the flipside the same title shows up on the first page of the "japan" tag. Now THAT slays me! (And yes, Japan is one of my keywords, although not in my title. I'm not even sure it's in the description.)

Until you start getting some consistently high rankings, you're probably not going to go far in the chick-lit tag. I would see if there are any nichier tags you can find that relevant and something likely to be searched.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I just tested a theory and 'chick lit' turns up a different number of search results to 'chicklit' and 'chick-lit'.  If you're searching for your book and not finding it at all, then you may want to make sure that you're typing in the same thing that you entered in your keywords section.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You can also try modifying the "chick lit" keyword so it's more specific. Remember that the phrases can be a few words long, if you want. "Chick lit" brings up 3158 books, but "sexy chick lit" brings up only 59. Will anyone ever use those exact search terms? Who knows. But if they did, they'd find your book. ;)

"Sexy chick lit" is just an example, of course. But it might work for you.

And then you'd still be in the "chick lit" search results too, because that partial phrase is still there. I have also spent way too much time sifting through search result pages on Amazon to find this out, lol!

·
Registered
313 Posts
You have to do more with your keywords than just put them in when you publish your book. They need to be in your book description and (if possible) your title.

You can use the Google Keyword Tool to narrow down your keyword results, then apply that to Amazon. You can find out what searches people are using on Amazon by going to the Kindle Store, then typing partial words into the search box. Amazon will make suggestions and you can note those down as well.

It also takes some time to rank for your keywords after you've implemented them.

I have a post here that goes into more detail about keywords: http://theselfpublishingtoolkit.com/how-to-find-your-keywords/

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Does Amazon allow you to change your keywords after your book has been published for a while, and do you then become searchable with the new keywords?

Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've changed mine. You can do it through the KDP dashboard and then republish your book. It will probably take a while to rank for your new keywords but if you use them in your book description, bio and other areas, then you should be able to rank for them.

One other note, the more specific your keywords, the better chance you'll have ranking for them....like funny chick lit over chick lit. You do need to spend some time ferreting out the good ones but it's worth it especially if you have more than one book to sell.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I might play around with the keywords and see how I go.

One other note, the more specific your keywords, the better chance you'll have ranking for them....like funny chick lit over chick lit
I didn't know that. I'll give it a go.

BookGrow (a member here) posted a GREAT thread about keywords and how to manipulate search so that your book shows up higher. (Basically it breaks down as a customer needs to search "chick lit" and then buy your book)
I did read that but it does involve getting people to buy your book in the first place... :eek:

Yes, it has to do with how saturated your keywords are - and how popular your book is. Ideally you want non-saturated keywords (that are still relevant) AND have a solid ranking / rating / whatever Amazon uses to make you stick out. Having the keyword in your title helps, but that can be a tricky thread to pluck. In a way it's basic SEO mechanics.
I have it in the keywords and the description plus in a few reviews so I guess the key is sell more books.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
daphne dangerlove said:
I've changed mine. You can do it through the KDP dashboard and then republish your book. It will probably take a while to rank for your new keywords but if you use them in your book description, bio and other areas, then you should be able to rank for them.

One other note, the more specific your keywords, the better chance you'll have ranking for them....like funny chick lit over chick lit. You do need to spend some time ferreting out the good ones but it's worth it especially if you have more than one book to sell.
Thanks, Daphne.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I found that Amazon put me in the "teen" section because I've got Young Adult as one of my keywords, a category that you would normally not be able to get into without asking.

I also did a search for "Young adult gay" (young adult and gay are two of my keywords) and found the two books in the series on page 4 and page 14, not the best places, but they aren't that big selling anyway ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts