Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've never set up a Kickstarter for myself, but I've donated to other ones. It's a great site for creative types. I don't think you'd have to think of it as panhandling. There are a lot of struggling artists out there, and I think we like to help each other out.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Gabriel Beyers said:
Due to unseen financial troubles, I'm not going to have enough money to self-pub my next novel. I've been toying with the idea of opening a Kickstarter account.

Have any of you ever tried Kickstarter? It feels a bit like panhandling, but I'm sort of out of options.
Seems to me there is nothing to be lost by giving it a try. (This is what I call a why-not decision. :)
EC

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I know how you feel about saving for the next novel. I'm having trouble getting mine saved up for the third. Kickstarter sounds like a great idea. It could get you started or at least get some support. You might even get some readers interested. If you give it a go, please report back to the board. I'm curious how much support you can get for a novel from Kickstarter. Good luck!  ;D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank everyone.  I believe I will give it a try.  I've been researching it most of the night and several authors have had great success with it.  It will take a bit of planning, but I've been told that preparation always proceeds a blessing.

I'll let you know when it's up and going.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I may be moving my book two fundraising/presale to Kickstarter just for visibility's sake. I'm not raising funds fast enough on my own--I forgot that last time it took me a year (I was writing the whole time so it wasn't holding anything up).

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Hi,

I don't see it as panhandling at all, I see it (in some ways) as "the indie advance", and a way for indies to take pre-orders on books and plowing that money back into publication and promotion.

You could use it to do all sorts: pay for editing, finance a limited edition hardback, off-set printing - all sorts.

I blogged about it here:

Since I wrote that post, I have exceeded my $2,000 target with 12 days left to go. I'm going to commission an artist now to do some hand-drawn maps for my book, and I'm looking at some promo stuff too.

The experience couldn't have been more positive.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
It does take a little bit of start up money to publish. Not tons, but enough that I can see Kickstarter being helpful as long as you're not asking for too much. And if you're giving copies of the book to those that help out, I think it would be a good way to get pre-sales and pay for the editor and cover artist.

Good luck with it.

Vicki

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Oh, good luck to you!  I was excited to see this post as I was just contemplating this the other day.  I wish I could do print copies of my book, get good covers, editing, promotional advertising,...all things I, like you, can't do in my situation.  But I was afraid to ask and wasn't sure what I could offer back so I chickened out. 

Let us know how it goes for you...when you have your request posted.  I'll put it on my Facebook for you and help get the word out if you like.  I know many of us here would be glad to tweet or facebook it.  :) 

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The one caveat is that you do need to apply--and be accepted--to start the ball rolling.  Also, be aware that you should ask for a bit more than you need because Kickstarter does take a share of the donations.  Another key point is that...lets say you ask for 4k and only raise 1k...you don't get any money at all.

It's an amazing program and others have had much success with it...nothing ventured, nothing gained! 

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those of you that have used Kickstarter before, what are some of the prizes you all have come up with?  Here is what I've come up with so far:

$5+ gets your name in the acknowledgements and a free e-book;
$10+ above mentioned plus an additional free e-book;
$25+ above mentioned plus an autographed bookmark;
$50+ ???
$100+ above mentioned plus an autographed print book;
$250+ above mentioned plus have a character named after you;
$500+ ???
$1,000+ ???

What do you think?  Good for the price points or no?  Any suggestions for the missing prizes?  I wish I had more interesting swag lying about, but unless people want my kids used toys I'm a little on the light side.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
My prizes were:

(Note: Prices were relative to at-release pricing on everything. As the title aged, prices went down some.) This was a zombie book, so some prizes/names/wording is themed as such (which is a good thing to do).

$5 Supporter: Exclusive for this project, donating $5 snags you: 1) a copy of the electronic version of The Dying Times; and 2) a letter certifying the author's appreciate through the mail with an autograph attached. Your name (unless you wish to remain anonymous) will be proudly displayed on the novel's official homepage as an official support. You can receive the book in your choice of any of the popular formats available (Kindle, Nook, PDF, plain text, and others) for your enjoyment. This pledge level is available to everyone on earth. NOTE: Even with the added benefits, the pledge amount is priced LESS than the retail cost of the ebook through distributors.

$16 Vested: At this level, you receive a copy of The Dying Times, shipped and delivered to you. The added benefit of pledging here is that your book will be a part of the author's run, so you can save the money you would have spent on shipping. The retail price of the book is $13.95 + shipping, so this pledge level is the best value available.

$25 Enthusiast: Receive the personalized ebook as above, plus I will purchase a hard copy of the book for you, sign it, and ship it anywhere in the United States or Canada for you. This level is only available to the United States and Canada.

$50 Survivor: Receive the personalized ebook as above, plus I will purchase THREE hard copies of the book for you, sign them, and ship them to you. As an added benefit, you receive the Survivor Chronicles white T-Shirt in a size of your choice! Signed books make great gifts during the holidays.

$100 Bloody and Hardened: You receive FIVE copies, signed, shipped, and delivered. You receive the Survivor Chronicles white T-shirt in a size of your choice. All of this in appreciation of your extreme generosity!

$250 or more, True Zombie Fan: You receive TEN copies, signed, shipped, and delivered. You receive: * TWO Survivor Chronicles white T-shirts in a size of your choice. * The Survivor Chronicles travel mug. * The Survivor Chronicles mousepad. All of this in appreciation of your amazing generosity and staunch support of the zombie cause!

$1000 or more, THE Zombie Fanatic: To the victor goes the spoils! It's easier just to put it into a list (coffee mugs and down are exclusive Survivor Chronicles swag, and they are branded accordingly): - The electronic copy of the book & signed certified letter. - Appreciation on the official website. - TWENTY copies of the book, signed, shipped, and delivered. - FOUR coffee mugs, so you can invite other survivors over for coffee between killing! - FOUR travel mugs, so your coffee friends won't spill the java when sprinting to the next safe house! - THREE Aluminum Water Bottles - THREE T-shirts, ANY size AND color choice, it's totally up to you. - THREE Longsleeve T-Shirts, ANY size AND color choice, up to you. - The mousepad. - The jumbo tote bag. - The hooded sweatshirt. - And, finally, when pledging at this level, you will also receive a copy of EVERY future installment of The Survivor Chronicles series in paperback, free of charge, signed, shipped, and delivered to you.

We raised $510 altogether, 1 person at the $100 or more level, 8 at $25, 5 at $16, and 1 at $5. My Kickstarter project was one of those rare few which did not see most backers coming in at the $5 or under pledge level; most of your backers will back at that level usually.

If you want to see what the page looked like, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/175170485/the-dying-times-project. That's just to give you some ideas. I'm no Kickstarter master or anything.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Gabriel Beyers said:
$5+ gets your name in the acknowledgements and a free e-book;
$10+ above mentioned plus an additional free e-book;
$25+ above mentioned plus an autographed bookmark;
$50+ ???
$100+ above mentioned plus an autographed print book;
$250+ above mentioned plus have a character named after you;
$500+ ???
$1,000+ ???

What do you think? Good for the price points or no? Any suggestions for the missing prizes? I wish I had more interesting swag lying about, but unless people want my kids used toys I'm a little on the light side.
Hmmm.. I probably wouldn't support that because it doesn't seem like I would be getting much bang for my buck... $100 is a pretty high price point to hit before you're giving away an actual book...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts