Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this thing happened to me the other day. I read either here or on the KDP forums how to make a Goodreads review show up on Kobo sales pages. I've only had Kobo editions for a short time and haven't used Goodreads for more than a year. My data was still there, so I went to check the site for reviews. I'm thinking what if my reviews are crap there, I don't want them showing up on Kobo on their own and was wondering how to prevent it, but thank God they were okay!

So I followed the instructions and added Kobo editions to the existing Kindle editions, but nothing seemed to change. A bit disgruntled and disappointed I left it at that, but today I noticed sales at Kobo! I'm happy, readers are happy, the whole world looks brighter... but then I'm thinking huh? Why now? Why have my books been out weeks without sales, but suddenly they start selling?

When I checked one of my books called Hard Duty at Kobo, I find the Goodreads reviews have finally arrived. I must have performed the procedure correctly after all and it just took a week for the page to change.

So the moral of this story is, don't look a gift review in the mouth. Grab it, and link it to Kobo. :)

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
davidhaynes said:
That's interesting. I didn't know you could do that. Can you do it for nook too?
Not that we know of, no. My best guess is that Kobo and Goodreads are married, somehow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ah right. I've read somewhere that you can only do it if your book has an ISBN too? I've used D2D not smashwords which doesn't need an ISBN. That probably means I won't be able to link up anyway.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's great, Mark! Glad it's working for you. Do you remember the thread? I've done this for a couple of books, but just realised that both CRYO and Pacifier 6 haven't been linked. I've completely forgotten how to do it!

Geoff

·
Registered
726 Posts
You do not need an ISBN.  I believe you simply add your book's Kobo id number to your book over at Goodreads.  Then I think Kobo will find the reviews.  Have never done it myself but read that it did not have to be by ISBN.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've only just put it through D2D so it's not live yet but I'll have a go when it is. It gives the book a flying start on the other merchants if you've already got  reviews. Geoff, if you find it drop me a message either on here or kuf please? Cheers.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
davidhaynes said:
Ah right. I've read somewhere that you can only do it if your book has an ISBN too? I've used D2D not smashwords which doesn't need an ISBN. That probably means I won't be able to link up anyway.
I went directly through Kobo, and Kobo created an ISBN for my book automagically. Pretty darn cool.

I did use Draft to Digital to format the file, but they let you download the file and upload directly to each retailer if you want.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Nathan Elliott said:
You do not need an ISBN. I believe you simply add your book's Kobo id number to your book over at Goodreads. Then I think Kobo will find the reviews. Have never done it myself but read that it did not have to be by ISBN.
Oh, OK, yeah, it must have been the Kobo ID number. I just put that in Goodreads' spot for the ISBN 13, after I clicked on "add another edition" on my book's page on Goodreads.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Google and Sony do the same thing. Just create an edition on Goodreads corresponding to the number that you get from the vendor and the reviews will (usually) show up after some period of time.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
WilliamEsmont said:
Google and Sony do the same thing. Just create an edition on Goodreads corresponding to the number that you get from the vendor and the reviews will (usually) show up after some period of time.
Just make sure to 'combine editions' at Goodreads (a librarian can do this) so that the reviews/ratings will show up across all editions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts