Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -- I have had my Kindle 1 since December and use it about 1 hour per day.  I recharge the battery at the 1/4 used mark and I am having absolutely no problems.  I never have the Kindle connected to the Whispernet except for a download, and  as such, I was wondering just how long I could expect the battery to last before it needs replacing.  If I go to replace it, must it be a battery from Amazon (Kindle) or are there other options available to me.  Should I be ordering a spare at this point to have in case I need it?

Regards,  ZU

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Zorrosuncle said:
Greetings -- I have had my Kindle 1 since December and use it about 1 hour per day. I recharge the battery at the 1/4 used mark and I am having absolutely no problems. I never have the Kindle connected to the Whispernet except for a download, and as such, I was wondering just how long I could expect the battery to last before it needs replacing. If I go to replace it, must it be a battery from Amazon (Kindle) or are there other options available to me. Should I be ordering a spare at this point to have in case I need it?

Regards, ZU
The replacement batteries for K1 are back in stock at Amazon. You might want to grab one while they're available. They've been OOS for months now. I ordered one on Feb 7th and it's showing a delivery date for tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ruby296 said:
The replacement batteries for K1 are back in stock at Amazon. You might want to grab one while they're available. They've been OOS for months now. I ordered one on Feb 7th and it's showing a delivery date for tomorrow.
Good call. I think I'll go over and order one as well now that they are available. :) Just ordered mine. Glad I saw this thread.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Kathy said:
I ordered the battery last night and got a ship notice already. I'm glad I ordered it now.
Gee, that was fast! Did you get yours just for back-up? If so, how will you be storing it? I keep all my regular batteries in the fridge but not sure if I should do the same when mine comes today (hopefully). Does anyone know best storage practice for these batteries?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ruby296 said:
Gee, that was fast! Did you get yours just for back-up? If so, how will you be storing it? I keep all my regular batteries in the fridge but not sure if I should do the same when mine comes today (hopefully). Does anyone know best storage practice for these batteries?
I'm going to use it as backup. I travel from Florida to CA, AZ and CO a lot. Sometimes that means traveling as much as 12 hours. I'm forever getting stuck somewhere, especially during the winter months. The last time I went to San Jose, CA my battery was getting really low while I was in the air. The pages started turning slow, but I made it home. I am not sure how I will store it. I've always heard that they do better in cool dark places, but with the new technology I'm not sure if that holds true still. I'll google it and see what I can find.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
OK here is what I found about storing the battery.

Lithium Polymer Storage Guidelines

Store the cell in a dry location between –200C and 30oC. Keep out of direct sunlight.

When storing for an extended period, store between 10oC to 30oC

Store at 40% of capacity.

When charging the first time after long-term storage it may take several cycles to achieve original performance.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have had the same battery in  my K1 for almost  year, I charge at the 1/4 down mark, and do not have access to WN.  I do have backup batteries, in the fridge, but I would not panic about not having a back up if you only use your K1 for 1 hour a day, mine is 5+ hours a day on a slow day.  You do not have to have an Amazon battery either, but it is recommended (of course  ::) )  I also have the thingy that you put regular batteries in for emergency use.  Iwould get a back up battery, but liek I said, don't panic about it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My backup battery for K1 arrived today!  (In a HUGE box for a little-bittie battery box)  I think that I will change batteries and store the one I have been using for a bit to ensure that they new up is up to speed then I will periodically change them out keeping them in the fridge in between uses (and at 40% charged)

Thanks for the google search Kathy!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like a good plan. Did you get yours quicker than you thought? Mine is suppose to be here by Saturday. I am hoping that it does get here by then, I have a trip to Denver next week.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Kathy said:
OK here is what I found about storing the battery.

Lithium Polymer Storage Guidelines

Store the cell in a dry location between –200C and 30oC. Keep out of direct sunlight.

When storing for an extended period, store between 10oC to 30oC

Store at 40% of capacity.

When charging the first time after long-term storage it may take several cycles to achieve original performance.
Thanks for the information, Kathy. So does this mean that it shouldn't be in the fridge (is that considered a dry location)? And should I charge it up a bit before storing? How do I know when it's at 40% capacity? Sorry for so many questions!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ruby296 said:
Thanks for the information, Kathy. So does this mean that it shouldn't be in the fridge (is that considered a dry location)? And should I charge it up a bit before storing? How do I know when it's at 40% capacity? Sorry for so many questions!
It said that the fridge was ok. I would put it in a ziplock bag and put it in one of the crisper trays.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I ordered mine on Saturday, got a shipping notice *on Saturday* for Tuesday delivery (free 2-day with Amazon Prime), and got it today.
Man, once they get 'em in stock, they really ship 'em out quick!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I ordered mine on 3/23 and it's showing an estimated ship dated of 4/2.  I wonder why they're waiting with mine?  **sniffle, sniffle**  :'(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.