1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, the K1 does have some battery issues. It's quiet common but not every K1 has that problem. One of my K1's had that problem while the other seems to be fine.  ???

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
Ok so I was doing more research on the Kindle 1... Well I was shocked to see all bad reviews for the battery replacement... Everyone said that the battery would last 2-3 months and then go dead.... http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-1-Replacement-Battery/dp/B000I6P1UA/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=fiona-hardware&qid=1243481389&sr=8-20

I thought the battery would last a lot longer then 3 months, unless they are doing something wrong with their Kindles???

I find this puzzling... What are your thoughts?
I'm wondering how many of these people really had battery issues, and how many might have been experiencing indexing which was draining the battery quickly. I thought I was having issues with my battery a couple of months ago, but realized that it was my Kindle 1 indexing the items on my Kindle AND my SD card. When I took the SD card out - problem solved.

Like anything else, I'm sure there are batteries that are lemons. But if I hadn't done a bit of research and found that indexing a lot of books will drain the battery quickly I'd have been ordering a new battery (or at least calling Customer Service). As it is, I've had my K1 since August and the original battery is just fine.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My Kindle1 battery is now almost 18 months old, been used heavily, and still seems to work fine.  It may not hold a charge quite as long as it did originally, and it's obviously nowhere near as long as the Kindle2, but it's still good for several days per charge (whispernet off of course).

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
11 months.  No battery problems.  2 GB SD card in.  No indexing/draining problems.  When I first moved things to the card (last summer, and the card's been in continually since), I did leave it plugged in all night.  Well, I do most nights.  And I leave WN on pretty much all the time.  Even so, last week I didn't plug it in two nights in a row and by the end of the 3rd full day the battery was still at half.

Now, I did notice: while I was working this spring, my office had no cell phone coverage.  The battery would drain more than usual during the day there if I did not turn off the WN.  I noticed the same thing with my phone if I left it on.  So another reason for faster battery drain may be spotty/non-existent WN coverage.  If that's the case, you probably should leave WN OFF so that it doesn't keep checking for a signal.  Many would say leave it off anyway unless you intend to download something.

Remember, except for here :) people don't usually bother to go on line and say something is great; they go on line to say something is broken.  :D  So "everyone" might be 5 very annoyed people. . . .but the other 500/1000/5000 are content and quiet.

Also, for the 1st Gen Kindle, you can get a replacement if it really does go bad. . . . . .

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
7 months for my K1. I don't leave Whispernet on, I have a 16GB SD card, and 35 pages of books on my home page, so I think I officially have a lot of books, most of them on the SD card. The battery charges last several days most of the time, unless I leave Whispernet on.

Also, what Ann said. ;D
Remember, except for here :) people don't usually bother to go on line and say something is great; they go on line to say something is broken. :D So "everyone" might be 5 very annoyed people. . . .but the other 500/1000/5000 are content and quiet
Betsy

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am at about 6 months with my Kindle and no battery problems here. I do have a memory card in (4GB) and I leave WN off most of the time. I don't leave it plugged in but I never let it get below half. I do leave it plugged in for a couple days when I get new books. I probably turn on WN once a week to dl all the books I've ordered and on those nights I plug it in and leave it so it can index. I love my Kindle!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have K1 and K2. I've been using K2 more since I got it but I add whatever I add to K2 to K1 also. I kept K1 charged when I see battery is low. Last week, I saw my K1 was on but nothing on the screen a couple times. I charged full both times but the battery won't last a day. It was like there's a leak someplace... I was using 8GB SD card since I got my K1 last July but I needed 8GB card so I changed to 4GB a few days before. So I thought maybe that is why this is happening. I've changed my card to 2GB but same. I've changed to a new battery but same. I did the hard reset but same. I've tried everything I can think of but same.

I've changed back my battery to the original that was in and start reading new book with my K1 to see how long my battery will last. Well... it seems the battery is lasting not as before but more. I see slight battery drain in the end of the day. I charge my K1 full when I see the drain. This couple days, my K1 seems to be doing okay. I hope it stays like this.

I felt as if my K1 wanted my attention. I've been sort of neglecting my K1 since I got my K2 so my K1 got upset.  :(

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have had my K1 for one year this week! :)
Noticed recently that my battery isn't holding its charge as long.
But it is still good for 3-4 days with 1/2 charge left. (It used to go a week.)

*whispernet used only to download new books.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I do not have WN so don't even turn it on.  My first battery drained the first day I had it and would not recharge, I put another battery in and it has worked just fine for almost a year.  Probably my indexing is done on the computer as sometimes it takes awhile for it to eject when I get new books, don't notice any "indexing" at all on the K1.  I do have a couple of spare batteries and finally ended up putting them in the refrig since it appeared I wouldn't need them.

I have noticed the same thing Mom of 4, glad to know it's just not me.  I don't let it get below 1/2 before recharging, which takes maybe 30 minutes.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Shizu said:
No. I turn whispernet on only when I need to and turn off as soon as download is finish.
How old is your K1? Is it still under warranty? Even if it is not, call Amazon Customer Service and see if they can help you.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I've had my K 7 months and use it daily...I find the battery on my k lasts longer than any other electronic device I have. I only charge once a week and when I charge it still has over half a charge on it.  I have never noticed indexing and am not even sure I know exactly what that is.  I have over 5 pages of books,  don't use an SD card, and only turn on wn when I am buying a book.  I do have a battery backup  that I keep in the refrigerator...am knocking wood that I continue to have luck.  

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
ProfCrash said:
How old is your K1? Is it still under warranty? Even if it is not, call Amazon Customer Service and see if they can help you.
I got my K1 in July so about 11 months.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
So it is still under warranty. Call and talk to Customer Service. They can help you and if there is no answer for the battery drain, then they should send you  a new Kindle 1. But you want to get on it fast since the warranty runs out soon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts