Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post a picture of their oberon cover w/ velcro and kindle 1. I just want to see where the velcros are located on both the cover and the kindle. I decided to get the velcro instead of the four corners, but I just want to make sure before I order it. Thanks in advance.  ;D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Here is a picture.. now I was a beta tester so this is from the first ones made however they have also added a strip to the bottom as well... and they have the pockets now too... hope this helps

·
Registered
194 Posts
here's a youtbue video showing the oberon K1 velcro cover.

i recently converted my strap oberon to velcro and i like it but be aware it does add a tad more thickness to the closed cover since the kindle is slightly elevated above the back cover due to the velcro srtips rather than being flush against the back on the strap version. probably not enough to matter though.

kz

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Leslie also has some posts of her covers, and she has one with velcro.  You can look under members, type in her name, and go through her posts to find it.  Might be easier than looking through all of the accessories threads.
deb

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
kindle zen said:
here's a youtbue video showing the oberon K1 velcro cover.

i recently converted my strap oberon to velcro and i like it but be aware it does add a tad more thickness to the closed cover since the kindle is slightly elevated above the back cover due to the velcro srtips rather than being flush against the back on the strap version. probably not enough to matter though.

kz
Kindle Zen - What did you do with your straps in the conversion? I started a thread here a couple of weeks ago because I would like to convert my Oberon Forest to velcro and I got a few suggestions, but no one else had actually tried it. Do you have pictures? TIA

Chris

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the saddle Creek Bed Maple with velcro.  :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pomlover2586 said:
I like the floating look of the velcro ;D
How is it? Did you just stick the velcro on your kindle? Thanks. ;D

·
Registered
194 Posts

i did the nasty and removed the straps. to remove the two riveted straps i pried on the ends with a small pliers and the rivet just pulled through the hole in the leather without much effort and no damage to the leather. the stitched ends i cut with a scissors then used a toenail clipper to trim them close to the stitching. i didn't chance cutting the stitching itself since its also securing the entire inner flap.

i don't like the arrangement of the velcro strips that comes with the velcro oberon cover so i did mine as shown to provide additional and equal support for the top, middle and bottom of the kindle while keeping the 4x1 inch strips about a 1/2 inch away from any outer edge of the kindle. i attached the velcro strip (fuzzy side) over the kindle skin and did numerous test separations from the cover and determined there's no worry that the skin will get pulled off. the velcro halves separate well before there's a reasonable risk as long as you use common sense care.

as nice as the velcro attachment is it kind of flies in the face of my next project which is to replace the current kindle skin with one i designed myself which means velcro strips on my custom skin...oh well :'(

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
kindle zen said:
i did the nasty and removed the straps. to remove the two riveted straps i pried on the ends with a small pliers and the rivet just pulled through the hole in the leather without much effort and no damage to the leather. the stitched ends i cut with a scissors then used a toenail clipper to trim them close to the stitching. i didn't chance cutting the stitching itself since its also securing the entire inner flap.

i don't like the arrangement of the velcro strips that comes with the velcro oberon cover so i did mine as shown to provide additional and equal support for the top, middle and bottom of the kindle while keeping the 4x1 inch strips about a 1/2 inch away from any outer edge of the kindle. i attached the velcro strip (fuzzy side) over the kindle skin and did numerous test separations from the cover and determined there's no worry that the skin will get pulled off. the velcro halves separate well before there's a reasonable risk as long as you use common sense care.

as nice as the velcro attachment is it kind of flies in the face of my next project which is to replace the current kindle skin with one i designed myself which means velcro strips on my custom skin...oh well :'(
Thanks so much KZ! I am definitely doing this project this weekend. I got a good laugh that you "did the nasty" to remove the straps, that was my first inclination, but in the all the wonderful advice I got folks were worried this would ruin the Oberon. It is good to know you are still happy with it although I do think I will stay closer to the Oberon placement of the velcro pieces and I, too, will also be attaching velcro to the back of a custom skin! I can't wait to not have the straps across the front of the skin.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libros_lego said:
Can someone post a picture of their oberon cover w/ velcro and kindle 1. I just want to see where the velcros are located on both the cover and the kindle. I decided to get the velcro instead of the four corners, but I just want to make sure before I order it. Thanks in advance. ;D
Here's the back of my Kindle:

and in the cover (same Kindle, different skin):

This is a K2 cover with velcro, but on the K1 cover, the pieces are in the same place:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Leslie!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts