Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have used but don't own a Kindle - waited for the 2nd generation.  Well, its here and I have my doubts and thought I would ask you guys. 

My concern is that the new Kindle has no SD slot, and the user cannot replace the battery.  My concern is based on experience; my digital camera would be useless without an SD slot, and nothing but horror stories with the Garmin Nuvi not having user exchangeable batteries.

My idea of using a digital reader with an SD disk is to save articles and books from any source to the SD or my computer, and read them at my convenience on any digital reader.  My lifestyle is to read enroute and if there was an article that I had to read by the time I got there I don't believe that I would chance it.  I haven't found any electronics that had a better than 25% of the advertised battery life.

I would appreciate user experience.  Thanks

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
My idea of using a digital reader with an SD disk is to save articles and books from any source to the SD or my computer, and read them at my convenience on any digital reader. My lifestyle is to read enroute and if there was an article that I had to read by the time I got there I don't believe that I would chance it.
I have a K1 and like having the SD card, but I don't see where the lack of one would affect the convenience factor. You can hook the Kindle up via USB so that it looks like an external hard drive, just as an SD card would, and you can put files on the Kindle to have accessible. Bigger issue is the idea of "articles and books from any source" as not all formats are readable on the Kindle, and Kindle files in the AZW format are not readable anywhere else, they must be read on the Kindle.

I haven't found any electronics that had a better than 25% of the advertised battery life.

I would appreciate user experience. Thanks
I'm not excited by the lack of user replaceable battery on the K2 either, though my battery has plenty of life, hours and hours of use, if Whispernet is turned off.

Betsy

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Just because they say the battery is not user-replaceable does not make it so. I replaced the battery on my old iPod with very little difficulty. It's just a matter of buying the battery and prying the back cover off. The battery is easily removed after that.

As for moving content back and forth on SD cards, cards are becoming obsolete. There are plenty of software options for moving non-DRMd content back and forth onto different devices. Kindle ebooks can now be downloaded to your iPhone or iPod Touch, and a Blackberry version should be coming soon. Otherwise, since they are DRMd, you can't put them on other devices anyway.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I too thought the lack of an SD card would be a problem.  But after seeing my mom's K2 and playing around with it, I like the way everything is archived.  And I keep any non-Amazon books on my computer anyway.  So I have changed my mind about the SD card issue. 
I still like my K1 though.
deb

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've had both the K1 and now the K2, and honestly, I don't really miss the SD slot. I can just store ebooks on my computer and transfer them to the K2 as necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts