Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been tracking the availability of Kindle refurbs - and have the link displayed in the main menu in our header.

Is there still an interest in that? Refurbs for Kindle 1 are generally available these days, for $299. It seems that, for most people, they'd spend the additional $50 to get a new Kindle 2 as opposed to a refurbed K1.

I'm thinking we can take out that line in our main menu. But wanted to post this first to get feedback on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think it needs to be in the header where it is now. Still keep it around somewhere, in its own thread perhaps, because there will always be someone who is interested in it (I prefer the K1 over the K2 and would have bought a refurb from Amazon if I was able, so there's your interest right there) but definitely take it out of the menu area which I think is a wee bit cluttered.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you want the credit or whatever you get from someone clicking the link and buying. It's easy to find with an Amazon search so it's not like we can't find it there.

A

·
0 Posts
I think it's a good idea to keep it too. A lot of people are wary of the K2 because of the large amount of complaints about the screen.

I'd love to see a pic of the K1 added to the one of the K2 in the list header too. Us K1 owners are people too! :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
I think it's a good idea to keep it too. A lot of people are wary of the K2 because of the large amount of complaints about the screen.

I'd love to see a pic of the K1 added to the one of the K2 in the list header too. Us K1 owners are people too! :)
what she said :D

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
There is still interest in the KK, so the refurb link should be easy to find.  However, it WOULD be nice to see the header streamlined a little bit.  When I browse on my netbook, I spend a lot of time scrolling on each page because I don't know any way to get the header smaller.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Uh, Harvey. . . .should this thread maybe be down in the Forum Suggestions section?

;D

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ Hmm, probably! (What, I'm not allowed to break my own rules??)

Here's another option: how about if we simply add a menu option "Refurbs" after the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX links in our main menu line. That would give an easy click to check the refurb availability status - and tighten up some of the clutter in our header.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Harvey said:
^ Hmm, probably! (What, I'm not allowed to break my own rules??)
Sure thing! . . . . . . . . which is why I didn't move it. :D

I think, apropos of the topic at hand, that it is good to keep the refurb link somewhere in the heading but not necessarily separately and prominently like it was when that was the only way to get a Kindle at all.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a little adjusting in the main header area, which I think makes better use of our real estate up there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Perhaps put the affiliate links on a line to itself. Most people won't use a screen res wide enough to show it on a single line next to the main menu links, so it will effectively 'break' and drop down on to a new line. That's mostly what's making the main menu look a little chaotic to me. The bottom right side would be a good place for it as there's nothing there, and it will have room to 'grow' if/when you get new affiliates.

While we're on the topic, what is the small white rectangle underneath the main navigation? Looks like a broken div or table cell or something (haven't checked the page source). It's visible on both Safari and Firefox in OSX for me. Maybe take a look at it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts