Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I like them both the same.

Votes: 17 25.4%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this goes along with the other question about whether there are any downsides to the Kindle 2. 

Let me start off by saying that I am not trying to start a "Kindle war" by posting this poll.  I am simply trying to get an idea of where people stand as far as the Kindles are concerned.  This poll is in no way implying that either of the Kindles are bad; I am just trying to see which one everyone is more pleased with overall. 

This poll is really only applicable to those who have both Kindles (or who have at least used both). 

As the question asks, now that you have used both, which do you prefer?

If you will, please post information as to why you prefer the one you do.  What makes it stand out more?  What makes it "better" (for lack of a better word)? 

Also, do you think it is worth it to purchase a Kindle 2 if you have a Kindle 1?  I ask this because I have seen a few people say that the Kindle 2 doesn't seem to really be an upgrade as much as just a different version, in a way.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think you need a choice for "I like them both the same" because after one week, that is how I am feeling.

L

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leslie said:
I think you need a choice for "I like them both the same" because after one week, that is how I am feeling.

L
Done.

I do hope that more people will speak out, though. I would think that there would be something about one that would make a person lean toward it more. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hmmm, I don't own one but I have used the K2. I probably would have to go with K2

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I didn't vote because I have not held a K2 yet. I have had my K1 for nine months and LOVE it.

My only two wish items: better organization/folders and adjustable speed for auto page turns without having to change font size. Though, if not addressed: I am still just as thrilled with Kindle now, as the day I got it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I like the both the same. I love my k1. I love K2's 16 shades of grey, but the thing that is getting to be about k2....we don't know if we can change the screensavers yet. Once we can put our own screensavers on it I'd serious think about a k2...well more than I do now lol

i love dressing up my K.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I find that I like the K2 better and it surprises me because I loved my K1.  I really like the navigation joystick and the faster page turns, the lightweight thinness and the text to speech.  What I miss about my K1 (but not enough to go back) is the chunky cuteness and the long page turn buttons.  It was sure nice to have many options on how I held K1.

I am waiting for my covers, and when Baxter feels and looks more like a book, I think I will be even happier.  All in all, you can't go wrong with either one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This one was tough.  I feel kinda disloyal to my K1 for picking the K2.

Things I like about the K2...
The 5-way controller opens nice options in functionality with the browser (way fewer clicks to log in on sites like yahoo mail and facebook) and dictionary/look up functions. It's much easier to correct a mistake than using the alt-h/j to move right and left.  And navigation within newspapers (I downloaded the NYTimes Sunday) is really nice compared to the K1
The browser itself seems faster (speedwise) and it's definitely easier to use...entering urls, filling in blanks
The size...ahhh, yes, it's sleek and slim
How when you want to go to the store or to the browser and WN isn't on, it politely asks if you want to turn it on
Mostly I like the symbol access, though I miss the alt-whatever shortcuts for punctuation marks
The slick USB/charger combo
On the whole, I like the new page turn/home/etc keys
The preview in the background of text size changes

Things I don't like so much
I don't like the new keyboard.  I have more difficulty pressing those little domes than the little wedgies.
I don't like the decreased text contrast/readability.  It is primarily a text-reading device after all.  I compared K1 and K2 side by side with the same book....and you can tell the difference.  My K2 screen is grayer....and the text is lighter
Ugh...the self perpetuating Dictionary reference on the home page.

Things I miss...the GPS function.  That must have disappeared from the K1 with the software update because we needed it when we got lost last week trying to find a conference center...and it wasn't there.

A comment about TTS.  I work in traditional book publishing and taught at a writers conference last week.  In fact, I had my K2 delivered to the conference center.  We played around some with this function.  I like the male voice better than the female.  In non-fiction, TTS sounds OK, in fact better than I expected...enough to make my publisher side sit up and take notice.  But try it with a novel...even better a romance...and you immediately see some limitations. Somehow tossing her silky chestnut hair over her shoulder just doesn't work quite so well with this voice.

Well, probably more than you wanted to know.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems like it would have been nice, if the page turning buttons had been left longer. But with this new change of turning from the center of the buttons, instead of the edge.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I like them both, but differently; not the same.

K1
I like the big buttons. I tend to hold it differently depending on where I am and the bigger buttons accommodate me better.
Like the scroll wheel.  (But that may be just b/c that's what I am used to.)

K2
Everything is faster, (page turns, searches)
Searching is simpler

For what I use my kindle for, (reading ONLY) these were the only notable things.
And as the ease of page turns is a really big deal, I am keeping my K1 and sold K2 to a friend. (easier than returning it.)

I really liked the K2, but the differences are not enough for the cost to upgrade.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Things I like about the K2:

-The 5-way controller and in fact all navigation in general is much better.
-The new archive system is a great improvement.  I always used to keep all my books on the kindle, even ones I'd read, because retrieving old ones was too much trouble.  Now it's simple to review/retrieve them and I've started allowing Amazon to keep them for me.
-The new size is great - I find it much easier to hold and use for long periods.
-Faster page turns!  I'm a fast reader, and always had to *lead* the pages by clicking next about 3 lines before I reached the bottom.  I can definitely notice the difference.
-The new *slide* power switch is easy to use and the top location is much easier to reach
-The inward slanting page buttons are great!  You can hold your hand right on the button and not push it accidentally.  No more moving your fingers/thumb back and forth to turn pages.
-"How when you want to go to the store or to the browser and WN isn't on, it politely asks if you want to turn it on" - definitely nice!
-The *see description* feature is nice!  I always missed being able to read the back of my books on the KK.
-The hover dictionary is a lot nicer than the old look-up feature.
-I love the redesigned search - simple navigation to choose where you want to search, and the results seem faster.
-The Web browser is easier to use, and I love the ability to save sites.
-I actually find the fonts cleaner and easier to read.  If there's a difference in the contrast it's not enough for me to notice.

Things I don't like/preferred on KK:

-I don't like the new keyboard.  Not sure if it's the button design or the closer layout but it's definitely tougher to type on.
-The shorter length next page/previous page buttons.  This does somewhat limit how you can hold the kindle while you're reading.  With the inward click it seems these could be longer and still eliminate the accidental click problem.
-Yes, I'd still like an SD card and a customer replaceable battery.  I don't miss them as much as I thought I would though, and the new slimmer/sleeker design is worth living without them.
-Miss the Alt+T time.  While bringing the menu up/down with one click is actually probably easier, I loved the script version of the time.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I really prefer the new one, and am leaning towards selling the original one.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the votes and information. 

I find it interesting that 13 people have voted that they prefer the K1, but none of those people seem to be speaking up, as I keep hearing everyone say they overall prefer the K2.  I'm really interested in knowing why those who chose the K1 did so.  You won't be flogged here for speaking up, we promise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mwvickers said:
I find it interesting that 13 people have voted that they prefer the K1, but none of those people seem to be speaking up, as I keep hearing everyone say they overall prefer the K2. I'm really interested in knowing why those who chose the K1 did so. You won't be flogged here for speaking up, we promise.
As long as you promise....It came down to readability for me. I like everything else about the K2 (I thought it was a nice upgrade) except that I enjoy the visual reading experience on my K1 better, and for me, that overrode all other features. Since one of the two K2's I've seen was an okay reading experience, I've thought about ordering one, one of these days, and see if it will have an acceptable screen contrast for my eyes. But it's not a burning desire, and until then, my eyes and I are both very happy with my K1.

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
For me it all comes down to wireless capability.
I liked the KK just fine, but I could not use it wirelessly where I live and had to download everything and sync it over the computer.  I didn't like the big easily pushed buttons at first, but got used to them.  I liked the expansion card availability and the replaceable battery.

All told though, I like the K2 better, quicker, word look up much easier, (and now wikipedia an option for me!), smaller size.  It's easier to hold without turning a page and I honestly don't know what all the talk about differing contrasts is about as they seem the same to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts