Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Kindle 2 Cookbook gives a nice mention to KindleBoards and Leslie -  the author writes:  "one of the most popular forums on the internet for Kindle users, thanks to popular moderator, Leslie Nicoll.  Check it out!" 

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
OK so do we really need to spend 4 bucks on a kindle cookbook? I am a regular user......I have no intentions of doing any of the fancier stuff on my K2......so do I need one? What will it show me that is worth 4 bucks?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, No, I only got it because I had the original Kindle Cookbook for my K1.  There was a note in the Amazon Forums from the author, that if you had the first one, you could get the update to K2 Cookbook for free.  It took a call to Customer Service to make it work, but I did finally get it.  Other than some shortcuts (most of which are listed here) there's not much that's new.
I was hoping for a way to do custom screensavers, but no luck.
I only mentioned it here because he mentions Kindleboards and Leslie...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ah OK well thanks for letting us know! I just don't want to spend my hard earned coinstar gift card on a K2 cookbook when I can put it toward other good reading material. Of course if the K2 cookbook was necessary I'd buy it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to go back to see if I really used the word "popular" twice in the same sentence.  Yes--I did.  This is the hazard of editing your own material.  Anyway, I meant it!

Regards,

David Emberson
www.kindlecookbook.com

·
Registered
121 Posts
pomlover2586 said:
OK so do we really need to spend 4 bucks on a kindle cookbook? I am a regular user......I have no intentions of doing any of the fancier stuff on my K2......so do I need one? What will it show me that is worth 4 bucks?
I would personally save the money and use the allrecipes link in the kindle browser!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dre95060 said:
I had to go back to see if I really used the word "popular" twice in the same sentence. Yes--I did. This is the hazard of editing your own material. Anyway, I meant it!

Regards,

David Emberson
www.kindlecookbook.com
David,
Didn't want to dissuade anyone from buying the book (above), I'd just hoped for more info that I couldn't get here. I do think for a non Kindleboards user, there is a lot of info in there!

On another note, I was the one who posted on the Amazon Forum about not being able to download the book. After you'd responded, I called Amazon CS again, and Again I was told that all of Kindle Customer Service received instructions NOT to credit customers for the original cookbook price so that they could download the K2 cookbook. They told me their policy was 7 days for a refund.....
I told them I would have been happy to pay the $3.99 to purchase the new k2 cookbook, I didn't mind paying again, but when I went to do that with one click, I got a message saying that I'd already purchased in and it was in my library. However the one in my library was the new title with the old content....After telling me I was doing something wrong, CS tried themselves to do it. They got the same response. After much negotiation, they did finally credit me for the first book, then had me "repurchase" the new one.
Just wanted to let you know. There may be others out there running into the same glitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Kindle Cookbook was the FIRST book I bought when I got my K1, and was a GREAT investment. I really liked that how to do everything was laid out in simple steps that I could follow (like recipes in a cookbook!), and didn't assume that I already knew anything with my Kindle. Later on, when I was ready to be a bit more adventuresome, the book had steps for that, too!

I also went through the hassle of convincing Amazon Customer Service to refund the older edition so that I could purchase & download the new Kindle 2 Cookbook. It is nice to have, but I wish that David Emberson had magically "cracked" the mystery of how to put my own screensavers on my Kindle 2!

Here's the link to the Kindle 2 Cookbook, with a list of the contents.

If you have the older (K1) version of the book, the information on how to get the K2 version is in the "This Product's Forum" near the bottom of the page under "The All New Kindle 2 Cookbook Is Here!"

No, I don't know the author - just really like the book! (I wonder if David Emberson looks like the wizard on the cover of the book...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I apologize to all of you who bought the previous edition and have had to go through Amazon Customer Service to get the latest edition.  There is a known bug in the Amazon Digital Library.  If you have any notes, bookmarks or highlighted text, the ADL permanently ties you to a specific edition of a book and you cannot download a later edition from the Manage Your Kindle page.  I reported this last November and they still have not done anything about it.  I could have published the newly revised book with a new ASIN, but then no one would get a free upgrade.  Apparently the Customer Service people have been given a "Kindle Cookbook" policy script due to the high number of calls.  I am hoping that my little bit of troublemaking will motivate them to fix this defect in ADL, as being able to instantly get the latest edition of a book is one of the great advantages of a digital text.  (And don't even get me started on the myriad bugs in the Digital Text Platform!)

Regarding screensavers, my policy is not to include recipes that are irreversible, illegal or have the capability to do damage to the Kindle.  The K1 screensaver trick fell into the category of "irreversible" and possibly even damaging--although perhaps someone has figured out how to reverse it by now.  My readers, in general, are not technical people.  So I don't want to give them the rope to hang themselves.  At present I do not know of a way to change the K2 screensavers, although I expect someone will figure it out soon.

Whether the book is worth $4 to you or not obviously depends on your level of knowledge and also how you use your Kindle.  I feel very fortunate that the book has been as successful as it has been (#16 as of this moment!  And I finally passed that vampire lady!).

Regards,

David Emberson
www.kindlecookbook.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, I forgot one thing. If you have a K1, do not buy the K2 book. The K1 edition is being republished under a new ASIN at Amazon. It has not yet gone live. I will post a notice when it becomes available.

Regards,

David Emberson
www.kindlecookbook.com

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
dre95060 said:
Oh, I forgot one thing. If you have a K1, do not buy the K2 book. The K1 edition is being republished under a new ASIN at Amazon. It has not yet gone live. I will post a notice when it becomes available.
That kind of sucks for the people who already bought the K1 edition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you already have the K1 edition, you shouldn't need to buy it again.  However, I am considering going back and putting the MacIntosh stuff into the K1 edition so this could become an issue in the near future.

Unfortunately there isn't a great answer that solves the problem for everyone.  But K1 users are now the minority of new Kindle owners.  By publishing the K2 book under the original ASIN, it went live in about 30 minutes.  As you can see, the new ASIN still has not gone live after 48 hours.  So I think I made the right decision for the majority of people.

Regards,

David Emberson
www.kindlecookbook.com

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anniehow said:
I have version 1, how do I download Version 2 for free?
Um, I may need the opposite advice - I have the K1, and hearing about the K2 book, I went to my amazon.com account, and it listed the "Kindle 2 Cookbook," so I had it download to my K1 (thinking I'd now have both versions) - the 1st edition is now gone, but it downloaded a "new" "Kindle 2 Cookbook."

How do I retrieve the 1st edition? (no longer listed under my account)

edit: Although the "new" download's title is The Kindle 2 Cookbook...," its copyrighted 2008 (and the photo of the Amazon page says 2009) and is call "Revised Third Edition" - do I still have the "old" version, applicable to my K1?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
^^ Well, it seems that r0b0d0c, for one, has been screwed over.

dre95060 said:
If you already have the K1 edition, you shouldn't need to buy it again. However, I am considering going back and putting the MacIntosh stuff into the K1 edition so this could become an issue in the near future.

Unfortunately there isn't a great answer that solves the problem for everyone. But K1 users are now the minority of new Kindle owners. By publishing the K2 book under the original ASIN, it went live in about 30 minutes. As you can see, the new ASIN still has not gone live after 48 hours. So I think I made the right decision for the majority of people.
It's just untrue that K1 users are now a minority. You seriously think that amazon has shipped 200,000+ K2s in the last week?

·
Registered
501 Posts
marianner said:
^^ Well, it seems that r0b0d0c, for one, has been screwed over.

It's just untrue that K1 users are now a minority. You seriously think that amazon has shipped 200,000+ K2s in the last week?
Actually, Amazon sold an estimated 500,000 Kindle 1s, so I think it may take a bit longer for us to be an insignificant group of Kindle owners!

·
Registered
501 Posts
And, reading through my "Kindle 2 Cookbook..." it appears to be the "old" version, incorrectly titled, since it has a chapter on "Computers and SD Cards," which wouldn't apply to K2 ... ???

·
Registered
723 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
Actually, Amazon sold an estimated 500,000 Kindle 1s, so I think it may take a bit longer for us to be an insignificant group of Kindle owners!
200,000 500,000 where are these numbers coming from.
Amazon is a privately held company.
They don't have to say anything and I have never heard of anything expcpet.

I heard from someone that heard etc...

Any of these numbers have any factual/reality behind them?

Eric

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think he may mean a minority of people who are new users buying his cookbook right now. The K1 users presumably already bought his book; and the K2 users are buying the book as first timers more now, with some new K1 users in the mix.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts