Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I thought it would be good to have one place to go to post and read about any of the
the cool new things people figure out about the K2s.

On another thread it was found by hitting Alt shift 1-9 you can change the spacing and number of lines per page!
Very handy!

Any other finds!?!

Alt-shift- n was also mentioned but not sure what that does?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Press "menu" and on the top line, it will show the time (centered) and on the left, it will show the space available on your Kindle in MB.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alt- B still adds a bookmark just be careful not to hit the shift key or you will bring up the search. I actually do find the shift key placement awkward and difficult to press.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Actually, if you press any letter on the keyboard, it will bring up the search. This is a change from K1 -- the keyboard is not "dead" when you are reading.

If you bring up the search accidentally by pressing a key (which I am finding I am doing, sort of annoying) pressing "back" will close the search.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:
Actually, if you press any letter on the keyboard, it will bring up the search. This is a change from K1 -- the keyboard is not "dead" when you are reading.

If you bring up the search accidentally by pressing a key (which I am finding I am doing, sort of annoying) pressing "back" will close the search.

L
I have done that too, good tip!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
If you are listening to something with the text-to-speech feature, you can pause the reading by pressing the space bar.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Not sure how many books support this, but on "Dewey" - you can press the 5-way to the right and it moves from chapter to chapter.

If you accidentally open the search bar, you can simply move the 5-way up and it goes away.

Also, I've seen a few people mention the @ searches being harder as the @ symbol is hidden now. You don't need them anymore. Type the word or title or whatever you want to search, then move the cursor to the right two times and choose your search - google, wikipedia, content, etc. very smooth!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Not sure how many books support this, but on "Dewey" - you can press the 5-way to the right and it moves from chapter to chapter.
This doesn't work on the book I am reading, which has chapters.

If you accidentally open the search bar, you can simply move the 5-way up and it goes away.
You can also move the 5-way down and it will go away, but it doesn't work if you move the 5-way to the left or right.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Leslie said:
This doesn't work on the book I am reading, which has chapters.

L
Yeh - I have only found it on "Dewey" so far. Not sure why it is only on that one.

Also - the font selection is immediate. When you move the cursor from font size to font size it changes it in the background so you can 'preview' it.

Also the web browser is much improved. You just start typing and it defaults to the url. also when I was reading on article on USA today online, it defaulted to putting the cursor on the 'next page' hot link when it came on screen. It also doesn't hide the lines as it changes pages. Often a line would be lost in the page change. You are also able to just scroll down or up to change pages. Very nice web browser now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
When you're on the home page and you go to the book you want, move the 5-way to the right and it will bring up a new page that shows the complete title, a picture of the cover, and several options depending on whether it's a sample or purchased book (it also works for other downloaded books, you just don't get the picture):

Buy this book now (for samples)
Go to last page read
Go to beginning
Go to location
Book Description
Search this Sample or Search this Book
Delete this sample or Remove from Device
My Notes & Marks (For purchased books)

When you're done just click back or push the 5 way to the left
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
If you are at the home screen and select a book and move the 5-way to the LEFT, it gives you the option to remove the book. Just press the 5-way and poof! It's gone. I actually haven't figured out if I like this feature or not, because it almost makes it too easy to remove a book. This will take a little bit of getting used to, I think.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
I haven't found any new tech tips per se, but I love
new deletion on home screen
the internet link finger pointing hand
immediate definition on words
Content Manager on Home screen - and the 'category' you're in on home screen too
%-age of book read vs just the dots

I am loving the overall feel and way it works.

For those of you (like me) who didn't order the Amazon cover and are waiting for delivery of 'alternate coverage', the Kroo reversible sleeve for the K1 fits the K2.  I'm using it while I'm waiting for my m-edge.  Thank goodness, my new baby was nekkid and cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Leslie said:
If you are at the home screen and select a book and move the 5-way to the LEFT, it gives you the option to remove the book. Just press the 5-way and poof! It's gone. I actually haven't figured out if I like this feature or not, because it almost makes it too easy to remove a book. This will take a little bit of getting used to, I think.

L
There is no caution asking if you are sure you want to remove it before it actually does it? I think the K1 does that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
mwvickers said:
There is no caution asking if you are sure you want to remove it before it actually does it? I think the K1 does that.
It asks for confirmation before deleting. Actually, this is one of the things that I love on K2. I hate 'extra' clicks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Jesslyn said:
It asks for confirmation before deleting. Actually, this is one of the things that I love on K2. I hate 'extra' clicks
I'm confused. It sounds as if you said that it does ask for confirmation, but then you say that you hate extra clicks, which makes it sound like it does not ask for confirmation.

I'm having my fourth Monday this week, apparently. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
mwvickers said:
I'm confused. It sounds as if you said that it does ask for confirmation, but then you say that you hate extra clicks, which makes it sound like it does not ask for confirmation.

I'm having my fourth Monday this week, apparently. LOL
Its me....

I hated the extra clicks required on the K1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I love the fact that the default is the WhisperSync on and it automatically synchronizes what you are reading across your Kindles.  Way cool for those of of us with 2 Kindles.  You will need to turn it off if you have multiple people reading the same book on multiple Kindles on one account. :)

Love the delete feature.  You move the five way left it asks if you want to delete and when you click it is gone.
 
1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Top