Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Amazon board in a thread called "If I order a Kindle and they release a new one will I get an old model or a new one?" I found the following comment:

Sandra Olinger says:
actually there is a kindle 2 coming on feb 9th. The truth of the matter is if you order the kindle, amazon will ask you if you want to upgrade to the kindle 2. I have ordered 5 units for friends and family some in december and 1 in january. Amazon contacted me to tell me I had a option to pay 30.00 dollars more to do the upgrade to the kindle 2. This is fact not fiction or rumour folks.

I would think more people would be posting if this were the case. I know I haven't gotten any such email and I ordered in December.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I doubt that she was contacted by Amazon. Most of the folks who have called Amazon have been told that the customer service department does not know if K2 is going to be released. There have been comments that sure sounded like customer service was telling people to hold their place in line and they would be taken care of but no one here has been told what was being announced at the press conference.

Which makes me think that the poster in question is not being honest. I have difficulty believing that Amazon contacted her. I have even more difficulty believing that Amazon told her that two versions of the Kindle were being released. And I have problems believing that they saud anything to her about upgrading.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
lol, really?  I just doubted that she had ordered 5.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The line "This is fact not fiction or rumour folks." pretty much confirms for me that it is indeed fiction.

I can hardly wait until Feb.10 arrives so we can get past all this speculation. 

To be honest, if Amazon leaves me waiting for weeks and weeks to get a fairly high priced product (high priced for my budget anyway), and then suggests I pay even more to get the product I have waited for, I will probably be annoyed.  So for now I choose to speculate that the very least they won't want to annoy me  :) 

·
Registered
326 Posts
It has to be a lie. How could Amazon expect anybody to choose V2 over V1 when they wont tell them anything about it. If all the rumors are true about V2 i for one wouldnt want one.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
heheh I love how the price on the K2 has been $389 ($30 to upgrade) and as low as $250.

Say what you will, Amazon's marketing people know their job. I doubt they need to announce the press conference two weeks in advance. They knew what all of us would be dping. Here is hoping that the actually announcement matches the speculation.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I agree.  Why would they insist on being so coy with the press while telling customers they will get an upgrade?  While you can't always avoid sheer stupidity, that seems a little extreme.  At the least, they will probably be sending emails, on the day of the announcement or shortly after.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Personally, I am still not convinced that they will be announcing version 2 at the press conference. Maybe I will be eating my words in 5 days but nothing I have read has completely persuaded me. I have read blogs that announce version 2 as if it is the Gospel truth, but Amazon hasn't said a word. I cannot believe how much fabrication is floating around about this issue.

I think one of my favorites was this blog entry where he parsed the response from CS to mean, for a fact, that version 2 is coming out. Sorry if I am to down to earth but where I come from "I suspect you will be happy" does not translate into "Kindle version 2 is being released" no matter what language you speak! LOL

http://kindlehomepage.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-amazon-customer-service-has-to-say.html

L

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am not convinced that they will announce K2 but I would be surprised if they didn't. I am not sure that makes sense...

There is a possibility that they could be announcing something else. I guess I want them to announce K2, just to get it over with at this point in time. I am curious as to what they are doing with K2 and am a bit sick of the speculation about when K2 is coming and what it is going to look like and what features it will have. Yes, I know I could stop posting about it. I want them to put me out of my misery.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:
Personally, I am still not convinced that they will be announcing version 2 at the press conference. Maybe I will be eating my words in 5 days but nothing I have read has completely persuaded me. I have read blogs that announce version 2 as if it is the Gospel truth, but Amazon hasn't said a word. I cannot believe how much fabrication is floating around about this issue.
L
I'm with you on this, Leslie. A lot of us haven't even gotten the upgrade from 1.0.8. I would think they would be rolling that out to everyone before releasing V2.

Not to be a pessimist, but the announcement may not even be directly about Kindle. They might be announcing new deals with major publishers regarding Kindle books. That would excite me much more than K-2.

As long as the announcement has nothing to do with Amazon going under, I'm not going to get in a dither about it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
ha ha ha,  Sandra Olinger must be such a special and important person to be offered a product that hasn't even been announced  :)

And since most product is announced some time before it is actually available for release, she must be really special.

I'm with everyone else, I'm tired of the speculation.  I was months ago.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Leslie said:

I think one of my favorites was this blog entry where he parsed the response from CS to mean, for a fact, that version 2 is coming out. Sorry if I am to down to earth but where I come from "I suspect you will be happy" does not translate into "Kindle version 2 is being released" no matter what language you speak! LOL

http://kindlehomepage.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-amazon-customer-service-has-to-say.html

L
I'll agree, I've said all along it could be something else entirely. Just because it's at a library doesn't mean it about the Kindle. As of the upgrade offer that has to be bogus, I can't imagine Amazon tipping their hand to people this early.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
lol, really? I just doubted that she had ordered 5.
LOL. Me too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This post was made by a certain Sandra Olinger on the Amazon Kindle customer discussion forums on Feb 3:

the new kindle 2 is not less than the kindle 1, also they will send you an email to upgrade your kindle to the new version for a 30.00 dollar fee per unit. I know I just did it, amazon sent me notification and offered me the option. The new version 2 will be released on the 9th, orders should be fulfilled in the coming weeks.
Then later, in another thread, Sandra Olinger posted this:

actually there is a kindle 2 coming on feb 9th. The truth of the matter is if you order the kindle, amazon will ask you if you want to upgrade to the kindle 2. I have ordered 5 units for friends and family some in december and 1 in january. Amazon contacted me to tell me I had a option to pay 30.00 dollars more to do the upgrade to the kindle 2. This is fact not fiction or rumour folks.
And then this:

I don't know. All I know is I made the transaction and spoke with CS at amazon and they confirmed the email.
http://www.amazon.com/order-Kindle-release-model-one/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/Tx11COCT6G6M4TX/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000FI73MA

After Sandra made this post, a few people contacted Amazon via e-mail and telephoned Amazon customer services, all of them got basically the same reply -- We cant confirm or deny that we are sending Kindle upgrade e-mails but in any event, don't cancel your Kindle order, come Feb 9 you will be "happy".

Is this a de-facto admission my Amazon that on Feb 9 they will announce Kindle v2?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi -

I've been thinking that v2 was a hoax.  Yet now that I've witnessed the dearth of deliveries for v1 this last month and all these "can neither confirm nor deny" CS messages that have been given I am becoming convinced that something will be unveiled.  Whether its the alleged v2 picture that's been posted or something else, Monday's conference will provide the answer.

I do think that if I were one of those people waiting for a Kindle, I'd be PO'd about having to make a decision for a known item (v1) for an unknown item (v2).  I guess if the details of v2 fulfilled my dreams, I'd go for it.

I'm doing just fine with v1 and am not going to upgrade unless there is some sort software upgrade being offered.

My two cents,

Marci

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't believe February 9th is about the Kindle at all.  I have no reason for that statement other than a "feeling".  If I'm wrong (and let's face it, I have a 50/50 chance of that) I'll be highly torqued.  I haven't even received V1 yet.  The impression I've gotten is that most who have V1 would not trade up to V2 without significant improvements.  How is someone who has never even held a Kindle before supposed to make the choice between V1 and V2?  My other concern, in the event I am wrong about the announcement, is whether (and for how long) will they continue to support V1 once V2 is on the market?

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
For them to be sending 'you have a choice' e-mails now makes no sense, I agree. But it is very possible that once an announcement is made about some different version of kindle. . .if it is indeed made. . .that they would contact all those who have already ordered with info about the new version(s) available as well as pricing and request that they contact Amazon if they want to change the order.  No one has a shipping date before the end of February, I think, so there would be time.  I've gotten this sort of message from amazon before when I ordered something that went out of stock.  It usually said something like, it'll be back in stock by x date, if you want to cancel the order let us know, otherwise it'll ship by y date.

But I don't really care. . . I have a Kindle.  :)  My interest in the Feb 9 announcement is purely academic.

Ann

1 - 20 of 105 Posts