Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the one or two posts about:  the saving the page being sporatic and the scrolling being a bit slow on the 5way...any other dislikes or complaints??  Just curious...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the back button and menu button should be reversed. Intuitively I reach for the menu button when I am trying to go back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Having tried out my wife's, I can name a few.  The button construction make them very annoying to use for just about every position I use, and no easy 'tap' from the side.  I hate, and I mean deep, seething hate, the selector display -- bring back the silver eInk so I know where it is if I take my eyes off the screen for three seconds.  And the speed of the 5-way is terrible

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Well, I think the page saving is a book formating issue, not a Kindle issue.

I dislike that I still do not have folders. If we're going to have the ability to hold 1500 books, they need to give us a better way to organize them. Granted this was a problem on the K1, but it's an issue.

I also dislike that they took away my ability for screensavers and some of the shortcuts. This has really irritated me..although not enough to go back to the K1.

I personally don't care for the Text-to-Speech option. Then again, I've been listening to audiobooks for years and am used to having real people read them to me.

I'm warming up to the keyboard though.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I don't like the fact that the keyboard is "live" while you are reading. I am always bringing up the search box because I have randomly pressed a letter key. Very annoying.

L

·
Registered
377 Posts
I didn't have a K1, but I can say that after a week of use I am absolutely in love with my K2.  No complaints at all~!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have no complaints about my K2, no buyers remorse. Leisel is on her way to PA and a nice new home. The text to speech is great for my 45 minute commute in the morning and afternoon. I never used an SD card so I have no need for folders. I do only one thing with Lady Claire and that is read.  :) Love the sleekness, thinness and rounded corners.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In response: the live keyboard thing would drive me nuts...I like how on the k1 the keyboard is inactive.

Is there anyone who doesn't like that the next/previous buttons are smaller and no longer run the length of the sides? Sort of a careful what you wish for: there were numerous complaints (K1) about that (I personally love the button placement in K1...love the huge buttons) anyone think it is worse this new way and wish the buttons were oversized again?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sjc said:
In response: the live keyboard thing would drive me nuts...I like how on the k1 the keyboard is inactive.

Is there anyone who doesn't like that the next/previous buttons are smaller and no longer run the length of the sides? Sort of a careful what you wish for: there were numerous complaints (K1) about that (I personally love the button placement in K1...love the huge buttons) anyone think it is worse this new way and wish the buttons were oversized again?
The buttons work great for me but I wonder about the guys with larger hands, how does it work for them? I could see it being more difficult. I love both the Klassic and the K 2. Sweet little device. :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't agree more.  K1 or K2...it doesn't matter; great device.  Beats lugging books around any day.  One of my best purchases EVER!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love my Kindle 2 except for one thing.......no major biggie, but I just wish they had made both the Battery and WN icons at the top larger to see, for those of us who have eye problems. Even with glasses on I need to use a magnifier to see their status, but that's okay.  Like I said, no biggie.  LOL

·
Registered
685 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
The buttons work great for me but I wonder about the guys with larger hands, how does it work for them? I could see it being more difficult. I love both the Klassic and the K 2. Sweet little device. :)
I do have slightly larger hands and often have problems getting the Next Page, Previous Page and Home buttons to work on the first attempt.

I would have liked it if either they still operated to the outside or were larger. They wouldn't need to be taller like the ones on the K1, but it would be nicer if they were wider so us people with large thumbs would find them easier to operate.

Other than that, the only thing I would like is a way to install our own screen saver.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I do love it...better than the k1, but...I do have a problem with the screen color being darker than the K1 and the text color being too light. 
In certain lights, I have a hard time.  So much so, that I can hardly see a difference in the colors on the bar going across the battery indicator.  I can't tell how much battery time I have left.  I never had that problem with the k1

Maybe mine is defective...???

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RB: I've read several complaints of this...HOWEVER, yours sounds a bit more pronounced than than the norm. I suggest contacting customer service; I'm sure they will send you out a replacement. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
K2 is my first Kindle, so I can't do a comparison.

Dislikes/issues/concerns after 4 days of use:

• Battery life/recharge cycle--there's NO way this is going to live up to Amazon's declarations. That doesn't really surprise me, per se, but I think they should have been a little more conservative in their marketing. Sure hope it's more durable than their claims have proven thus far, because I fear there will be a lot more recharge cycles happening in a shorter period of time than they're anticipating. And since the unit must go back to them for a new battery......
  • Organization--this should be a no brainer, and I cannot for the life of me understand the logic in putting together a device that holds 1500 books without a better way to sort & organize them. I really, REALLY wonder who at Amazon thinks that makes any sense at all!
  • Long term usage--My intent from the minute I first started thinking about getting a Kindle was to replicate my entire library on it. I'm a voracious re-reader, and the concept of being able to keep my library with me was a joy. I'm finding out now that, a.) there's a lot that isn't available yet, b.) there are some really dumb authors out there that seem to think ebooks are the devil (cough, Rowling, cough), and c.) what happens to my catalog of book files in 10 years when Amazon goes belly up and Kindle 9.0 becomes a brick? Will I get the joy of having to start all over again?
  • Permanent deletion from device would be nice! Discovered this one when I couldn't remove today's issue of the Amazon Daily from my Archived Items--which of course, I'm forced to use to "manage" my content since there's no decent folder/tag/other organization system. LOL I'd much rather just be able to save only the files I want to be retrievable, and delete those I don't.
  • Screensavers. At least let me pick just one of your arbitrary 25 images so I don't have to look at Oscar, Emily, Jane, et al.

On the other hand, it's an absolute joy to read on, I have no bone at all with the ergonomics of it (again, didn't have a K1, so nothing to compare it to other than reading online), it's frankly easier to read than a DTB with my physical problems. No issues here with contrast, screen clarity, different lighting situations both inside and out. It truthfully hasn't left my side for more than a few minutes through the last 4 days, and that's more than I can say for even my iPhone. The potential is enormous, and I know we haven't fully realized the technology yet. While I probably won't upgrade to 3.0 when it's available as I'm typically an every other or every third lifecycle upgrade type of person, I can see that this will almost certainly be a part of my lifestyle going forward in one incarnation or another.

·
Registered
776 Posts
RB said:
I do love it...better than the k1, but...I do have a problem with the screen color being darker than the K1 and the text color being too light.
In certain lights, I have a hard time. So much so, that I can hardly see a difference in the colors on the bar going across the battery indicator. I can't tell how much battery time I have left. I never had that problem with the k1

RB - I'm having the same problem. I have to hold my Kindle at a certain angle and then guess how much battery I have left. Everyone else - is it really obvious on the battery bar to you?
Please let me know what CS tells you. If its pretty normal, I don't want to send my K2 back, cuz everything else works well.

Maybe mine is defective...???

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 5 way button is a liitle sensiive. When I want to move it up or down it sometimes move slightly left or right instead. I wish the web browser was a little faster. I know this is not the real purpose for the device, but including it and not working faster to me is a tease. I love my K2!

Vicki

·
Registered
78 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I have fat fingers and it's a bit difficult to type on. I don't intend to do much typing, though. Out of the case it's a bit slippery to hold on to, I wish they'd milled some grooves into the back cover to make it easier to hold on to.

Battery life is probably not going to be measured in weeks, I think if I get a week from it, I'll be surprised. I keep the radio off unless I am getting something.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
For me - its about the buttons.  I used to hold my K1  with one hand with the cover folded back, and lightly tap on the left button's edge to turn the pages.  Can't do that now cuz the buttons need to be tapped directly from above and seems to need a lot more force.  Its not as comfortable.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I don't know about "guys with larger hands." I'm a 5'10" woman, I wear size 7 1/2 surgical gloves; my 6'-ish male colleagues wear size 7, so....I assume I have reasonably large hands? I like the buttons on my new K2. FWIW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts