Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer.  (Not sure if I was searching for the correct term, though)

I've read two books on my Kindle now, and didn't have any trouble with starting and stopping reading over a period of days, when I went back to the book it always went back to my last place I was reading.  It didn't matter if I put the Kindle in sleep mode or turned it off, or whether Whispernet was on or off, it always went to the last place when I opened the book back up. (I usually have Whispernet turned off if I'm not downloading any books.)

I started a book on Sunday, and no matter what I do it keeps reverting back to the beginning of the book.  I've tried not turning it off completely, tried the feature that allows you to connect to Amazon to sync to the last location read, nothing works.

Anyone else having this problem?  Is it certain books?  If it is, it's going to be really annoying to have to bookmark the last spot I was reading each time I stop reading for the day.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
There was a message from customer service: do not turn the Kindle off when you have a book open. It will not save the page. You should either put it to sleep or return to the home page if you want to turn your Kindle off.

Also, I find that books formatted with Topaz have an annoying habit of not saving the page correctly. It will often jump back 10 pages or so when I re-open the book.

Hope this helps.

L

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually have Whispernet turned off, but tried experimenting last night with it on as well to try and figure out what's going on.

What I can't understand is why this started happening with the 3rd book I've read.  I've always turned the Kindle off completely since I've had it, and it's always saved my last spot in the book I was reading up until now.  I will try going to the home page before turning it off when I get home to see if that works.

Is there any additional drain on the battery to leave it in sleep mode all the time instead of turning it off?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Is there any additional drain on the battery to leave it in sleep mode all the time instead of turning it off?
No. In fact, CS is recommending just leaving it in sleep mode.

L

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses, I will try just leaving it in sleep mode to see if that works. 

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
RangerXenos said:
I usually have Whispernet turned off, but tried experimenting last night with it on as well to try and figure out what's going on.

What I can't understand is why this started happening with the 3rd book I've read. I've always turned the Kindle off completely since I've had it, and it's always saved my last spot in the book I was reading up until now. I will try going to the home page before turning it off when I get home to see if that works.

There's Whispernet and Whispersync. One of our members had a problem when "Whispersync" got switched on and she wasn't sure how it happened. Go to Manage Your Kindle on your Amazon account and look to make sure it is off. Perhaps it's trying to sync somehow...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Betsy the Quilter said:
There's Whispernet and Whispersync. One of our members had a problem when "Whispersync" got switched on and she wasn't sure how it happened. Go to Manage Your Kindle on your Amazon account and look to make sure it is off. Perhaps it's trying to sync somehow...
Okay, I must be blind, I am not seeing this when I go to Manage Your Kindle -- do I need to do this from my Kindle, or from my computer?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
RangerXenos said:
Okay, I must be blind, I am not seeing this when I go to Manage Your Kindle -- do I need to do this from my Kindle, or from my computer?
From your computer. Go to your Amazon account, choose Manage your Kindle. I think you need to go way to the bottom of the page to find the button to click for whispersync. Try turning that off and see if that helps.

L

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are no buttons at all, no Whispersync.  When I do a search, Whispersync comes up for iPhone applications, is this for iPhones?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Thanks, y'all.  Since I don't have a K2, I don't know nuthin' about no Whispersync, just that it was creating a problem for Robin earlier.

Betsy

·
Registered
92 Posts
If this is happening in just the one book, the chances are that there's something wrong with the metadata of the book, which is keeping the Kindle from creating the file necessary to hold things like page saves.  One good thing to try is to create a bookmark in the book.  If it won't do that, then there's something wrong with the metadata.  If you bought the book at Amazon, tell them and get your money back.  Just out of curiosity, would you mind giving us the title and author as it appears on the title page of the Kindle?  If there are unusual characters in it (for example an ampersand) that's your problem for sure.

Jim

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks, y'all. Since I don't have a K2, I don't know nuthin' about no Whispersync, just that it was creating a problem for Robin earlier.
It works on K1, too.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
;D

We have Whispersync?  I thought it was a K2 thing...rushing off to check this out.
D'oh...too much sun in San Diego.

I turned it off as my brother and I are sharing an account.  I guess I knew we had the menu option to manually synch but didn't realize there was an option on the website.

Betsy

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
strether said:
If this is happening in just the one book, the chances are that there's something wrong with the metadata of the book, which is keeping the Kindle from creating the file necessary to hold things like page saves. One good thing to try is to create a bookmark in the book. If it won't do that, then there's something wrong with the metadata. If you bought the book at Amazon, tell them and get your money back. Just out of curiosity, would you mind giving us the title and author as it appears on the title page of the Kindle? If there are unusual characters in it (for example an ampersand) that's your problem for sure.

Jim
This is the first book that it's happened to me on, I've read two others without any trouble (both Kindle versions from Amazon) and I did buy this book from Amazon, it's Tree Shepherd's Daughter (Faire Folk, Book 1) by Gillian Summers. I actually linked from one of the forums here to buy it.

It will let me create a bookmark, that's what I started doing so that I could keep track of where I was. I don't want to have to keep doing that, though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
luvmy4brats said:
If you go to the bottom of the manage you Kindle page (beneath the listing of your books and indivivual charges,you'll see this:

Manage synchronization between devices. Learn more.

Click on the learn more on the page and it will take you to the WhisperSync page.
There is nothing like that anywhere on my Manage Your Kindle page, I've looked everywhere. Argh...

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Since it started happening, have you tried to read any other books to see if it happens with them?  If not, it may indeed be something just with that book.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
RangerXenos said:
This is the first book that it's happened to me on, I've read two others without any trouble (both Kindle versions from Amazon) and I did buy this book from Amazon, it's Tree Shepherd's Daughter (Faire Folk, Book 1) by Gillian Summers. I actually linked from one of the forums here to buy it.

It will let me create a bookmark, that's what I started doing so that I could keep track of where I was. I don't want to have to keep doing that, though.
Looking at the details on Amazon, it only shows pages, not the size of the file in KB. That can be a tip off that it is a Topaz formatted book and that might be what is causing the problems. I think I said earlier that Topaz books can be wonky with skipping around. I've had that problem.

I'm too lazy to download a sample but looking at the book, does it look "different," ie, like it is scanned? Not the usual font? If so, my suspicion is that is what is causing the problem.

L

1 - 20 of 28 Posts