Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My US located daughter gave me a Kindle 2 for my birthday. I was delighted with this gift however I can not get it going. I seem to be blocked at every turn. I am aware that I have to download to my computer as Whispernet is not recognised in Australia - that was OK but also I do not have an American credit card and therefore can not buy a book from Amazon. When I put in the USB for a trial run of uploading something already in my files I get a screen on the kindle2 virtually telling me to remove the USB - blocked again. I am almost ready to sell it off on eBay. I am still waiting for a reply to my help query to Amazon Kindle. Can anyone help me? Patricia    :mad:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I do know that Amazon will not sell e-books to you if you do not have a US credit card from a US based bank.

I am not sure if this is causing your problem. Have you tried downloading books from another site like http://manybooks.net/ ?

There have been discussions here about transferring files to your kindle via the USB. Have you checked those out?

Also, welcome to Kindle Boards. There is an Introduction section here that you can introduce yourself. You will get a warm welcome and get to know a few of your fellow Kindle Boarders.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You do need a credit card with an American address to purchase ebooks from Amazon. Perhaps you could set one up at your daughter's address?

The USB problem I don't understand.... When you connect via USB, you should be able to open the Kindle on your PC as though it was any other drive. Then you can add any properly formatted file (i.e., .mobi, .prc) to the Documents folder on the Kindle. Then you need to eject the Kindle from the PC to view the file.

If the file you want to open is not in a format recognized by the Kindle, there are a number of third-party programs you can use to convert PDFs, TXT and other file formats. Stanza and Calibre are two programs that are cross platform and convert other formats to Kindle files.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Like Cat said perhaps another location to get books might work, other than that a US based credit card will probably solve the problem.  If you can use your daughter's address an Amazon card would also give you points towards gift cards and that could be used for books.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
You might try buying one of the Visa gift cards and use your daughters US address on it. Once you have it registered to your account, you could then buy amazon gift cards to buy books. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
If you have a computer running Vista, it seems to be a bug that you cannot read your Kindle while charging it, despite the message on the screen. Is that what you mean by saying "remove the USB"? However, that screen does not interfere with transferring files via USB. Plug in the Kindle (you'll see the message to eject the hardware) and open Windows explorer. Your Kindle will appear as an external drive (on my computer it is G:). Just transfer files using drag & drop or copy & paste and you should be good to go. Make sure to put them in the documents folder.

Also, it sounds like your daughter is in the US. If so, can you register your Kindle to her account? That would give you the mechanism you need to be able to buy books from Amazon. You'd need to transfer them with the USB, of course. You could pay your daughter back for the books you buy or give her a lump sum of money in advance to have a book balance to draw from.

I think the Kindle was a great gift that your daughter gave you, however, Amazon is very clear that the Kindle is not designed for the international market -- yet. Therefore, to make it work for you will probably take a little bit of patience and persistence on your part. But it's not impossible. We do have several international members here. Maybe they'll chime in with a few more suggestions.

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
flinders street said:
My US located daughter gave me a Kindle 2 for my birthday. I was delighted with this gift however I can not get it going. I seem to be blocked at every turn. I am aware that I have to download to my computer as Whispernet is not recognised in Australia - that was OK but also I do not have an American credit card and therefore can not buy a book from Amazon. When I put in the USB for a trial run of uploading something already in my files I get a screen on the kindle2 virtually telling me to remove the USB - blocked again. I am almost ready to sell it off on eBay. I am still waiting for a reply to my help query to Amazon Kindle. Can anyone help me? Patricia :mad:
Patricia,

what a generous daughter to give you a Kindle! Stick with us here, our very knowledgeable members will give you lots of good tips on how to get going with your Kindle! The simplest way, as several have said, would be to ask your daughter to let you register to her account. Several of our members do that, especially those who have multiple Kindles in the family. My brother's and my Kindles are both registered to my account.

Also,as has been noted, there are several websites for which you can download books for your Kindle. Go here http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1136.0.html to find a list of sites with Kindle-readable books.

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your Kindle!

Betsy

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I have a feeling, Patricia, that you may be misreading the message on your Kindle when you plug in the USB.  All it is essentially saying (without having mine plugged in in front of me) is to be careful when it comes time to UNPLUG the Kindle from the USB, to make sure that all activity between the computer and Kindle has ceased before you unplug it so nothing gets corrupted.

The confusion may come -- and forgive me if you understand this, but it was a problem with another member not understanding it -- because once you plug the Kindle in with the USB cord, you don't use the Kindle itself to move the files over, but instead you use the computer.  So ignore the message you see on your Kindle and instead look at your computer to find the Kindle in "My Computer" (assuming a Windows computer; if you have a Mac, I'm afraid I have no idea what you would look at to see an external drive).  Your Kindle will show up in the listing of "Devices with Removable Storage" and should actually show "Kindle" in the description with a drive designation (D, E, F, G, whatever; it depends on what other things you have hooked up to your computer).  From there, as Leslie mentioned, just make sure you copy your relevant files into the Kindle "documents" subfolder.  Once you're done, eject the Kindle (right click, eject), and then unplug the USB cord.

Try that, and let us know if it works! :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is just a guess, but see whether you can use your credit card to buy an Amazon gift card.

As long as you can buy the gift card, you should be able to register the gift card to your amazon account.

Once a gift card is registered to your amazon account, any purchase is taken from the gift card before any credit card.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Steph H said:
I have a feeling, Patricia, that you may be misreading the message on your Kindle when you plug in the USB. All it is essentially saying (without having mine plugged in in front of me) is to be careful when it comes time to UNPLUG the Kindle from the USB, to make sure that all activity between the computer and Kindle has ceased before you unplug it so nothing gets corrupted.

The confusion may come -- and forgive me if you understand this, but it was a problem with another member not understanding it -- because once you plug the Kindle in with the USB cord, you don't use the Kindle itself to move the files over, but instead you use the computer. So ignore the message you see on your Kindle and instead look at your computer to find the Kindle in "My Computer" (assuming a Windows computer; if you have a Mac, I'm afraid I have no idea what you would look at to see an external drive). Your Kindle will show up in the listing of "Devices with Removable Storage" and should actually show "Kindle" in the description with a drive designation (D, E, F, G, whatever; it depends on what other things you have hooked up to your computer). From there, as Leslie mentioned, just make sure you copy your relevant files into the Kindle "documents" subfolder. Once you're done, eject the Kindle (right click, eject), and then unplug the USB cord.

Try that, and let us know if it works! :)
On my Mac, my Kindle appears on the desk top. The new device is cleverly called "Kindle." ;)

patrisha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I was wondering if i bought a kindle 2 and had a US credit card, although i am living abroad in South East Asia, can i still subscribe to the newspaper articles daily and transfer it to my kindle?

many thanks,

Iggy

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
I believe the policy is that you have to have a US credit card and the initial shipping of the Kindle has to be to a US address (and I don't think that includes APO/FPO addresses).  Once you own a Kindle, you can download books via your computer and transfer to the Kindle via USB.

Newspapers are more problematic.  My recollection is that, in order to get them, you have to get at least one issue by WN (which, of course, you won't be able to do outside the US) . . .then the rest are available to d/l to your computer and transfer.  What you might do is have it shipped to someone stateside, subscribe to the paper, and have them d/l the first issue before they send it on to you.

Good luck

Ann

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I had newspapers downloaded to my computer, did not have to use WN at all.  But that was awhile back so possibly a change in policy since then.  Don't get the papers now, just read the news on the computer.  But you do have to have a US credit card and a US address for the credit card, at least to get the kindle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts