Kindle Forum banner

Is the Kindle 2 tougher than the Kindle 1?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • More Damage-Prone

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Same

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 21.1%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like after only a month or two of K2 ownership, I'm going to have to send it back in for repairs.  :-\

I'm pretty kid-glovesy with it, and often carry it in the front pocket of my 13x10 daytimer zip thingamajig, and even that I tend to baby and not throw around.  Worst I've consciously done is throw it across the bedroom onto my bed like a frisbee, but soft landing.  The other day my daytimer zip thing slid off the couch onto my hardwood floor.  Didn't think much of it at the time after seeing the impact videos, but when I next turned my K2 on, there was a thick line at the top of the screen that wasn't displaying (blank line) and a thin one a few mm below it, basically not printing the Kindle title bar properly.  When a screensaver kicked on where the top was normally solid dark, it had these white lines across it.

Not sure what happened today, but now it looks like it's taken up about 1/4 of the top of the screen in various shades of grey that don't change no matter what the screen should be displaying, with almost a plaid pattern in some parts.

Based on the impact tests, and from folks that have owned the K1 vs. K2, do you find that the K2 is as sturdy as the K1, or is more damage-prone because of the new design, or do you find that it has improved upon the K1 in physical reliablity?

Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Shoot... I accidentally voted yes but I meant no. (ETA -- No, I did mean to vote yes! Wow, maybe I better just go read my Kindle and stop trying to participate. ::) Sorry.) I actually find my K2 feels sturdier to me than my K1. I do treat it as carefully as I did my first Kindle, which is very carefully. Regarding the drop test video, a friend observed "You notice after it drops, they don't turn it on to show how it is operating." The kind of drop you describe has been the death of many a K1 that I've read about on the Amazon forums. If the Kindle hits a hard surface a certain way, the screen may become irreparably damaged. Which is why I treat my Kindle very carefully and hope I don't get unlikely like you did. What are you planning to do about the broken K2?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just in case anyone was curious how it worked out, I called Amazon up and explained exactly what happened and the symptoms as I did in my first post on this topic, and they were very understanding and immediately sent a new one out one-day delivery.  Just got it today.  They provide an email that gives a link to a printable shipping label that's pre-paid that you tape onto the front of the return box and drop it off at a UPS store.  VERY smooth.  Bonus is that I unpacked the new kindle, put the old one in the same package, and re-taped it.

I can't say how impressed I am with the service and ease with which it was replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts