Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through my daily blogs, and found this gem from Gizmodo

http://i.gizmodo.com/5161405/a-larger-touchscreen-kindle-3-coming-this-year

While we first saw the Kindle 2 months ago in a leak, there's been another nagging rumor, one of a Kindle with a full 8.5"x11" display. And according to DigiTimes, that Kindle still exists.

Sneakily tacked on a post about Amazon's e-ink display manufacturer Prime View International, the publication states:
"Amazon plans to launch a new generation of Kindle by the end of this year, which will be larger in size and equipped with touch functions, the sources said."

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you think the current Kindle is expensive, how many extra $hundred would one with that size eInk screen go for???

·
Registered
36 Posts
My understanding from reading various "leaks" is that this Kindle will be meant for students -- as in textbook size -- personally I don't want anything that big.

If it cuts down on the $500-$600 PER SEMESTER cost of textbooks I would invest in one for my college-bound daughter. Even at a price tag of $500 it would be worth not having to re-sell those books every semester. My oldest never hardly recouped any of her expenses AND had to lug around a ton of books every day.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I am sure eventually there will be a business type model out. Not geared obviously towards the book reader. More than one model would open up other options. I still think though its a bit farther away than this year. Cost has to come down on the screen because even business folks won't be able to afford such a large screen model looking at current pricing. Couple of years or so.

I am thinking the smaller black and white for regular book worms and a business model for later in color, larger and more for presentations and holding documents of that sort. Or maybe a model geared towards newspapers and magazines of the future. No more printed magazines. Its a win win as they are losing money anyway right now.

I can't wait to see where e readers are going to go few years from now.

·
Registered
501 Posts
knit4keeps said:
My understanding from reading various "leaks" is that this Kindle will be meant for students -- as in textbook size -- personally I don't want anything that big.

If it cuts down on the $500-$600 PER SEMESTER cost of textbooks I would invest in one for my college-bound daughter. Even at a price tag of $500 it would be worth not having to re-sell those books every semester. My oldest never hardly recouped any of her expenses AND had to lug around a ton of books every day.
I'm no engineer, but I doubt that an extra $140 would buy you an 8 1/2 x 11" screen including touch screen. But even if it sold for $750, you're right, over the course of college, IF textbooks were made eReadable, that could save considerable money IF the profs/publishers sold at a significantly lower price. 2 VERY big "ifs."

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh please shoot me now. Having opted not to upgrade I was as eager as anyone for k2's release for the simple reason that we'd get a break from all the breathless monotony of next gen. speculation and rumormongering.

Somebody please, tell me I'm dreaming or this is just an abberation--the respite was too short!! Can't we at least have another week or two?  :-\

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
But will the they release text books as ebooks? They are so expensive and aren't there a lot of campus bookstores that make a living out of selling and buying those textbooks? They can't really make them that cheap, even if they do release them as e books and then who will pay that much money for something they cant sell or buy used.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Encender Vaquero said:
Oh please shoot me now. Having opted not to upgrade I was as eager as anyone for k2's release for the simple reason that we'd get a break from all the breathless monotony of next gen. speculation and rumormongering.

Somebody please, tell me I'm dreaming or this is just an abberation--the respite was too short!! Can't we at least have another week or two? :-\
Sorry! I didn't want to start the rumor-mill up already (ok, maybe I did) but when I read this, I had to post it!

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I don't even think of those options coming as Kindles. As in K3 and so on. I think that would be a new name. The Kindle is the Kindle, its meant to read books, newspapers and magazines. Mostly books of course for serious book readers.

I would make a new name for a business type model. That's just me lol.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I wouldn't want a touchscreen because of all the fingerprints. Also, I heard that when the sony reader came out with a touchscreen, the added thickness of the glass/whatever over top of the eink screen caused a much worse glare.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just talking about that with someone at work. Touchscreen on a screen that you are trying to read on doesn't seem like a good idea. They would have to find some way of producing some type of smudge-proof e-ink display!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:

Somebody please, tell me I'm dreaming or this is just an abberation--the respite was too short!! Can't we at least have another week or two? :-\
Oh come on, EV....you've got to admit it is hilarious! K2s haven't even been around an entire week yet and already we're wondering what the even sexier K3 will be like. What does this say about human nature? On second thought, I'm not sure I want to know ???

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
My Father liked my Kindle but said he would wait for a larger version to come out. Many of the reviews comment that they would like a larger screen. I am fine with the size of the screen but I do think that there is a market for the larger screen.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:

Really...I haven't even had a chance to get the damn book updated and they are talking about no. 3? Yikes! Is K2 going to become the forgotten stepchild in the Kindle firmament?

L

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would LOVE to be able to have a larger, touchscreen platform. Just not for me...I love my Kindle 1 and will not be giving it up any time soon. But my dad, who is in his 80's, would love to have access to the news papers, and it would be easier for him to just touch what he wants, instead of trying to type on a small keyboard, or use key commands.  And when my daughter heads off to  high school, something like this could be great for her.
Maybe someday it will happen. In fact, I am sure it will happen, but it's at least a couple years off yet. They are working on it and hopefully they will be able to make it affordable before both my kids have graduated college!

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
I will offer no opinions on the authenticity of the photo. . . . . .only observations:  the design seems to be based on the K1. . . .and if the keyboard is always there, I don't see where the bigger screen is better. . . but maybe it wouldn't be (always there, I mean).  The big buttons were a complaint about K1 which they fixed in K2 so it seems odd they'd go back there. . .

Ann

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
I will offer no opinions on the authenticity of the photo. . . . . .only observations: the design seems to be based on the K1. . . .and if the keyboard is always there, I don't see where the bigger screen is better. . . but maybe it wouldn't be (always there, I mean). The big buttons were a complaint about K1 which they fixed in K2 so it seems odd they'd go back there. . .

Ann
I believe the picture is just photoshopped to show what it could look like. As for the keyboard, i have a feeling it is toggled on or off.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I will offer no opinions on the authenticity of the photo. . . . . .only observations: the design seems to be based on the K1. . . .and if the keyboard is always there, I don't see where the bigger screen is better. . . but maybe it wouldn't be (always there, I mean). The big buttons were a complaint about K1 which they fixed in K2 so it seems odd they'd go back there. . .

Ann
The photo is an obvious Photoshop, but the "keyboard" they show is a "virtual" touch-screen keyboard, like the iPhone has. When you don't need the keyboard, the entire screen real estate is once again, screen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts