Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably won't get much notice today with all the KDX hoopla, but...

My Kindle addiction was pointed out to me this morning when I stepped outside for a quick smoke and several people commented on the fact that I didn't have my Kindle with me.  I never realized before how many people took note of the fact that I "always" have it with me.  One surprised person even said she didn't think she would ever see the day I would walk outside without Kindle in hand.

ah well, 1 good for me addiction (Kindle) to offset the bad for me one (smoking).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey Sandy

I noticed!!!

I did leave home without my Kindle this morning i was running late but turned around to got get her. I skipped stopping for coffee so I could make it to work on time.  The comment I got was  "No coffee today?" by several of my staff as I grunted Good Morning. I am sure they would have rather I had stopped for coffee and arrived late.

Oh well I do have my Kindle so I can indulge in some lunchtime reading and a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
530 Posts
LOL I know I am addicted. When people at work want to show a Kindle to someone they know they can always find one with me. I also have gone back to get my Kindle on days I have left it at home. I am so bad with it that I have left my purse placed 7 times in the last year but I have NEVER EVER left my Kindle anyplace.

It is amazing however, how much people notice about you that you don't realize. The other day someone asked if a jacket was mine, and a co-worked piped up and asked if it was  "a dance jacket, a nascar jacket, or a Rainforest cafe jacket, if not it was not mine". It was sort of odd.

·
Registered
913 Posts
OMG Sandy, that's me also.  When I step out to have a puff during the workday I always have my Kindle.  Someone made a comment recently that it appears I have a third appendage (referring to the Kindle).  Anytime I have 5 or 10 minutes, I am reading on the thing and when I don't have it, the smoking clutch always makes a comment.  Yes, my name is Lisa and I am a Kindle addict!  LOL! :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always pat my purse to make sure mine is in it.  The other day I got in the car, patted my purse, and almost walked back in the house to get it when I realized that I was just going to the store to pick up a gallon of milk.  I had to talk myself out of going back in.  I think that's the first time since I got it in May '08 that it hasn't been with me.  No addiction here, though.  ::)

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
The first step in fighting an addiction is admitting you have a problem.

I admit that I pretty much take my Kindle everywhere I go.

I don't think it's a problem.  :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can empathize; I carry mine pretty much every where I go (when possible) and I get a heck of a lot of use out of it. I went swimming a few days ago and even brought it to the pool.  ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I was at my boyfriend's one day last week and was doing some dinner preparation.  My K was laying on the kitchen counter and I was reading between tasks.  He came inside to tell me something and was talking while he was coming into the kitchen.  When he walked in I was, of course, reading.  His comment was, which is more important, your K or me.  He was joking of course.  He's not mean.  But I did manage to change the subject and not answer directly.  LOL
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
You know, deb, you made me realize something. . . . .if I'm interrupted reading a paper book it seems to me it is MUCH harder to get back into it, to my place, etc.  I don't have nearly the trouble with a Kindle book which actually makes me more likely to 'allow' the interruption when I'm reading. . .rather than saying "just a minute". . .which, as we all know, could be more like 20.  :D    Does anyone else find this to be the case, or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
You know, deb, you made me realize something. . . . .if I'm interrupted reading a paper book it seems to me it is MUCH harder to get back into it, to my place, etc. I don't have nearly the trouble with a Kindle book which actually makes me more likely to 'allow' the interruption when I'm reading. . .rather than saying "just a minute". . .which, as we all know, could be more like 20. :D Does anyone else find this to be the case, or is it just me?
I agree. I never really thought about it until I read your post, but I feel the same way.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hi, my name is Mary Ann and I am a Kindle addict. I haven't been without it for 5 months and 14 days. Really, even when I go out for social events I have it with me! I love my Kindle! Can we have Kindlers Anonymous meetings? We can all just sit and read and drink coffee!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Isn't it more of an addiction to reading, though? Or, rather, a vast interest in reading, which we all know is a good thing. It's just that the Kindle allows us to do that more conveniently. It'd be the same as having your nose in a paper book all day. I don't really make the distinction between the two (except that you can have your nose in more than one book very easily on the Kindle) :)

Here's the interesting thing, though. If one did take a paper book with them everywhere instead of the Kindle, I'm quite sure the comments would generally be much more derogatory in nature than "I didn't think I'd ever see the day where you'd walk outside without Kindle in hand." I don't mean you specifically, sandypeach, but just in general. Especially amongst a younger crowd. Reading is still seen as a nerdy hobby for some. At least the Kindle is doing it's part in combatting that in its own way. There's generally more interest and fascination with reading on a Kindle than a 'boring old paper book'.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Patra said:
I always pat my purse to make sure mine is in it. The other day I got in the car, patted my purse, and almost walked back in the house to get it when I realized that I was just going to the store to pick up a gallon of milk. I had to talk myself out of going back in. I think that's the first time since I got it in May '08 that it hasn't been with me. No addiction here, though. ::)
I totally would have (and have) gone back on such occasions. Who knows when you might have a breakdown and need something to read while waiting for the tow truck?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

I don't think it's a problem. :D
HaHa!

·
Registered
194 Posts
not sure if it's a problem or not but it has become apparent that i care for my kindles safety and well being than my own.  if someone were to throw a grenade at me i would cover it with my body and scream at my kindle to run. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Patra said:
I always pat my purse to make sure mine is in it. The other day I got in the car, patted my purse, and almost walked back in the house to get it when I realized that I was just going to the store to pick up a gallon of milk. I had to talk myself out of going back in. I think that's the first time since I got it in May '08 that it hasn't been with me. No addiction here, though. ::)
I do the purse patting thing too. LOL.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
The last thing I used to make sure I had before leaving the house was my phone.  Now it's my K.  I don't care if I have my phone or not. 
deb

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

I don't think it's a problem. :D
LOL!!! because its SO TRUE!!

Kim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts