Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are frequent travelers, what is the best way to get the Kindle safely through airport security?  I've read over on the Amazon board that some have had their K's "fried" for lack of a better term after going through the scanners.  Some say they've had no trouble at all.  All say that the K should be turned off, but the conflicting stories are making me somewhat concerned.  We are going on a Caribbean Cruise in Feb and I will most likely be going to Belgium, Nowway and Sweden in the fall and want to be able to travel w/it.  Thanks for any hints and tips!
Ruby

·
Registered
776 Posts
What a fun year in store for you, Ruby! I travel frequently with my Kindle and have had no problems (knocking on wood). I make sure that I always have the Whispernet and the unit, itself, turned totally off when I go through security. Other than that, I leave it in my purse and have never been questioned about it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I travel a lot with my kindle and I also have had no problem with it going through security.  It's always off before I send it through the machine so I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Haven't travelled since I got my Kindle, but have passed film, laptops and PDAs through scanners for years with no problem. That being said, not all scanners are set to the same strength, and it's entirely possible a Kindle has been fried along the way, but I believe it would be a very isolated incident.  For me, I got the Kindle so I could travel with it, so I'll play the odds and send it through.  Plus I have my Square Trade warranty (www.squaretrade.com).

Betsy

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you ALL for your very quick and helpful replies! I will make sure to have both switches turned off and will put it through separately, I am not crazy about having my stuff pawed through, not to mention the hold up it causes. Looking forward to warmer temps next month too! PS-have I mentioned how much I LOVE this board???
Ruby :)

G

·
No sir, that is the battery.  I have no idea why it looks like C4.  I didn't design it..what are you doing?  What are the shackles for?  HELP!!!

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I would think, if you're really concerned, to make sure to leave yourself extra time, and ask for it to be hand checked like they do computers.  You know, have it open and on, demonstrate that it works and doesn't have any more than 3 oz of e-ink.   ::)  Seriously, though, I don't see why they wouldn't do that, but I would NOT suggest it in a busy line when you're in a hurry. . .plan ahead!

I will say that last month, when I had to go into the Pentagon to get my security badge, I didn't even bring my Kindle.  I knew I'd have to put things through x-ray and had no idea how the line would be.  Sometimes it's quite fast and sometimes the line is very very long.  I brought a paper book that day -- yes, I still have a few :).  Now that I have my badge, while my bags are subject to inspection, I don't have to go through the x-ray every time so it will definitely go to work with me for use during down time/lunch.

Ann

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I guess I still haven't fully adapted to the times we live in.  I have taken my Kindle through airport security many times and it never even occurred to me to as much as turn it off, let alone separately declare it, have it hand-searched, etc.  I just stuff it into my laptop case and away it goes through the scanner - touch wood I've never had a problem.  What does turning it off accomplish?

JJ

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Ruby,

I've had my Kindle go through airport security maybe a dozen times since I got it last spring. I usually put it in the bin with my shoes and iphone, only because I am usually holding it and reading it while I stand in line. Whispernet is off and Kindle is in sleep mode. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single problem.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
JetJock said:
Wow, I guess I still haven't fully adapted to the times we live in. I have taken my Kindle through airport security many times and it never even occurred to me to as much as turn it off, let alone separately declare it, have it hand-searched, etc. I just stuff it into my laptop case and away it goes through the scanner - touch wood I've never had a problem. What does turning it off accomplish?

JJ
I only say to declare it and just place it in the bin because my mom has had to check a few bags that have had ebook readers that weren't declared. That said, I didn't have any trouble with in being in my bag r/t to Vegas...each airport's security is different.

On a different note but still slightly on topic....declare those cocktail shakers too :p

G

·
JetJock said:
Wow, I guess I still haven't fully adapted to the times we live in. I have taken my Kindle through airport security many times and it never even occurred to me to as much as turn it off, let alone separately declare it, have it hand-searched, etc. I just stuff it into my laptop case and away it goes through the scanner - touch wood I've never had a problem. What does turning it off accomplish?

JJ
With the Kindle off and Whispernet off, it is less like the Kindle will pick up random EMF and get fried or scrambled.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vampyre said:
No sir, that is the battery. I have no idea why it looks like C4. I didn't design it..what are you doing? What are the shackles for? HELP!!!
Ha Ha, thanks for the laughs.........!

Ann Von Hagel said:
I would think, if you're really concerned, to make sure to leave yourself extra time, and ask for it to be hand checked like they do computers. You know, have it open and on, demonstrate that it works and doesn't have any more than 3 oz of e-ink. ::) Seriously, though, I don't see why they wouldn't do that, but I would NOT suggest it in a busy line when you're in a hurry. . .plan ahead!

I will say that last month, when I had to go into the Pentagon to get my security badge, I didn't even bring my Kindle. I knew I'd have to put things through x-ray and had no idea how the line would be. Sometimes it's quite fast and sometimes the line is very very long. I brought a paper book that day -- yes, I still have a few :). Now that I have my badge, while my bags are subject to inspection, I don't have to go through the x-ray every time so it will definitely go to work with me for use during down time/lunch.

Ann
Thanks Ann, I try to get things handchecked whenever possible, but sometimes they are not willing to do that. I know that the x-rays in the Hong Kong airport are super strong and I've had good luck there so far. We always try to allow plenty of time, but traveling w/small kids is tenuous at best so we try to make it as easy on them as possible

Leslie said:
Hi Ruby,

I've had my Kindle go through airport security maybe a dozen times since I got it last spring. I usually put it in the bin with my shoes and iphone, only because I am usually holding it and reading it while I stand in line. Whispernet is off and Kindle is in sleep mode. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single problem.

L
Good to hear that you haven't had any problems going through that many times. I will put in bin too as I'm sure I'll have it out during down time too.
Thanks again!
Ruby

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have had it through a security 28 times since I got my Kindle and never had a problem.  I turn it off and leave it in my backpack and it goes right through. I figure they are too confused by all my other electronics in it, blackberries, GPS, cameras, chargers etc. to notice.  I did have a checker on Maui that wanted to look at it, but I think he wanted to buy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put my kindle through the security machines at work everyday and haven't had a problem. It goes through xrays on a daily basis both while in sleep mode and with whispernet on. My only concern is that the security guys will confiscate it for their own personal enjoyment like they try to do whenever I bring brownies to my co-workers.  ;D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I have had it through a security 28 times since I got my Kindle and never had a problem. I turn it off and leave it in my backpack and it goes right through. I figure they are too confused by all my other electronics in it, blackberries, GPS, cameras, chargers etc. to notice. I did have a checker on Maui that wanted to look at it, but I think he wanted to buy one.
I hope to hell that TSA would examine any item that caused them confusion. Otherwise they would be useless. ???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.