Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm scheduled for a short vacation the end of next month, I'm just curious if anyone has any info I should be aware of about traveling with my Kindle 2 via air. I've not yet decided for sure if I want to take it with me (it's only going to be about 4 days), but if I do, I'm curious about whether I need to be concerned with x-ray machines affecting it, is it better to stow it in your baggage that to have to bother with security checks as a carry-on, or would you recommend just picking up a fat paperback to read and leave my Kindle at home? Feel free to add any other things I haven't considered but should.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I would definitely take it with me, I would never check anything valuable unless I could absolutely not help it, and I took my K1 to California and back with no ill effects; others like Leslie have flown many times, no problem!  Security was not a problem, I had it in my backpack with my other electronics, didn't have to turn it on or anything.  Remember your charger!

Betsy

·
Registered
139 Posts
I find the airport the perfect place to have my Kindle.  All that waiting.  All that junk to carry.  Finding myself needing books.  I've taken mine through about ten airports now, with no problem.  Put it to sleep and turn the WN off. 

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have flown with my Kindle three times and will be flying with it a fourth time. My brother has flown with his many more times and has not had a problem. The whole point of the Kindle for me is to be able to carry a ton of books with me where ever I go. Leaving it at home when traveling would negate the point of having Tavar.

It is fine to send it through the X-Ray. I would make sure you have Whispernet turned off, the few stories of a messed up Kindle after the machine all had whispernet on. That said, there are plenty of folks that have said they sent theirs through the machine with whispernet on and had no problems. Others have suggested that you hand it to the security person for a hand check if you are concerned.

Some flight attendenats will ask you to turn the Kindle off during landings and takeoff. I say sure, turn Tavar off, close the cover, and wait for them to be belted in for take off. Then I pull out Tavar and read. Others are better behaved then I and put it away until they are told it is cool to use them.

Several people here and at Amazons site have posted that their pilot friends think that the no using electronic devices during landing and takeoff is to make sure that people are paying attention during the more hazardous parts of the flight. That way if something goes wrong people are already focused. If that is the case cool but then tell people reading DTB and magazines to put those away.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just flew this weekend with my Kindle and it was AWESOME!!!!  I just carried it in my purse, put it through XRay, no problems.  I did turn off the wireless while I was there, because I knew I wasn't downloading anythign anyways, but read all through take off and landing...no problem, and the flight attendant definitely saw me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm always flying somewhere and wouldn't think of leaving without my K. There are no problems or concerns at security checkpoints.
Funny story...Last month I was so into reading on my K that I didn't hear them boarding my plane until they were calling my name.  So My A boarding pass on Southwest got me the worst seat on the plane since I was the last to board.  Won't do that again!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have flown multiple times with my K1 and had now problems. I was asked to turn it off a few times during take off but that is about it. I would not even consider flying without it. I have a trip coming up this weekend (long flight followed by a wonderful cruise) and my Kindle will be my constant companion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just flew from LA to Hawaii and back again. Took my Kindle and put it through the x-ray machine. The wireless was off and the Kindle was asleep. No problems at all. But from now on I'll be handing to TSA for manual check - just to be sure!

I am one of those people that follows the rules and actually turn my K2 off while taking off and landing.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I travel 2 weeks out of the month and have never had a problem with taking my Kindle. I make sure that the Whispernet is turned off before scanning. If you are worried about it going through scanning, they will examine it by hand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I travel a lot and always bring my Kindle.  To be honest I bring my Kindle everywhere, it is always with me.  I have only had one flight attendant ask me to turn it off at take-off - I immediately turned it on and started reading again, the moment she passed me by. I know .... I have never followed stupid rules well.  If a plane could crash because I was reading an ereader, it is time to stop flying!

Four days is an eternity to be without your Kindle - take it.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
If the plane crashes because you were reading your e-reader you probably won't have to worry about making that decision again. And neither will I because I read with mine during takeoff and landings.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have flown all over the place with mine and had no problems.  I don't just put it to sleep though, I totally turn it off when it goes through security.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the positive feedback. I'm now convinced it's OK, and will take it as carry-on (unless some horror stories show up here between now and then :) ).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Carry-on is the only way to do it.

Never, and I mean NEVER, place anything with a screen of any kind in your checked baggage. The combination of weight from other bags (have you ever SEEN the way they toss checked baggage around?), lack of heat and pressure in the cargo area will simply RUIN anything with a screen.

Don't. Ever. Check. Electronics.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I travel several times a month and it is fine at the airport.  Just treat it like a baby...that you have to send through the X-Ray machine.  They are fragile little buggers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just got back yesterday and flew with my kindle 1.  It went through x-ray in my Vera Bradley Bowler bag and is fine.  I, too, started reading the minute we took off on both legs and the flight attendant said nothing.  On the trip down, the man in front of me was reading a REALLY NAKED Kindle - no skin or cover.  So I told him about this website.

On the trip back the lady sitting in the same row on the other side of the plane had her Kindle out and was reading away just like I was.  The man next to me said he wanted to get one of those "Kindle thingies" but said the flight attendents crab at him about his - what looked like a PDA that he used to read books from.  I looked at him and said "Well, no one has said anything about it to me.  I just make sure the whispernet is turned off".  I could tell he was envious.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I fly constantly for work and on my last trip to South America (first flights with my Kindle) I couldn't be bothered to turn it off during take off and landings, and wasn't asked to do so. I think the flight attendants weren't sure what to make of it, to be honest.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I say take it.

I sometimes take laptop,ipod,cell phone, portable DVD player, etc. Many of those things have wireless signals and/or screens to protect etc. I still take them and I will definitely take my kindle when I have to fly.

But I have a question maybe someone here could answer.
I COMPLETELY understand and agree with powering down cellphones and anything that sends out a signal for obvious reasons. But I have had several stewardesses tell me to take my earphones out of my ears before (after all the safety announcements) and power off ipods/DVD players. My ipod was not even my itouch that COULD get a wifi signal it was just a nano. Now both of those items the nano and the DVD player have no possibility of interfering with air traffic controls,pilot communication,air signals etc. I don't mind shutting stuff (especially things that can send out signals) off because its only a period of a few minutes but out of curiosity why is it all items need shutting down. Even after you have listened to safety announcements and also power down electronics that have no capability of hurting anything.

So back to the question, why do all electronics need shut down even ones that seem somewhat useless to the flight process.
because I asked a flight attendant once and she looked at my and said, "because its procedure and we said so" Well that didn't really answer my question.

Also like I said before I don't mind powering anything down when asked, my question is just complete curiosity because it seemed like certain things wouldn't affect or bother the flight.

·
Registered
257 Posts
koolmnbv said:
So back to the question, why do all electronics need shut down even ones that seem somewhat useless to the flight process.
because I asked a flight attendant once and she looked at my and said, "because its procedure and we said so" Well that didn't really answer my question.
According to the flight attendant I asked it's a safety issue. If your listening to mp3's or looking at a screen then you are not paying attention to the safety messages. Also, the most likely times for an emergency is during takeoffs and landings. So that is why all electronic gear MUST be turned off at those times. By the way this is an FAA directive and is not dependant on airline.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts