Kindle Forum banner

Kindle and Cellphone risks

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Tris 
#1 ·
Is there a connection between what cellphones emit and what the Kindle gives off?  There is concern now that waves of energy that come from cell phones emit radio frequency magnetic fields. They speed up brain activity in the area closest to the phone antenna.

I do feel vibration coming from my Kindle and wonder what might be causing that.

#4 ·
joangolfing said:
There is concern now that waves of energy that come from cell phones emit radio frequency magnetic fields. They speed up brain activity in the area closest to the phone antenna.
There is no credible, generally agreed-upon evidence that any electromagnetic radiation from cell phones or Kindles/iPads, etc. have any detrimental effect on humans, despite large numbers of studies that have been done. It's not ionizing radiation (which will have an effect). This is not to say yet that there is zero effect, just that there is no factual reason for saying that it harms people. Many people wish to limit their exposure to RF fields, and that's fine, just not supported at the moment by experimental evidence.

The 3G Kindle has a cell phone built into it, you just can't talk on it.

Mike

#5 ·
jmiked said:
There is no credible, generally agreed-upon evidence that any electromagnetic radiation from cell phones or Kindles/iPads, etc. have any detrimental effect on humans, despite large numbers of studies that have been done.
I find it amazing how far the worry of cell phone radiation gets, sometimes. At one point, a friend of mine practically had a tin-foil hat on because of all the reports he read about the evils of cell phones.

#7 ·
Yeah, there's no credible evidence that cellphones cause cancer.  The story that came out yesterday just said that cellphones added to a list of things that may possibly cause cancer, not something that is definitively linked to cancer.

The research is very mixed--even in studies that are exposing rats etc. to extreme levels of cell phone radiation (far more than any of us will ever be exposed to) there are mixed findings.

So it's even more overblown that concerns over cancer from alternative sweetners like Aspartame because they cause cancer in lab rats in extreme doses that no human will ever consume.

But some people are tin foil hat types and just worry about everything endlessly.  I'll live my life, take good care of myself by eating decent and working out etc, and die when I die. :D  No sense wasting time and energy worrying over every little thing that may possible cause cancer or some other problem.

#9 ·
There is nothing in the Kindle to vibrate. Odd. No spinning disk, etc.

The new study that was in the paper today was about cell phones, which would mean 3G, not wi-fi. Don't know if the same radiation issue could exist, but you don't put a cell phone to your head while using wi-fi, normally. And, you don't put a Kindle up to your ear, either, even if you have the 3G version. KingAl is right about the inverse squares law.

There's a pretty good article in the Washington Post today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/cellphones-and-cancer/2011/06/01/AGn59GGH_blog.html.

#11 ·
NapCat said:
Gasp !!

Back to sand-script and smoke signals for me !!
Don't inhale, the smoke in quantity is most likely cancer causing.
And the sand could be damaging to your skin.

#12 ·
SusanCassidy said:
There is nothing in the Kindle to vibrate. Odd. No spinning disk, etc.

The new study that was in the paper today was about cell phones, which would mean 3G, not wi-fi. Don't know if the same radiation issue could exist, but you don't put a cell phone to your head while using wi-fi, normally. And, you don't put a Kindle up to your ear, either, even if you have the 3G version. KingAl is right about the inverse squares law.

There's a pretty good article in the Washington Post today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/cellphones-and-cancer/2011/06/01/AGn59GGH_blog.html.
Thought the same thing about the "vibration", the closest thing that I've gotten is a high pitch sound when I turn pages on my old K1. However I do have sensitive hearing...

Tris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.