Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my K2 last week I did not opt to buy the extended warranty.  While going around the forum I see some of you have been experiencing the sun fading issue and am now questioning my decision not to spend the extra $65.  I normally never buy an extended warranty but I have never purchased anything like the K2 before.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
You will not need the extended warrenty for the sun fading issue.  From everything I've read you will know immediately.  Also, the issue has not been coming up as often.  Again, from what I understand the newer ones are not as prone to this problem. 

Now, do I think the $65.00 warranty is worth it for other issues.  I do beleive Square Trade has a warranty as well.  I'm thinking it's $50.00, but I can't recall specifics on the K2. 
deb

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've heard the outside companies provide better value on their warranties, but I am always leery of things like that.  I got the amazon extended warranty myself.  It only adds another year, but it also covers one incident of user damage which was worth it to me.  You need to decide in the first 30 days on your warranty though, not sure if the same holds true for squaretrade and the like.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
The KindleBoards affiliate link below lists each of the warranty options available for Kindle. Right now the Amazon warranty (through Service Net Solutions) is $65 for an additional year of warranty for Kindle 2; the Square Trade warranty is $49.99 for an additional 2 years of warranty.

http://www.tinyurl.com/kindle-warranty

I agree with the above posts that the extended warranty may not be needed for the sun fading issue; that symptom seems to show up right away if it exists, and so would be covered by the automatic 1-year warranty.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't usually buy extended warranties -- especially on electronics.  I did buy the 2-year for my K2.  Here is why.  The extended warranty gives you one free I was stupid and broke my Kindle replacement during the 2 year term. 

As far as regular stuff goes, in my experience if an electronic device is going to fail, it will do it in the first few months -- usually.  Dropping it and breaking the screen is only covered under the extended warranty.  So, I bought it.

Elaine
Norman, Oklahoma

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I passed on the amazon extended warranty. I may regret it in the future but I didn't purchase within the 1st 30days so now I am out of luck.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Didn't buy it, personally I'm not into forking over cash on the off chance that something "might" break during an extended warranty period.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I never buy extended warranties.  I used to work in retail business and our managers always pushed us so hard to sell the extended warranties because those things are pure profit to vendors.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've bought the extended warranty on two other things in my days... both broke.  My laptop had to have the motherboard replaced twice and my phone has gone through the wash.  I'm hoping my Kindle doesn't follow the trend, but for something I plan to carry with me a lot (like the other two devices) I usually like to have extra protection.

And yeah, they're pure profit.  The odds of it breaking to begin with are worth the gamble.  On top of that there's people whose devices break and they A) Don't know how to claim, B) Forgot they had a warranty, C) Just buy a new one because it's not worth the hassle.  The same thing goes for preorders and it's why you're always pushed to preorder things.  They either guarantee you'll be back to give them your business or you forget and they get a free $5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts