Kindle Forum banner

People name their Kindles. Please post name and gender!

• Female

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Male

Votes: 25 16.8%
  • Gender neutral

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • No name

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • It's a machine, fercryinoutloud!

Votes: 29 19.5%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sense that the names are more female than male and that women more than men name their Kindles.  Let's find out!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
No name. I never named cars, either

·
Registered
685 Posts
The only reason I have for naming that I can see is so you know which Kindle you are downloading a book for when you have more than one Kindle.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My first Kindle was named Emerson and my second is named Baxter.  I have a new one coming today because I had the fade in sunlight problem, and if this one is okay his name will probably be Peabody.

edit - now that my new one has arrived, it seems more "female" to me than the others did.  Luckily, the Peabody name works either way.  I just thought it was funny that a little plastic box could seem to have a personality.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Mine is named Jinx...from Space Camp :p For the longest time my Kindle didn't have a name and it just hit me that he should be named Jinx :p

We also have two copy machines in the PTA office that I named...the Riso machine is Herman and the regular copy machine is George. What's funnier is that I have everyone calling the machines by their names :p

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
My Kindle is named Radar.  I am not generally given to naming machines, but "he" is so much a part of my life now I quit thinking of him as "it".  Radar became his name because I live in Ottumwa, Iowa and it is fun to download books from Amazon to "Radar's Hometown" - silly, maybe - but fun, definitely!  I guess that is how I decided what his gender is too!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
mine is female - Minerva  and Kindle 1 was Athena -- do you sense a theme there  ;D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
No name here.  I've tried a couple of times, but it doesn't strike me as having gender or a personality.  Named a few cars in the past (though not my current one, which I've had the longest), and our Roomba vacuums, but so far the K2 doesn't seem to need a name.  

Oddly enough, I've just realized I don't talk to it.  Or to my iPhone.  Which, considering I talk to most computers all the time, is kind of interesting.  Something in my brain doesn't seem to equate either of these devices with a computer?  That might possibly indicate that the UI on both is pretty sound--to me, the one is a PHONE, the other is a BOOK--never mind what else they're capable of or how they manage those tasks.

Hmm........

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I haven't named my Kindle. I have heard it referred to as, Where's my Kindle?

My rifle on the other hand is named The Critter!

-Sailor

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I named mine Sappho, after a poet from around 600 BC. She was often refered to as the 10th muse. My car is Mina...but that's really just short for Lumina. The car is female, totally female and I often say "she" when talking about her. My Kindle...I don't know yet. I liked the name, but I am not sure it fits and I my have to change it. I kind of get a male vibe from "it". I have been taking a break from "it" and am hacking through my DTB's this week. We will see when I pick "it" up again!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I name my cars, I name my GPS systems, I name everything, except my Kindle. I don't know why, but I've had no urge to name it.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have Sir Sterndale Bennett and Hugh, although this weekend, Hugh was happily known as "the purple folder."

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I call my kindle "kindle" and I have never named my cars, although I have named my pets, don't know why, peer pressure I guess.  I do talk to my computer (if you can call yelling and cursing it talking  ;D )

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Female- Melia (hawaiian for Plumeria, a flower...my favorite flower, which I have tattooed to my leg)
plumeria=>

its also an old alias....practically no one knew my real name in school

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine is Kate Kindle.  Female.  And I'm female, too.  I dunno.  She just looked like a girl. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I call mine "My Kindle".  Probably means I am not willing to share.  I do like "Bob" for Battery operated book. Good idea purdueav8r!
It is practical and easy to remember.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts