Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Since the Nook ereaders are Android based, it makes sense that other apps (including the Kindle app) could be installed and run on it. The Nook Color has already been rooted and other Android versions installed (allowing Kindle for Android to run). It won't take long for the Nook Touch to be rooted.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you root (jailbreak) a nookcolor you can run a lot of Android reading apps including Kindle for Android. I've been using it on my rooted nookcolor for a long time. It is actually one of the better reading apps for Android and yes it will do the Whispernet syncing with Kindle Store books. I prefer the iOS Kindle app though as Android is not very polished nor is it all that stable on the rooted nookcolor.

EDIT: I didn't see that you said Nook Touch and thought nookcolor instead. It looked very clunky on the eInk Nook Touch even though the Touch and the nookcolor supposedly have the same processor. I consider the app running on the nookcolor to be very good, but that video of it running on a Nook Touch showed it to be way too slow to be useful. I doubt it will ever run well on an eInk device unless they push up the processor speed, and even then the refresh rate will be brutal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fuschiahedgehog said:
I have a 7" Android tablet (Archos 70IT) and have the Kindle, Nook, and Aldiko ebook apps installed. All present a pleasant reading experience.
How is it for reading? I've got an ASUS Transformer and I find reading on the screen really uncomfortable. Does the smaller form factor make it any nicer?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've never had a problem reading on a backlit screen, or on a tiny screen for that matter.  On my regular Kindle I use the smallest font, and to be honest if ithe tiny font were just a bit smaller that would be about perfect.  My big problem with using the tablet as an ereader are ergonomics.  It's not as comfortable to hold for long periods as the kindle is (I have rheumatoid arthritis, and my hands are affected).  And it's easy to get distracted by all the other apps installed. :eek: ;D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree with the lack of ergonomics. My nookcolor has a terrific screen for reading, but with no buttons designed for reader apps, it does get clunky to use. Some of the Android apps allow you to use the volume buttons to turn pages, but they are awkwardly located as they were not intended for that purpose. Android was not designed for tablets and without the phone buttons it can be a pain at times.

The nookcolor has a 1024 x 600 pixel screen compared to many, if not most, 7 inch Android tablets that only have 800 x 480 pixel screens, so the text is very crisp and easy to read. I think reading text on a 800 x 480 screen would cause a lot of eyestrain though, at least for me. I know reading text on my iPad can cause eyestrain, but the iPad doesn't render text very well. Of course nothing beats a good eInk in a well lit area!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
As a writer, I love this idea more than I can express.  I sell more books via Kindle than I do the B&N PubIt! platform, as it is.  To be able to tell Nook Touch people to get the app would be awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts