Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife reads allot, a book a day or more. Honestly if it wasn't for the library I doubt we could keep her in books at the rate she reads. She reads Hysterical Historical Romances, my questions is are there allot of free or inexpensive books out there? I have searched for myself, I read sci-fi/fantasy and some non-fiction but wouldn't know where to start on searching for books for her.

Also, is the kindle with offers a good choice? can you run it for extended periods with the wifi off?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
DET--

There is a Historical Romance thread here in the Book Corner that has many suggestions; also you can go to the Book Bazaar. Pinned to the top of the Bazaar is a thread "Master KB Author List by Genre" and you can find a list of author-members who write historical fiction.

Be careful, our HF fans here are pretty passionate. They may want to strike out more of your post, LOL!

For the Kindle with special offers question, you should ask about it in the Let's Talk Kindle section, though there are already some posts about K3G/WiFi battery life. There is no real difference between the special offers 3G/WiFi and the "regular" 3G/WiFi, as far as I've read.

Betsy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll just lurk then, until I get enough titles to pre-load it for her. I am thinking about getting the DX for her but not sure. After I give it to her I'll suggest the sub forum you mentioned.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Dolorous Edd Tollet said:
I'll just lurk then, until I get enough titles to pre-load it for her. I am thinking about getting the DX for her but not sure. After I give it to her I'll suggest the sub forum you mentioned.

Thanks
If she's that much of a reader, which I can relate to, then you may not want to go for the DX. Any extra weight can be a little wearing when reading so often. Also, you should see if your local library has epubs. There have been some talks about the Kindle taking them. I'm still skeptical about that but you never know. :) btw- It's a really nice thing to do and I'm sure she'll love it.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
With the Kindle 3 you can adjust the size of the font, as well.  I agree, that I like the K3 better than the much larger DX.  I like being able to easily hold the entire reader with one hand while reading.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the K3 wifi, I thought about getting the one with the offers but she would quickly notice that I don't get the spam she would and wonder why.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
fayrlite said:
If she's that much of a reader, which I can relate to, then you may not want to go for the DX. Any extra weight can be a little wearing when reading so often. Also, you should see if your local library has epubs. There have been some talks about the Kindle taking them. I'm still skeptical about that but you never know. :) btw- It's a really nice thing to do and I'm sure she'll love it.
I concur that someone who reads a lot would probably be more comfortable with the standard Kindle. But if she needs large font the DX is nice because more words fit on the screen with the larger size print.

Re: library usage, Amazon and Overdrive has announced that library borrowing will be coming to Kindle sometime this year. It is not yet clear whether that means that Kindle will get a software update allowing it utilize ePub files or that Overdrive will have compatible .mobi files to lend. Because of some of the features they are touting -- you'll be able to make notes in a library book and still have them if you borrow it again later or even buy the same book from Amazon, and it is supposed to be available for ANY Kindle including 1st generation devices -- I think that there will be a conversion thing that happens via Amazon's servers.

However it happens, it will be a definite positive, so if your wife currently reads a lot of library books, you'll want to check to see if your local library system is connected to overdrive so she can keep borrowing with the Kindle! If it's not, there are a number of library systems that have out of area memberships for fairly reasonable rates that would allow ebook borrowing.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I'll note that, as far as I know, of the libraries usually cited as good deals for out of area memberships, the NYPL recently stopped allowing out of area memberships according to their website, and the Philadelphia Free Library used to be a good deal but it's now $35 a year according to theirs. (I was looking around recently.(  I think Fairfax, VA still allows out of area memberships but as it is my local library, I haven't checked what the cost is.  Perhaps some others will weigh in with more info.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
It also occurs to me. . . . . .if the lending is implemented between Overdrive and Amazon, it might be that a library membership isn't needed at all.  I think that if I was going to have to pay money for a membership, I'd wait to see how it's all supposed to work.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the K3 wifi, I thought about getting the one with the offers but she would quickly notice that I don't get the spam she would and wonder why.
The Kindle with offers has some great deals on it. If your wife loves outlet malls, clearance sales, and bargain bins...she will probably love the special offers.

The independents who sell their books between .99 and 2.99 put out some great reads. Independent authors are one of the best things with the Kindle. Click this link and then sort the books by low to high to get the free and cheap historical romances on Kindle (if you have already done this, my apologies)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_3?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A%21133141011%2Cn%3A154606011%2Cn%3A157028011%2Cn%3A158566011%2Cn%3A158571011&bbn=158566011&ie=UTF8&qid=1306855181&rnid=158566011

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
It also occurs to me. . . . . .if the lending is implemented between Overdrive and Amazon, it might be that a library membership isn't needed at all. I think that if I was going to have to pay money for a membership, I'd wait to see how it's all supposed to work.
Overdrive works through the library systems. I use Overdrive to get books from Fairfax County.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Overdrive works through the library systems. I use Overdrive to get books from Fairfax County.

Betsy
Right -- I understand that -- but what I'm wondering is, because of the 'save my notes' feature that Amazon has announced, if maybe it will be possible to borrow directly via Overdrive rather than through a library. . . . .though I guess that would really annoy the librarians, huh? :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Right -- I understand that -- but what I'm wondering is, because of the 'save my notes' feature that Amazon has announced, if maybe it will be possible to borrow directly via Overdrive rather than through a library. . . . .though I guess that would really annoy the librarians, huh? :)
I doubt that overdrive will work without some library since it is the library that is paying for you to be able to check the book out. It is free to you, but not free to the library for you to check out the books.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife reads allot, a book a day or more. Honestly if it wasn't for the library I doubt we could keep her in books at the rate she reads. She reads Hysterical Historical Romances, my questions is are there allot of free or inexpensive books out there? I have searched for myself, I read sci-fi/fantasy and some non-fiction but wouldn't know where to start on searching for books for her.

Also, is the kindle with offers a good choice? can you run it for extended periods with the wifi off?

Thanks
There is one important caveat. The Kindle is the only e-reader that currently doesn't allow for library loans. In other words, you can't check out books from your local library to your Kindle. I hope that's something they'll remedy soon, but currently I have to read e-books from the library on my computer or my phone.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
jongoff said:
There is one important caveat. The Kindle is the only e-reader that currently doesn't allow for library loans. In other words, you can't check out books from your local library to your Kindle. I hope that's something they'll remedy soon, but currently I have to read e-books from the library on my computer or my phone.
Amazon has announced that the Kindle will (eventually) be able to read library books.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I'm not sure how that would work; the libraries purchase the licenses, not Overdrive. I can't see Overdrive suddenly owning enough licenses of books to supply a national audience. Or else I'm not understanding you. ;D

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
No. . .you're understanding me. . . .I'm not familiar with exactly how it works. Wasn't clear on who actually held the rights to lend.

I did renew my Arlington County Library credentials when I first heard the 'coming soon' news. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts