Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been suggested before but I was just thinking what a great portable dictionary the Kindle makes.

I've been lying out on my deck reading
(DTB only)

and as usual had my Kindle next to me in case I wanted to switch books. I ran across several words with which I wasn't familiar (Magdalenian culture and ungulate, although I should have known the second), and I just turned on the Kindle and looked them up. So nice not to have to get up to check the big dictionary. The preloaded dictionary is quite decent.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I LOVE the dictionary feature as well. I find myself using it quite a few times with almost every book. Even some words that I know the definition or could figure it out I will still look up just to get a better grip, see alternate definitions etc.

Its a really great feature

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Love the dictionary feature. helped me learn so many new words over the last six months. Actually been carrying a little notebook so I can write down the definitions of the words I don't know. it helps that the dictionary also lists a sentence in which the word is being used at the bottom of the defin.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
The dictionary feature is great for me. When reading a paper book, usually if I come across a word I don't know I'll just keep reading, being too lazy to spend the minute it would take to get up, grab the dictionary, find the word, then put it back. Now I just move the cursor with a few controller movements and (usually) get the definition without having to move my lazy butt. :)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
For my dtbs I wish I could use my brother's quicklink pen elite, which its a pen/dictionary thing that scans a word on paper. it also says the word. parents paid more for that than my kindle when it first came out. he doesn't use it, someone needs to put it to use

·
Registered
257 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
For my dtbs I wish I could use my brother's quicklink pen elite, which its a pen/dictionary thing that scans a word on paper. it also says the word. parents paid more for that than my kindle when it first came out. he doesn't use it, someone needs to put it to use

Awesome, I didn't know such a thing existed. I'm usually too lazy to look up words when reading a DTB, but something like that would be fast and convenient and good for lazy people like me. Still, for that price, I think I'll stick to the Kindle :p

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That is awesome, got to love technology

1 - 9 of 9 Posts