Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving in five days to go to the beach for vacation, and I am definitely bringing my K2 along. Has anyone taken their Kindle to the beach? I don't have time to order a water-proof cover, so I'm planning on using a freezer baggie. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks!
Belinda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
I just got back from the Keys and didn't use anything.  I will say that I do have it in an m-edge cover with a boxwave screen protector on it.  It survived the trip fine.  But I also didn't take it into the water with me and made sure my hands were dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
bfc2345 said:
I am leaving in five days to go to the beach for vacation, and I am definitely bringing my K2 along. Has anyone taken their Kindle to the beach? I don't have time to order a water-proof cover, so I'm planning on using a freezer baggie. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks!
Belinda
This is a perfect time to run The Sun Test. My concern for you is not taking your Kindle to the beach necessarily, but more that the text in your Kindle doesn't fade as a result of the sun's radiance. There are many posts, here, discussing this problem.

I hope you don't have this problem, but definitely be aware of it.

Have fun!

Advice: Don't read while you're swimming, and don't use it as a Frisbee or surfboard. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
I think you can purchase the Dry-Tek pouches at local sporting goods stores.  They offer better protection than a ziploc bag if there is any danger of the Kindle accidentally getting submerged.

We were at Myrtle Beach last week & on one of the days the winds were over 20 mph.  I was glad that I had the Trendy Digital pouch to protect my Kindle from the blowing sand. 

I had to take my Kindle out of the Oberon cover to put it in the waterproof pouch.  I left my cover in my Borsa Bella bag in my beach bag.  Then I slipped the Kindle, still in the waterproof pouch, inside the case just to make sure it was protected with everything else in the beach bag.

(I was being cautious since someone posted that they got a nick in their screen when their child dropped a shell into their beach bag.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
lynninva said:
(I was being cautious since someone posted that they got a nick in their screen when their child dropped a shell into their beach bag.)
This is why I leave my kids (including my husband home) when I go to the beach. Plus they get bored fast. They just don't understand the beauty of sitting on the beach under and umbrella with a book in your hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I just spent a week in the Bahamas on the beach with my K1 in an m-edge liesure cover AND protacted in a Zip-Lock freezer bag.  It was just fine.  The m-edge or the bag might have been enough, but wanted to be sure.  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Have taken mine to the beach multiple times, no plastic bag, was just careful not to let it bake in direct sunlight if I put it down, and careful not to leave it out in the open unattended.  I don't like using a plastic bag.  It was never really near the water.  I carried it in its M-edge cover in my hand while walking to the beach instead of throwing it in a beach bag with all our other stuff.  Just use common sense.

The beach is a great place to use you Kindle.  You can read in all sorts of "lolling positions" holding your lightweight Kindle and using half a thumb muscle to turn pages-- perfect for a lazy beach day!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,559 Posts
CoolMom1960 said:
This is why I leave my kids (including my husband home) when I go to the beach. Plus they get bored fast. They just don't understand the beauty of sitting on the beach under and umbrella with a book in your hand.
I know exactly what you mean. My ideal vacation is a week or so where I can read when I want, jump in the pool when I want, and eat and sleep when I want. DH always wants to have something to DO. If we rent a place, he'll putter around looking for things that are broken and fix them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Is anyone afraid of getting their Kindle stolen on the beach? I want to take mine to the beach this summer but I do leave my chair from time to time..lol. I'm afraid that if someone sees it they might want to make it theirs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Yeah, I'm also afraid about bringing it to the beach and leaving it there if we go for a swim in the ocean. I mean, I usually have my ipod and just hide it in the bottom of my beach bag, but the kindle will be a bit bigger and possibly more "oooh" than ipods are now. But my friends and I are going in a couple weeks for a weekend at the beach, and I'm most likely going to bring it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
I've read where some people have put their kindles in ziploc bags and have had condensation problems. I'm considering getting the trendy digital waterproof bag. Does it have condensation issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I know exactly what you mean. My ideal vacation is a week or so where I can read when I want, jump in the pool when I want, and eat and sleep when I want. DH always wants to have something to DO. If we rent a place, he'll putter around looking for things that are broken and fix them.
Wow, you just described what happened the last time we went to the beach together! He would also never consider 3 margaritas and a basket of chicken wings dinner either. I still love him though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
KimmyA said:
I've read where some people have put their kindles in ziploc bags and have had condensation problems. I'm considering getting the trendy digital waterproof bag. Does it have condensation issues?
I didn't have a problem with condensation when I used the Trendy Digital pouch. It was not extremely hot - air temp was in the mid-70s that week. Some days it was overcast & some very bright sun (making it feel hotter) and I didn't have any condensation. I put the Kindle into the pouch while we were still inside the air-conditioned house.

The pouch came in handy when the overcast sky decided to start raining on us suddenly one day.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top