Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many mentions of the Kindle on TV these days that it probably is no longer too newsworthy to mention. But on CNBC's Fast Money, some analysts said the the K will seriously hurt Barnes and Noble, and basically intimated that the local book store will eventually be an anachronism. The K has also been mentioned many times in the last few weeks on various business shows that I have not bothered to bring to your attention, because as I said, mentioning the K on TV is becoming commonplace.

Steve

·
Registered
221 Posts
stevene9 said:
But on CNBC's Fast Money, some analysts said the the K will seriously hurt Barnes and Noble, and basically intimated that the local book store will eventually be an anachronism.
This could be a very real possibility. NetFlix, Blockbuster.com, and cable boxes have closed down many local video store rental chains. However, I think the key will be more product adaptation. People already owned DVD players, it was just the matter of changing the distribution method. Kindles will need to be much more prevalent and so will other devices that can support e-books (such as Kindle's iPhone application.)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Sparkplug said:
This could be a very real possibility. NetFlix, Blockbuster.com, and cable boxes have closed down many local video store rental chains. However, I think the key will be more product adaptation. People already owned DVD players, it was just the matter of changing the distribution method. Kindles will need to be much more prevalent and so will other devices that can support e-books (such as Kindle's iPhone application.)
It may happen, but I agree, many more ebook devices and years down the road.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, I imagine it will have some effect on them.  I know that just the other day when I was out shopping, my friend asked if I wanted to go to Barnes & Noble and browse.  Before the Kindle, it was one of my favorite things to do.  Now I'm just not as interested, I have so many downloaded books waiting to be read.

·
Registered
740 Posts
intinst (or 1204 if you prefer) said:
It may happen, but I agree, many more ebook devices and years down the road.
And to add, lower priced devices. I think $359 is a little too much for a device to take off.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, B&N did just buy Fictionwise. 

So I actually expect Fictionwise to do some big expanding with B&N muscle behind it.  So it sounds like they are anticipating some changes as well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LaraAmber said:
Oh I would still browse B&N, with my Kindle logged into the Kindle store. You could leave with a good dozen sample chapters.
That's the problem for stores. You may go in and browse, but them you download them on your K. It doen't do them any good unless you nuy the books there.

Steve

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
stevene9 said:
That's the problem for stores. You may go in and browse, but them you download them on your K. It doen't do them any good unless you nuy the books there.

Steve
COFFEE, STEVE, COFFEE!!! ::) I go to B&N for the Starbucks.... ::)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
While big box chains like Borders (who's in trouble already..) and B&N might suffer, I expect the small local stores and especially used book stores to continue to thrive.

There's going to be a market for those hard-to-find books, as well as the coffeeshop/bookstore experience for a good long while.

I know I'd be really disappointed to lose my local used book store, and of course the famous Powell's in Portland. I could take it or leave it with the chains.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The Borders execs are probably kicking themselves right about now for ending that 7-year partnership with Amazon...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I don't think Barnes & Noble has anything to worry about yet.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I wonder if there has been an incease in coffee shop business now that Kindlers can bring their own bookstore.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's not the "Kindle" killing book stores, it's the internet in general.

1.  People aren't reading as many books.
2.  People who ARE reading books are buying them from Amazon

·
Registered
138 Posts
SimonStern2 said:
It's not the "Kindle" killing book stores, it's the internet in general.

1. People aren't reading as many books.
2. People who ARE reading books are buying them from Amazon
There is a lot of truth in what you say.

It also true the 'local', 'small' and 'independent' bookstores have been disappearing for years after Barnes & Noble and Boarders moved into their towns.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds....but I can honestly say that I didn't stop spending hours in bookstores because of Amazon or Kindle....I stopped spending hours in bookstores when I could no longer pay the inflated prices that publishers have attached to books. Say what you will about library books - they are certainly cost effective.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
LaraAmber said:
Oh I would still browse B&N, with my Kindle logged into the Kindle store. You could leave with a good dozen sample chapters.

Lara Amber

PS At least buy a coffee or a box of chocolates on your way out.
lol...This is what I do between classes. I still buy my journals and notebooks (the cute one with the little characters) from the bookstore. Still go to the book store to buy gifts for people. Its a known fact in my family that if I am going to get gift for someone its going to be a book or book related. I am working to get my family to read...Meanwhile my friends already read.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anita said:
There is a lot of truth in what you say.

It also true the 'local', 'small' and 'independent' bookstores have been disappearing for years after Barnes & Noble and Boarders moved into their towns.
Well, the big box stores (Wallmart, Home Depot, and for the purposes of this discussion, B&N, Borders) have crushed the little "ma and pa" type stores. The internet is the ULTIMATE big box store though and when the 15yr olds are 60yr olds there may not BE retail stores anymore.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
All the e-books will be cutting margin profits.  This is the age of digital media, where mp3, pirated software and movies, and now books in electronic format dominate the market.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts