Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy Bibles are difficult to read in paper form since they are heavy and have small print. A lot of people like to read them though and take comfort from them. Once it is put on the Kindle, it is not any more difficult to read than any other book.

One of my older sisters got a Kindle about a month ago. Her husband bought her one since he likes to read lots of different types of books on his Kindle. Since she is an avid gardener, she spends most of her time outside working in the gardening and in her greenhouse. So she doesn't have much time to read her Kindle.

But she reads her Bible on the Kindle every night since it is a lot easier to read than her paper Bible. She said the other day that she loves the Holman Bible since it is easy to understand.

My other older sister likes to read the Bible on her Kindle too. She also likes the Holman Bible, a modern translation, which she got from Amazon for free. She told me the other day that she got the King James Bible too since she likes the ways it sounds, although it is not as clear as modern translations.

My wife has some problems holding a heavy Bible, due to health issues, so takes her Kindle to her Bible study and uses it instead. She likes the Holman Bible too since it is easy to read. The Southern Baptist holds the copyright to it, but puts it out for free on Amazon since they believe that people shouldn't have to pay to read God's Holy Word.

Southern Baptist preachers love to jump around when they are preaching. They jump from John, to Luke, and maybe back to Mathew. That can get to be a little problem with the Kindle.

I noticed that the Kindle Bible has direct verse jump which makes it easy to find verses. So that should allow anyone to keep up with those feisty preachers.

I may buy one for my wife so she can find verses easier. I may even use it myself when she manages to drag me to church on Sunday mornings.

There are also a lot of Bible reference books on Amazon too which would be helpful. An old lady struggled into my wife's Baptist Bible study group carrying a four pound reference book. I told my wife that the woman should have gotten the reference book on the Kindle and it wouldn't have been such a chore.

So the Kindle is made for reading the Bible and makes it a lot more enjoyable and easier to understand. If I were more Bible literate I am sure that I could find some prophesy that foretold the coming of the Kindle. God works in strange ways!

So do you read The Holy Bible on the Kindle and which version do you have? Is it easy to read on the Kindle?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have 13 various Bible versions on my K3 and the ease of use varies from edition to edition.  I have only paid for one - the NIV Archeological Study Bible ($1.99).  We bought the DTB edition of this Bible two years ago for our son and it cost us over $60.00.  I carry my K3 to church and Bible studies as it's easier to carry than my heavy paper editions.  It's not as easy or as quick to find verses in the eBooks editions as in the paper editions as I'm much more used to the paper versions.  The more I use the eBibles the easier it becomes to get around in them.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tatiana, don't tell my wife how many versions you have since she will want me to buy a bunch more.

I notice DTB a lot to refer to paper books.  What exactly does the initials DTB stand for?

·
Registered
864 Posts
DTB = Dead Tree Books = non eBooks or books made with paper (either hardback or paperback).

As I said earlier, I only paid for one of the 13 editions I have of the Bible.  The other 12 I picked up as they were offered free from Amazon for Kindle.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DTB = Dead Tree Books.  That is funny!

You got a heck of a deal on the NIV Archeological Study Bible for $1.99.  Now the price is $19.99.  I wonder what God thinks about that?

Since that bible has a lot of pictures, do they show well?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you enjoy the NET bible, you should check out their website!

www.bible.org

I do my daily reading on the Kindle, but find it much to slow trying to look up verses for study. Kindle needs a better way of flipping back and forth within a book.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have two Bibles on the Kindle:  the HCSB and the ESV, both free versions presented by the publishers.  However, I still use paper Bibles for most of my daily reading and study. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts