Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is anything anyone would be interested in ... but I thought it might be a neat idea.

A forum where I'm a longtime member has a "Helping Hands Fund" for members who are experiencing difficulties -- like when one member's home burned down. We're taking up a collection for another member in dire straits right now, and I decided that instead of paying $15 for a Kindle book I really really want, I would donate that money instead and just wait for the book at the library.

Then I started thinking, what if we ALL did that? If everyone -- or even just a few of us -- gave up one Kindle book a month and donated the money instead, and we pooled it, we could help a lot of charities. (Maybe they could rotate each month or something?)

Any interest?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
If you scroll all the way down, you will notice we have a donate button for kindleboards but also a donation area for breast cancer, just click on the pink ribbon.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That's a really sweet idea, and I could see lots of people being on board if there was a specific event like you mentioned, like if one of our members needed money for cancer treatments or something, but.....

Well, we already give to charity.  DH and I support our church and other organizations that we feel strongly about.  I'm guessing that many other KB members do as well.  It's not that we wouldn't be willing to consider donating elsewhere, just that it doesn't seem right to pressure people into giving to some random organization (regardless of worthiness) just because others are.  And I totally understand that you're not "pressuring" anyone, but I'm afraid it would be implicitly there if, say, every month there was a thread that was like, ok, who's giving to XYZ charity this month?

As Anju mentioned, you can donate to help pay for Kindleboards (and I didn't realize the pink ribbon was a link!), and there are also other Kindle-related organizations, like Project Gutenberg, that you can support.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anju No. 469 said:
If you scroll all the way down, you will notice we have a donate button for kindleboards but also a donation area for breast cancer, just click on the pink ribbon.
Oh, I had no idea about the breast cancer donation! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marianner said:
And I totally understand that you're not "pressuring" anyone, but I'm afraid it would be implicitly there if, say, every month there was a thread that was like, ok, who's giving to XYZ charity this month?
That's a good point ... I hadn't thought of that!

Well, maybe it's an idea to keep in mind if the board has a specific cause or a member in need it wants to donate to down the road :)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Can't ever say no to charity

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
That is a nice, kindhearted idea. My plan is to keep our charity link to registered (i.e. tax-deductible) charities. There are always more good causes than can be supported, but our charity link at the bottom of the page is one way we can spread a little good into the world. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
There is also a link to donate to KindleBoards, if anyone is so inclined. Harvey likes to keep it low key and doesn't want to pressure anyone, but if you enjoy your time here and want to donate a few bucks, he really appreciates it.

L

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think, that if the situation came up, and one of our own here on the kboards were in real need...I just can't see everyone sitting around not doing anything to help. I don't think it needs to be "official", just so long as everyone knows we care and we are here to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts