Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the constant rise and fall of kindle book prices?  I have noticed that when a new book comes out in a series or by an author that the prices of the other books have risen.  Not cool Amazon!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Me too. I have bought a couple of 1.00 books since the end of the year but that's all. It's not like I didn't have a bunch of books stored up to read though. The prices seemed to be so much cheaper a few weeks ago. I just wish I had bought everything I wanted then.

Melissa

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tell me about it. I was about to purchase this book for my Kindle until I noticed the $10.67 price. The author has just released a new novel, so there might be a connection.

Instead, I got it from the library. I just can't bring myself to spend $10++ on a Kindlebook yet.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jeff said:
Amazon has limited control over pricing. The retail price is negotiated with the publisher and, in most cases, the publisher can change it at a moment's notice. Leslie's a publisher and the in house expert. I'm sure she'll weight in on this to explain better than I can.
The publisher can change it for the small, indie type presses. I think the "big houses" have a whole different pricing scheme/structure from the little guys. In the latter case, once the book has been "sold" (wholesaled) to Amazon, I don't think the publishers have any say at all. In that case, Amazon is running the show, pricing wise.

L

·
Registered
788 Posts
paisley said:
Tell me about it. I was about to purchase this book for my Kindle until I noticed the $10.67 price. The author has just released a new novel, so there might be a connection.

Instead, I got it from the library. I just can't bring myself to spend $10++ on a Kindlebook yet.
That was 9.99 when I got it. Well worth the price too in my opinion, but either way. It'll probably drop again soon. In fact, I could ask Scott why it jumped like that if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It certainly seems to me that a lot of the books I want are going up in price. I decided to do an experiment to find out for sure. I have about 30 books on my wish list. I just print screened them and have labeled the printout with todays date. Now I can check over time to see what happens from here on.

Steve

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I clicked on Plum Spooky from another thread and it was $15.37. I wanted to track the price, but the tracker didn't show up.

I opened a new tab for Amazon to see if the tracker showed when I went straight in to Amazon and it did. The price had also risen to $16.77.

It couldn't have been two minutes between the first and second time I viewed the book.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I clicked on Plum Spooky from another thread and it was $15.37. I wanted to track the price, but the tracker didn't show up.

I opened a new tab for Amazon to see if the tracker showed when I went straight in to Amazon and it did. The price had also risen to $16.77.

It couldn't have been two minutes between the first and second time I viewed the book.
It makes you wonder if they don't have an algorithm that fluctuates the price based on if you have looked at a particular book or type of book in a period of time.

OK, so I need to climb out of the grassy knoll.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I see Plum Spooky at $15.37. However, Amazon does use your browsers cookies to fiddle with prices as well. Try clearing the Amazon cookies, or check the price on another computer and see if they differ.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I see Plum Spooky at $15.37. However, Amazon does use your browsers cookies to fiddle with prices as well. Try clearing the Amazon cookies, or check the price on another computer and see if they differ.
Interesting. I have actually heard that travel sites, like Expedia, fiddle with prices in this way. Never thought that Amazon would do it. I mean, if I see a book for $7.99 and I want it, I'll buy it. It's a little different paying hundreds of dollars for a plane fare. Yes, I am going to shop around and come back and forth to Expedia to check the price.

L

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Interesting. I've been going to school on this thread. I'm a publisher, and no one's messed with the prices I set for the Distant Cousin series, not Amazon, not anyone. And they better not! I want 'em to be bargains and no Amazon or anyone else is going to zoom them up, not without hearing from me!

/////////Al

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I think the problem is the loose nut at the wheel ... me. Clicking through the link shows the Kindle price at $15.37, and the hardback price at $16.77. My bad. Sorry if I misled anyone.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't own a Kindle yet, so this answer may be very obvious for Kindle owners.  I searched a couple books that are old classics in the Kindle Store and they ranged in price from 0.99 to nearly $8.00.  I know the publishers set the prices, but wonder if any of you have noticed a difference between the lower-priced editions and higher-priced editions.  I'm sure I'll be attempting to download classics from FeedBooks.com and other sites, but I'm curious as to the price differential on the same titles.  Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
We already have a thread on variations on Kindle pricing so I am going to merge these two together. Thanks! PM me if you have questions.

Leslie
Neat and tidy Global Mod

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mikuto said:
That was 9.99 when I got it. Well worth the price too in my opinion, but either way. It'll probably drop again soon. In fact, I could ask Scott why it jumped like that if you'd like.
You have an "in" with Sigler? Interesting--that's six degrees of separation right there. I actually was expecting the book to be $9.99, same as a few weeks ago when I requested a sample. It's funny--a 68 cent increase isn't all that much in the grand scheme, but it did keep me from buying the book. It makes me wonder about Amazon's pricing policy and exactly how it gets orchestrated. Is it the publisher who sets the price? Is it an algorithm like others have mentioned? A combination thereof...? It's a curious situation.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
paisley said:
It's funny--a 68 cent increase isn't all that much in the grand scheme, but it did keep me from buying the book.
It's kinda psychological, isn't it? I'm the same way; $9.99 is pretty much my upper price point, though even that has to be for a book I really want. But if that goes above $10, even by just a little bit, I won't buy it. If it creeps a little this time and I give in, then if it creeps a little more next time, will I give in again? And again? If so, before I know it, the price point will have crept a little bit at a time and I'll have kept giving in until I'm looking at $12 or $13 or $15! I'm just not willing to let myself do that, nor let Amazon (or whoever really fiddles with the prices) do that to me.

Already, I see the mid-range price point on "popular" books several years old creeping to a standard range from around $6.49 to about $7.99. So some of those are getting expensive, too. :p

·
Registered
788 Posts
paisley said:
You have an "in" with Sigler? Interesting--that's six degrees of separation right there.
Kinda. If you count meeting the author and chatting over e-mail an in. After meeting him, I noticed that the Kindle version of Contagious has some really weird formatting so we've been communicating about that. I have a feeling it's Crown Publishing or amazon that's setting the price though, since Scott Sigler gives most of his stuff away for free in podcast/pdf format.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts